Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM

437 posts, read 930,029 times

Advertisements

most of us are against gay marriage. oh AR passed a law where you can carry a gun in a church. Obama rules. fyi there are other forum to talk about elections and whether or not theres a god. which there is. you just havent admitted it to yourself yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
This isn't about hospital visits and you all need to stop banging that drum because it's not true.

Quote:
However, that argument does not hold water. Concerned Women for America polled 24 of the nation's most prominent hospitals in 11 of America's largest cities. In our poll, only one of the 24 hospitals would deny a homosexual the right to visit an ailing partner.

For most of the hospitals, visitation rights weren't even an issue. As one representative from the executive office of Boston University Medical stated: ”Of course, anyone can visit."

That sentiment echoed throughout the responses. A representative from the public affairs office at Cornell Medical Center in New York stated, ”Very close relatives are allowed and the homosexual partner would also be allowed.“

Old 05-26-2009, 01:47 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
To me it's wrong that marriage is even a requirement to visit a person you love in the hospital.
I agree.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree.
It's not a requirement.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Dissident Justice Carlos Moreno said, "Granting same-sex couples all of the rights enjoyed by opposite-sex couples , except the right to call their officially recognized and protected family relationship a marriage, still denies them equal treatment," Moreno said.

I agree with the first half of what Justice Moreno said. CA gays have the same rights and privileges as any other Californian. California is fairly progressive in that way, no one here really cares about your sexual orientation.

But the second part, I disagree as you can't just redefine a word. The concept of marriage has been between husband and wife for millenias. That's why the term domestic partnership was created to define the "protected family relationships" gays engage.

Moreno's statement illustrates what this crusade is about. It's not about rights, as Moreno admitted CA same-sex couples enjoy all the rights of opposite-sex couples. So all this talk and posts about discrimatory policies and/or right violations is bull. Let's be clear, homosexuals are mad because the word marriage is not inclusive enough and it's the gay agenda to redefine it.

The people of California have spoke. Our state Supreme Court backed us up. Time to move on. We can have another referendum in ten years when the next generation comes to age. Until then, let's be civil and get on with our lives.

Court upholds Prop. 8 but lets marriages stand (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/26/BAE017PTAD.DTL - broken link)
Easy for you to say. "Until then, lets be civil and get on with our lives".

You are not the one being discriminated against.

And you said "So all this talk and posts about discrimatory policies and/or right violations is bull."

Sorry. I have to disagree.

For now, I just got the call from my sister needing a ride from school so I will be back.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
This isn't about hospital visits and you all need to stop banging that drum because it's not true.
Just because the hospitals answered some poll by a REALLY Conservative group doesn't mean that some staffer in the hospital wouldn't allow for someone to visit their same-sex spouse in the hospital.
Plus it was not a poll of ALL the hospitals in America, it was only conducted in large cities.
What about hospitals in rural areas or in areas where there is a huge conservative population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Dissident Justice Carlos Moreno said, "Granting same-sex couples all of the rights enjoyed by opposite-sex couples , except the right to call their officially recognized and protected family relationship a marriage, still denies them equal treatment," Moreno said.

I agree with the first half of what Justice Moreno said. CA gays have the same rights and privileges as any other Californian. California is fairly progressive in that way, no one here really cares about your sexual orientation.

But the second part, I disagree as you can't just redefine a word. The concept of marriage has been between husband and wife for millenias. That's why the term domestic partnership was created to define the "protected family relationships" gays engage.

Moreno's statement illustrates what this crusade is about. It's not about rights, as Moreno admitted CA same-sex couples enjoy all the rights of opposite-sex couples. So all this talk and posts about discrimatory policies and/or right violations is bull. Let's be clear, homosexuals are mad because the word marriage is not inclusive enough and it's the gay agenda to redefine it.

The people of California have spoke. Our state Supreme Court backed us up. Time to move on. We can have another referendum in ten years when the next generation comes to age. Until then, let's be civil and get on with our lives.

Court upholds Prop. 8 but lets marriages stand (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/26/BAE017PTAD.DTL - broken link)
Ha, funny choice of words, "Let's be civil."
It would have been civil to let the court's original ruling on marriage equality stand rather than going to the ballot box to take away the rights of the minority.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:53 PM

There are many reasons why people are denied visitation rights when a patient is in the hospital. It doesn't necessarily have to be because the visitor is a homosexual that they are denied access to a patient.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Ha, funny choice of words, "Let's be civil."
It would have been civil to let the court's original ruling on marriage equality stand rather than going to the ballot box to take away the rights of the minority.
I agree with that as well. But, the fact is it did go to the ballot box and the rights were taken away. The court made the right decision using the California Constitution as it reads.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are many reasons why people are denied visitation rights when a patient is in the hospital. It doesn't necessarily have to be because the visitor is a homosexual that they are denied access to a patient.

Who ever suggested denying a person visitation rights because they are a homosexual? If that is the case ANYWHERE (and I think it's more likely that you're simply twisting words), it's pure insanity and needs to be changed.

It has to do with legal relationships, not with the visitor's sexual orientation.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I personally am very glad the California Supreme Court upheld the wishes of the voters, the citizens, of the State of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies