Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,552,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I guess your not accustomed to not getting personal.
Again, another post that makes no sense. Give it up, you couldn't argue your way out of a paper bag. It's been fun though, very entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,602,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ohhhhh. And they just made a ruling the amendment was constitutional, but you don't like that outcome cause it disagrees with your opinion.

I may not agree with the courts decision on upholding prop 8, but legally they had too and I feel it was a good decision on their part. In fact, I'm kind of glad they upheld it.

There is already a campaign started to get it on the ballot for 2010 and I'm confident it will pass with flying colors I've already donated $150 to the Equality California Campaign.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM

36,652 posts, read 67,428,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Again, another post that makes no sense. Give it up, you couldn't argue your way out of a paper bag. It's been fun though, very entertaining!
Its not about your bedroom.

Its about the definition of marriage.

Argue that.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,470,214 times
Quote:
Its not about your bedroom.

Its about the definition of marriage.

Argue that.
The legal definition? Because there was nothing about one man one woman until it was injected into the constitution by religious conservatives.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
The legal definition?
So remove marriage from all civil laws and make all couples enter civil unions and this discussion is over.

Quote:
Because there was nothing about one man one woman until it was injected into the constitution by religious conservatives.
Until recently, such clarification was not necessary.

Now we see it is necessary.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,470,214 times
Quote:
So remove marriage from all civil laws and make all couples enter civil unions and this discussion is over.

Until recently, such clarification was not necessary.

Now we see it is necessary.
It was not a clarification, it was a modification. Homosexuals were getting married and then it was taken away via a change to the constitution by popular vote. A change that worked completely around something that was written previously. This is in fact a change to the legal definition of marriage in the state of CA.

I guess we'll see what happens in 2010, 2012, etc.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
It was not a clarification, it was a modification.
Totally incorrect.

Californians first passed Prop 22 to define marriage-not to change it. Prior to that, there were no gay marriages being performed in California.

Then the courts stepped in and said the people cannot pass such a law unless its a change to the constitution.

And so Prop 8 is a formal amendment to the constitution.

Quote:
Homosexuals were getting married and then it was taken away via a change to the constitution by popular vote.
Once again, your grasp of CA history seems to be wanting.

Gay Couples only started getting marriage licenses when the courts found that Prop 22 was improperly passed.

Quote:
A change that worked completely around something that was written previously.
Aside from the courts ruling on Prop 22, there was no change to anything that was written previously.

Quote:
This is in fact a change to the legal definition of marriage in the state of CA.
I've already addressed this twice.

Quote:
I guess we'll see what happens in 2010, 2012, etc.
I think those who think the pendelum is shifting are in for a surprise.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,775,076 times

YouTube - The Defenders (2009)

Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,304,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Another ridiculous post! heterosexual marriage is only of value to heterosexual people. How childish to call a marriage a "civil union" simply because of the preference of the wording.

In this country we are supposed to be afforded freedom of religion, as well as freedom from religion. Our society got away from a theocracy many years ago, yet religious fanatics want to enforce their religion on other people, particularly when it suits them. If same sex marriage is permitted it does not affect you. What we should be voting for in this country is the right to tax churches since they do lobby government.

You do have freedom. Churches, however, are private - kind of like a club. They have rules. If you don't like the rules, don't join the club. There are ample court rulings in favor of allowing private clubs to discriminate if they so choose. Your "rights" do not allow for forcing your minority beliefs on the majority. You guys amaze me.

Despite what Obama stated, this nation was founded on Christian principles. He was dead wrong. Despite the constitution, we have always accepted marriage as both a legal and religious ceremony. It was, however, a religious ceremony first. If you want a legal ceremony, pick a state where they are legal and go to the courthouse. If you want a white dress and a church ceremony, start your own church. Ours (at least mine) does not want you; we think you are deviant. Get it?

It does affect us, because we don't like you. We don't want you in our club. Quit knocking at the door. Go find your own club.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,552,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
You do have freedom. Churches, however, are private - kind of like a club. They have rules. If you don't like the rules, don't join the club. There are ample court rulings in favor of allowing private clubs to discriminate if they so choose. Your "rights" do not allow for forcing your minority beliefs on the majority. You guys amaze me..
Kinda like how you are forcing your beliefs on others? Fancy that, it's the exact same thing, hypocrisy alludes you apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
It does affect us, because we don't like you. We don't want you in our club. Quit knocking at the door. Go find your own club.
How christian of you, bravo!!!!! Playing out the word of god, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies