Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM

22 posts, read 32,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Look at his sampling of words that appeared on the last SAT test and honestly tell me how many of these you would expect to hear in the South Bronx or even in the ethnic Irish enclaves of large cities. Or even in rural coal areas of West VA or Kentucky. I am a college graduate and even I do not know some of these words (I have bolded the ones I do not know).

affinity, clairvoyant, emulate, expedite, impetuous, innocuous, mundane, penitent, propensity, regressive, resilient, sedentary, succinct, terse, ubiquitous, vindictive, wanton, zenith ramification, rapacious, recalcitrant, recant, recrimination, redolent, redundant, refutable, relegate, relinquish, remonstrate, reparation, replenish, reprehensible, requisite, resolute, rigorous, rudimentary

And there is really only one type of fire- HOT!

Are people from the Bronx forbidden from studying vocabulary. Do white males typically use words like "recalcitrant"? Anyone can buy a pocket thesaurus for about five bucks. If they don't have the desire to max out on something as easy as vocabulary, doesn't that indicate a lack of drive? The white kids who took the time to study vocabulary deserve credit for their efforts and so do the white firefighters. What you are really saying is that we need to throw out the test because it's too hard for blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,942,122 times
Quote:
¿Puede alguien traducir esta mierda?
Sí, es posible, pero le costará!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,689,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
He is just trying to blame others for him not knowing what words mean. Nothing new about liberals who always blame others for their lack of education.
That's a lie. You do not "learn" vocabulary just by reading a word in a book. It is learned by its usage in the environment in which you exist and these words are not words used in the environments of the working class people. It would be no different than me taking a page of "street slang" or "ebonics" up to Buckhead and making them take a test on those words. That is why the SAT verbal is BIASED culturally. It favours words heard in upper class environments. Here is some better words:

*~ALL~*-(noun) "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

*~BARD~*-(verb) "My brother bard my pickup truck."

*~FAR~*-(noun) "If my brother from Jawjuh doesn't change the all in my pickup truck, that things gonna catch far."

*~JAWJUH~*-(noun) "My brother from Jawjah bard my pickup truck."

*~MUNTS~*-(noun) "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I aint herd from him in munts."

*~IGNERT~*-(adjective) "Them N-C-TWO-A boys sure are ignert!"

*~RANCH~*-(noun)"I think I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts

Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,896,689 times
Quote:
Look at his sampling of words that appeared on the last SAT test and honestly tell me how many of these you would expect to hear in the South Bronx or even in the ethnic Irish enclaves of large cities. Or even in rural coal areas of West VA or Kentucky. I am a college graduate and even I do not know some of these words (I have bolded the ones I do not know).

affinity, clairvoyant, emulate, expedite, impetuous, innocuous, mundane, penitent, propensity, regressive, resilient, sedentary, succinct, terse, ubiquitous, vindictive, wanton, zenith ramification, rapacious, recalcitrant, recant, recrimination, redolent, redundant, refutable, relegate, relinquish, remonstrate, reparation, replenish, reprehensible, requisite, resolute, rigorous, rudimentary

And there is really only one type of fire- HOT!
Haha, but there are some where water isn't good (grease fire, right).
I imagine that there are other 'types' (categories) as well, but that may just be my imagination.

Of those vocabulary words listed, I'd have to guess (my memory isn't that good) that not many were used in my pre-college days either. In reading, yes - but not in common use.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:55 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,000,423 times
Quote:
That's a lie. You do not "learn" vocabulary just by reading a word in a book. It is learned by its usage in the environment in which you exist and these words are not words used in the environments of the working class people. It would be no different than me taking a page of "street slang" or "ebonics" up to Buckhead and making them take a test on those words. That is why the SAT verbal is BIASED culturally. It favours words heard in upper class environments. Here is some better words:

*~ALL~*-(noun) "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

*~FAR~*-(noun) "If my brother from Jawjuh doesn't change the all in my pickup truck, that things gonna catch far."

*~MUNTS~*-(noun) "My brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck, and I aint herd from him in munts."

*~RANCH~*-(noun)"I think I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts
holy cow stay outta my town nobody would understand you. we speak the kings english here

Old 05-26-2009, 06:58 PM

7,891 posts, read 9,094,028 times
Quote:
There are lots of LIES being spread about the so called "affirmative action" case of the connecticuit firefighters and "reverse discrimination. Let us consider the FACTS of the case:
The city gave a written exam to firefighters to be considered for promotion. Several firefighters took the exam and when the results came back the exam showed a large disparity between the white male firefighters and other minority and perhaps women firefighters.
At this point the city decided to toss the exam aside- presumably to design another exam that is less culturally biased and will result in a promotion list that more reflects the ethnic make up of the local area.
The city was perfectly LEGAL to do this. The city- or any business- can legally change policies or change exams at anytime it wishes so long as they are NOT discriminating against any group of people. Sonia Sotomayor was 100% right in her argument.
Throwing out an exam is NOT "reverse discrimination". If the city has said "we are going to add 100 points to the scores of black firefighters" that would be discrimination. If the city had said "we are going to promote black firefighters who failed the exam" that too would be discrimination. But they are perfectly within the law to say "we don't like the results" and toss the exam out and replace it with another exam or even another method to select candidates for promotion (such as senority) so long as the criteria for that selection is not discriminatory towards any race or sex.
The million dollar question is why does the promotion list have to reflect the ethnic make up of the local area? What does one have to do with the other? Either you are qualified to do the job or not.

How can you change a test to make it easier for black firemen to pass while not discriminating against another group? Shouldn't they know what to do, they are already firemen.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 PM

22 posts, read 32,645 times
Quote:
Many of these test are culturally biased. Many of them have little to do with the ability the job requires. What things do a firefighter need to know? How to spray water on the fire. How to give first aid. What the flash points of various materials are. The rest is pretty much OTJ learning I would guess.

Upon what do you base any of your opinions?

Seems like convenient speculation to me.

Wouldn't you agree?

The way you describe the job, any schmo could walk in off the street and call themselves a firefighter.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,601,159 times
If my ass was about to burn in a fire, I want the guy who worked the hardest and learned the most to be the one trying to save my ass. To hell with redesigning tests to be "culturally sensitive". Are we going to start rewriting every kind of test imaginable in this world to suit different segments of the population? I'm sure thats what the liberal nuts would love, and ironically it is segregation all over again.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,601,159 times
Quote:

Or like:

DAT- "man dat muthaf****r be rolling on some fly ass wheels"

Old 05-26-2009, 08:13 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,608,811 times
KevK I think that you want to be sensitive, but your series of posts on this matter are some of the most racist crap I have read on c-d.

Now, I tend to score high on vocabulary tests, but not because my family/social circle tends to speak only in rarely used polysyllbalic words. I know a lot of words because I read a lot, and I read a large variety of books. It has nothing to do with my socio-economic upbringing. I would be willing to bet that people who score low on vocabulary tests do so because they are not readers, and not because of the color of their skin.

As to the firefighter exam -- c'mon. This was a professional exam. How could it be culturally biased? They are not asking questions about what is the proper spoon to eat sherbet with, what does one wear to Buffys luncheon in August or the proper way to dance while clenching ones butt checks tight enough to crack a walnut.
Or any other 'white' stereotypical questions.

As to why the black firefighters didn't score as high as the white firefighters -- I really have no idea. Has anyone bothered to look into it as opposed to making assumptions? Maybe the black firefighters who took the exam haven't been on the job as long as the higher scoring white firefighters. Who knows? But to say a test like this could be racially biased is like saying 'blacks just aren't as smart as whites', and I find that horrible and untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies