Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yep, all the right wing religious nuts were against interracial marriage some 50 years ago too...in fact, some of them still are. However, times change and soon gays in this country will be afforded all the rights the rest of us take for granted.
Yeah, 'cause gays can't sit at the same lunch counter as whites, gays have to drink from sepaprate water fountains then whites, gays have to give up their seats in busses to whites, gays have water houses and German Shepherds unleashed at them during their peaceful marches.

You're making a HUGE mistake equating the civil rights era of the 60's to the issue of sexual preference. It was the black community in California that passed prop 8 in the 1st place. Silly little leftist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,206 times
The courts should never usurp the will of the people.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
It shouldn't have went to the courts at all although feelings were strong on both sides. But I hope that Miss Califonia Prejean whoever gets some body guards just in case. She might get targeted by hate groups for her stance now that it went the way it did.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Since you seem to be inferring that those of us who disagree with gay marriage somehow disagree with mixed marriages, you'd have to include Obama, right? But what about those of us who are in bi-racial marriages and against gay marriages, or homosexuals that are against gay marriages? Not so simple, huh?
There were those that railed against interracial marriage just as there are those that rail against same sex marriage. I did not say EVERYONE, I said "I get the feeling that many here". In my view it's very much the same argument.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:33 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
The Constitution protects the rights we already have; it doesn't grant them to us. God does that.
I don't believe in God.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Especially if the DEMOCRATS () get their way on amnesty and the illegals are actually granted citizenship and permitted to vote.
Wow, wouldn't that be ironic. They want amnesty 'cause they want the vote, but there's no way in heck that the hispanic community will ever vote to pass gay marriage. They'll only strengthen the opposition to it. Better be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
So no problems with rioting over this then, right?
Gun rights are specifically and clearly discussed by the founding fathers of this country and specifically protected by our constitution. Ignoring it, changing its meaning or subverting it is an act of war on the people and will suffer a retaliation by the people in order to protect and defend that right.

Also, why riot? riot is something mobs do. A riot is a chaotic display of violence with no organization or focus and serves no purpose other than to disrupt and destruct. They serve no purpose and accomplish nothing.

I stated shed blood, as in shedding blood in the defense of a right or in the case of an oppressor, institution of a restricting of a right.

A person who truly believes in a cause will fight and kill for that cause if there is no other options left. If that is how they feel, then they are welcome to do so. Though before they do, they had better understand what it is they are fighting to achieve.

As has been stated, civil unions offer all of the rights and privileges a married couple has. So they would essentially be fighting over a definitional change. Seems like a pointless venture to anyone with sense, but I won't deny people to believe in a cause, though I will deny acceptance of a cause when I see it to be illogical and irrational. If people want to shed blood over something as such, I know I personally will shed blood in the defense of the requirement of obedience to such irrational thought. This has nothing to do with homosexuality and everything to do with a social bullying of acceptance to a policy that is pointless and serves no useful purpose.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
As to my personal opinion, as I've already said, I'm ambivalent as to same-sex marriage. I do support civil unions with full rights of marriage for same-sex couples.

With that said, I will defend the rights of anyone to work to either expand or deny rights through the processes allowed and do feel the court made the right decision.

On the gun issue that has been tossed around a bit on this thread, I don't own any guns myself but I will defend the rights of others to purchase/keep theirs.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times

YouTube - "Fidelity": How Prop 8 affects real people who love each other

I'm all for restricting the rights of Mormons, Latinos, and Asians to marry in CA.

Who is with me?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

YouTube - "Fidelity": How Prop 8 affects real people who love each other

I'm all for restricting the rights of Mormons, Latinos, and Asians to marry in CA.

Who is with me?
Blacks voted 70% in favor of Prop 8 but I notice you didnt include them in your post.

Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies