Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

How about instead of knee jerking a politically partisan argument you try to start a discussion of who she is, what her merits are, where her beliefs fall, etc. You know relevant issues.
I actually felt the slightest bit of pity for Obama here, whoever he may have wanted was pushed aside to accomodate the politically correct choise. Not that he wouldn't have made a bad choice and a probable worse choice, but he had no freedom in making that choice that was his by right. So who is she, is she more moderate, more leftist extremist? Or do we all have to watch Fox news to get her background and career thoroughly documented for us?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:19 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
NPR is reporting that President Obama will nominate Sonia Sotomayor for the Supreme Court. A great choice.

Now watch the right-wing attack machine go to work.
I'm afraid that you really don't have a leg to stand on. The left wing machine went after every republican supreme court pick, just as the right wing will go after any democratic pick.
This really is nothing more then political t*t for tat. Lets not pretend that this is a game devised and played soley by republicans.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Oh, yeah. The constitution has never been changed. It's never grown with understanding or tolerance. It's a completely static thing that tells us everything we need to know.

Please, let's have some intelligent opposition to Sotomayor - not silly right-wing talking points.
I haven;'t seen any from you, so you have no way to talk about what you want. But, that seems to be the way of the liberal. Give me what I want and ********* if you think differently. Yeah, liberal way of the world.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
BS!!! The constitution is not a living one at all. That is and has been what is wrong with this country.
First off, being an amendable document presupposes that the Constitution is not immutable.

Second, since Maberry v Madison (1803) the Court, be it right, left or center, has interpreted the Constitution (making law) based upon Constitutional interpretation as viewed through contemporaneous social and political perceptions.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
What a terrible pick for Supreme Court justice. No fan of the Republicans but I hope they can stop it. I don't want any Justices who believe one race or gender as being superior judges over another. Racism and discrimination has no place on the nation's highest court.
I know. Can you believe that she said that? I couldn't believe some of the stuff I have heard come out of her mouth. Dangerous is what she si and she is bigoted all of the way.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:23 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
How about instead of knee jerking a politically partisan argument you try to start a discussion of who she is, what her merits are, where her beliefs fall, etc. You know relevant issues.
Fine advice. Too bad you go off the deep end with unfounded, unsupported invective:

Quote:
I actually felt the slightest bit of pity for Obama here, whoever he may have wanted was pushed aside to accomodate the politically correct choise. Not that he wouldn't have made a bad choice and a probable worse choice, but he had no freedom in making that choice that was his by right. So who is she, is she more moderate, more leftist extremist? Or do we all have to watch Fox news to get her background and career thoroughly documented for us?
Provide a single bit of basis for any of that.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Please provide a link to Ms. Sotomayor.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Great post.

I only had about 30 minutes to do some research into her background (which is not enough time to make an educated decision on if she's good, bad, lib, conservative, etc.), but I did find this:

1. She was originally appointed as Federal judge by George H. Bush.

2. Princeton Grad, Harvard Law School Grad

3. Believes that US CONSTITUTION SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED, but enforced as is.

4. The Republican who chairs the committee who will oversee her nomination voted for, and supported her nomination as Fed Appeals Judge.

5. She has more judicial experience than any Supreme Court nominee appointed within the past 70+ years.

I really cant believe that based on this mornings announcement, that anyone (especially those here) would have enough time to do any amount of research into her background to make a determination on if she's good or bad. From what I saw and read, based on her original confirmation hearings, that she DOES NOT WANT TO CHANGE, ALTER, OR HAVE LIVING CONSTITUTION. She says it should be interpreted AS WRITTEN.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Not exactly my favorite pick for the position, but I suppose Obama could have done a lot worse..

Old 05-26-2009, 07:33 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Not exactly my favorite pick for the position, but I suppose Obama could have done a lot worse..
Who was your favorite pick? Why not her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies