Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Oh, that's easy to point out. All of the following people qualify as second class citizens:

Thieves, killers, sodomites, prostitutes, adulterers, those who worship other gods, those who preach against the word of God....that about sums it up.

It's people that willingly committ sins against the Bible and do not seek forgiveness. Now I would assume you would agree that we should be oppressive towards these groups (or most of them), isn't that right? We want them locked up for committing the more serious sins of thievery and murder but we've decided as a society that we aren't going to lock someone up for being gay (I'm not saying we should). We have also determined that adulterers shouldn't be prosecuted and they are allowed to marry again BUT this in not true in the eyes of the Church (Catholic). That's why when you take a marriage vow it says 'till death do us part'.

Societal law is based on biblical law and that's the foundation this country has been built on. If you want to live in a non-biblical society then please feel free to move out of this country and leave it for the God loving people.
I'm against any behaviour that does harm to another. When it gets into emotional harm it is harder to quantify, thus harder to come up with a law to prosecute. For instance - if i steal someone's car or kill someone, i think it is pretty easy for society to prosecute because it is a very direct and very tangible impact. Adultery, is not so easy and I don't think it should be illegal in the eyes of the law, nor do i think homosexuality should be either. This is where religion ALWAYS crosses the line, it wants society to come up with laws to deal with subjective human behaviours - something that is relative and as such should be frowned upon. So, I would never deny someone the right to ascribe to a religious belief, but i would never deny a homosexual to marry either. You can actually support gay marriage from a societal p.o.v but maintain your religious p.o.v that it is a sin and they are not in conflict because you would realize that if we create laws in a society based on religious laws - especially in the case of diversity within the U.S for instance, you are advocating a massive change to your status quo and the potential incarceration or deportation of half your population or more. Are you ready to do that? Are you ready to change your life in a fundamental way ie. losing a job or your house because of the economic destruction of your religious ways.

BTW Society is NOT based on biblical law. Don't be ethnocentric or nationalistic with your views!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If there is a god, you will spend eternity in hell for judging others and acting like a bigot. Have you thought about that? Judge not lest ye be judged.
That would be true if I were judging anyone. My goal is to point out to everyone what the true word of God is. By helping to spread His word I am in fact doing God's work. It doesn't matter what I think of anyone but what God thinks of you will.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
That would be true if I were judging anyone. My goal is to point out to everyone what the true word of God is. By helping to spread His word I am in fact doing God's work. It doesn't matter what I think of anyone but what God thinks of you will.
We do not live in a theocracy. But you are free to move to one, if you'd like.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
With my husband four and a half years married for one year.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
With my husband four and a half years married for one year.
He's so Lucky

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
He's so Lucky
He knows, and tells me every day.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
He knows, and tells me every day.
So does my Boyfriend.. We have something in common

Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM
pba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I'm against any behaviour that does harm to another. When it gets into emotional harm it is harder to quantify, thus harder to come up with a law to prosecute. For instance - if i steal someone's car or kill someone, i think it is pretty easy for society to prosecute because it is a very direct and very tangible impact. Adultery, is not so easy and I don't think it should be illegal in the eyes of the law, nor do i think homosexuality should be either. This is where religion ALWAYS crosses the line, it wants society to come up with laws to deal with subjective human behaviours - something that is relative and as such should be frowned upon. So, I would never deny someone the right to ascribe to a religious belief, but i would never deny a homosexual to marry either. You can actually support gay marriage from a societal p.o.v but maintain your religious p.o.v that it is a sin and they are not in conflict because you would realize that if we create laws in a society based on religious laws - especially in the case of diversity within the U.S for instance, you are advocating a massive change to your status quo and the potential incarceration or deportation of half your population or more. Are you ready to do that? Are you ready to change your life in a fundamental way ie. losing a job or your house because of the economic destruction of your religious ways.

BTW Society is NOT based on biblical law. Don't be ethnocentric or nationalistic with your views!
Wrong, again. You're confusing God and a belief in the Bible with religeon. If you choose to follow a religeon that supports gay marriage then this religeon is NOT following the word of God and is therefore irrelevent.

Yes, if the god-less people want to move out of this country then I would welcome it. It's closer to 15 to 20 percent though and not the 50% that you claim.

Our laws are not based on the Bible? Please, don't speak until you know what you're talking about.

In God We Trust....on all our money
One nation, under God.....Pledge of Allegiance
So help me God....holding your hand on a bible in court
Declaration of Independence - 'God' in the 1st paragraph and 'Creator' in the second.
All Presidents get sworn on by holding their hand on a Bible
Why do we have a 5 day work week? Work 5 days, rest 1 and go to Church on Sunday

But, I guess you're right, our laws aren't based on the Bible or God and or society in general isn't driven by God and the Bible either. Woops, your ignorance is showing.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 PM
pba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
We do not live in a theocracy. But you are free to move to one, if you'd like.
Not a Theocracy? A Theocracy is when the Church dictactes the law. Well, technically, Churches in this county do not dictate the law but since the overwhelming majority of voters believe in God and vote accordingly we do, in a way, have a theocracy (thankfully).

President Obama is NOT a supporter of gay marriage and neither was any President before him. Any potential candidate for President won't dare touch the subject because they know they won't get elected. Sounds like a semi-theocracy to me.

Isn't it the Christian voters who have decided in California at least that gay marriage is wrong? Didn't the CA Supreme Court uphold the voters right to discriminate against gays and not let them marry? Yes to both.

Oh, back on subject.....I love my wife and she loves me. She tells me how sweet I am every day and I leave a flower on her pillow every night. In the morning the birds chirp a lovely song and we hold hands while counting our blessings over each day that we've been married over the last 16 years. 16 wonderful, glorious, heterosexual years. Ah, what a life we've built together.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
In God We Trust....on all our money
One nation, under God.....Pledge of Allegiance
So help me God....holding your hand on a bible in court
Declaration of Independence - 'God' in the 1st paragraph and 'Creator' in the second.
All Presidents get sworn on by holding their hand on a Bible
Why do we have a 5 day work week? Work 5 days, rest 1 and go to Church on Sunday

It's mentioning God - not a Christian, Buddhist or Islamic god - just god. As for holding the hand on the bible - there is nothing else out there I guess - they should get a new book - i wonder what will happen the day a Buddhist person born in America becomes President, which book will he or she have to swear over

look you are heavily into wanting to continue down a path of biblical interpretation of the bible directly transferred to your laws. I still think you are being selective and if you did a literal transfer - your laws would punish 100 percent of the population.

We won't come to a meeting of the minds here. At the end of the day you won't support gay marriage and you want your selective interpretation of the bible to write your laws - i get that. Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies