Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times

Advertisements

I guess if you are a white male in some people's eyes, anyone is allowed to say whatever they want about you based on past history. I'm tired of that nonsense. I HAVE never discriminated against anyone, my parents NEVER discriminated against anyone. I was taught to treat people based on merit and how they treated me. If a white candidate for the Supreme Court made racially divisive statements it would be screamed out from the highest mount....I actually believe Sotamayor is not as bad a nominee as the annoited one could have nominated but it is what it is...she made some comments that could be considered racially divisive and if it would disqualify a white male it should also disqualify her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
I guess if you are a white male in some people's eyes, anyone is allowed to say whatever they want about you based on past history. I'm tired of that nonsense. I HAVE never discriminated against anyone, my parents NEVER discriminated against anyone. I was taught to treat people based on merit and how they treated me. If a white candidate for the Supreme Court made racially divisive statements it would be screamed out from the highest mount....I actually believe Sotamayor is not as bad a nominee as the annoited one could have nominated but it is what it is...she made some comments that could be considered racially divisive and if it would disqualify a white male it should also disqualify her.
This was posted in another thread. It's funny, nary a peep was said when Alito said something similar:

"And that's why I went into that in my opening statement. Because when a case comes before me involving, let's say, someone who is an immigrant -- and we get an awful lot of immigration cases and naturalization cases -- I can't help but think of my own ancestors, because it wasn't that long ago when they were in that position...

When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/5...dicial-outlook

Old 06-02-2009, 11:39 PM

42 posts, read 251,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Wow. Reading and listening to all the whining, paranoia, victimhood claims, etc. one would think that white males were the most under-represented, long-suffering, put upon, victimized, creatues in the world. Who knew that just the realization that all the plums on the tree no longer fall automatically into their hands would send them into such over the top panic?
That's right, LML. EVERY white male has had it easy and has never suffered and should therefore shut up and never complain.

Did you know that most poor people in the U.S. are white?. According to the last census there are about 15.3 million poor whites in America. The black population has about 8.1 million below the poverty line. With the total number of Americans below the poverty line at around 33 million this means that nearly half of the poor people in America are WHITE!! Yet, there are far less programs in existence designed to deal with white poverty than there are for minority poverty. They even have programs to deal with immigrant poverty. Personally, I think there should just be programs designed to eliminate ALL POVERTY rather than just focusing on race-based poverty programs. SOURCE: U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey, March 2002, Racial Statistics, Population Branch (Internet Release Date: April 25, 2003).

Did you also know that the white male societies were the first to ban slavery, provide equal treatment to women and minorities and set up international standards for promoting civil rights, justice, fairness, health care, education and more?

The vast majority of whites did not own slaves; in fact, they were indentured servants who did not even have the right in colonial America to vote because they did not own any property.

Yes, whites engaged in racist acts and persecution but they certainly didn't invent racism, oppression and persecution. Slavery and oppression existed on every continent and in practically every culture long before the Europeans/whites set up their empires. The vast majority of slaves brought to white societies were already slaves in their native Africa and in many cases faced death if they couldn't be sold as slaves. Whites did not go to Africa and capture black slaves - they were turned over by African slave owners. Many don't realize that some of the largest international slave traders were and in many cases still are, black Africans. Perhaps Africa should be forced to pay reparations to the descendants of slaves in the Western hemisphere but I doubt that will happen - after all, it is easier and politically correct to demand reparations from "guilty whites."

From the way whites are portrayed in the media and in many history books, you would think that the world was a peaceful, loving and compassionate place until the "white devils" came along and introduced racism, slavery and conquest and this is so far from the truth and reality. Holocausts and oppression have existed in every part of the world (yes, even Native Americans/American Indians engaged in oppressive acts) since the beginning of time and they continue to this day, mostly in non-white nations and in non-white immigrant communities in white nations.

Examples are:

Members of a Zambian boys choir who were forced to sing to earn their traffickers a profit and withheld from obtaining an education they were promised;

Hearing-impaired Mexicans (men, women and children) who were forced to peddle items on the streets of New York to earn money for their traffickers;

South Asian women forced to work in a textile factory without pay and with constant physical and sexual violence against them;

Latino men forced to work on farms without pay, long hours, under armed guard, and constant violence or threat of violence against them.

These groups were enslaved by their own racial/ethnic groups and saved mostly by international civil rights groups, which are composed mostly but not exclusively of whites.

Many experts have stated that there are more slaves in the world today than there were in the 1830s - the majority in West and Central Africa with many in South Asia and Latin America. There are human rights groups (mostly from white nations) in these areas trying to free them.

Now, do the vast majority of people care about today's slavery? No. Why not? Because it involves non-whites enslaving non-whites. Today, people are obsessed with requiring whites to pay for the injustices they committed in previous generations but no one cares about the continuing injustices that non-whites are committing against the current and future generations.

For some illogical reason, it is acceptable when whites oppress whites and non-whites oppress non-whites and perhaps even when non-whites oppress whites. But when whites oppress non-whites, well, that is unacceptable.

And it's not just men who oppress others - the number of women who are engaged in the slave trade and oppression has been increasing not that it didn't exist in the past. From Queen Ravanalona I ("The Cruel") of Madagascar to Empress Catherine II of Russia, there have been many women in power who have crushed the lives of many innocent victims.

But hey, let's just focus on demonizing white men and denying them the right to complain about anything for the rest of eternity - after all, they are deserve to be denied equality even though they were the first to provide equality to others.

Having said that, let's turn to the topic of this discussion thread.

When Don Imus, a white man, referred to a group of female basketball players as "nasty hos" he lost his job even though the term has been used widely in hip hop culture. Ironically, one of the women on that team has a criminal record for imprisoning her girlfriend but she never lost her place on the team. Don Imus lost his job for being racist even though he has been making rude comments about practically every ethnic, religious and racial group for over 30 years. Now he is coming back and some have claimed that he should not be allowed to come back because he is "dangerous."

Now here comes a female Hispanic Supreme Court Justice nominee who has made questionable comments about how she may be better than white men at making decisions in certain cases and who may have ruled unfairly against a group of white and one Hispanic firefighters. Well, let's just let her in without any opposition - after all, she couldn't be more dangerous than Don Imus.

This is what Judge Sotamayor said:

"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." People have said that it is quoted out of context and that is racist to question her.

Now imagine a white man saying:

"I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a Latina female who hasn't lived that life." Well, this white man would be pulled out of the Supreme Court Justice nomination regardless of in what context it was stated.

Plus, she threw out a test that a group of white firefighters and one Hispanic firefighter passed simply because not enough minority firefighters passed it thereby denying those that did pass it the right to promotions. The city was not obligated to promote people based on this test. Then why have the test at all? If minority firefighters had passed the test and few white firefighters passed it, would the test be thrown out? Even if you answer "probably not" or "don't know," this implies bias because the correct answer should be a definite "yes." For any judge to be credible, we have to be absolutely confident that a judge would reach the same conclusion given the same legal principles, circumstances and facts regardless of what ethnic, racial, religious or gender group it is.

If Don Imus, who is just a crude media entertainer, can lose his job for calling a group of female basketball players "hos" then why should we allow statements and a decision made by a Judge to go unchallenged? This is a LIFETIME APPOINTMENT to the HIGHEST COURT IN THE NATION, which means that her decisions will affect ALL AMERICANS for CENTURIES. Don't you think that people should have the right to complain about Judge Sotamayor the way so many complained about Don Imus, who has no such legal power over all Americans, without being called racist or paranoid?

Now those of you who may be Hispanic, female or members of other minority groups may think that you will benefit from he appointment of a Hispanic female, even if she may be biased against white men. Guess again. People who are biased against one group usually have biases against others too. Judge Sotamayor is of Puerto Rican descent but she may have biases against other Hispanics, such as Mexicans, Ecuadorians, Brazilians, etc. She may be biased against Asians. She may be biased against anyone who is pro-life.

History proves this. The Ku Klux Klan didn't just hate blacks. They hated Catholics, Jews, immigrants, Italians, Greeks, Poles, Russians and more. Hitler and the Nazis didn't just hate Jews. They hated Communists, Gypsies, anti-Nazi sympathizers, the mentally ill, gays, Slavs and more.

Now, I am in no way saying that Judge Sotamayor is racist and I am not comparing her to those groups I just mentioned. What I am trying to say is that people should realize that if a person has bias towards one group, they usually have biases towards other groups as well.

To be honest, I don't really have any major objections against Judge Sotamayor becoming the next U.S. Supreme Court Justice - I just have some questions as many do regarding her judicial philosophy. What bothers me is the fact that many people just want to steamroll her in without any opposition just because she is the first Latina woman to be nominated and because she came from a background of hardship. That is not as important as the character, moral content, intellect and fairness of the person. If Judge Sotamayor can prove that she is not biased against anyone then she deserves to become the next Justice.

Just because someone comes from a poor background does not necessarily mean that they have more empathy and compassion than someone who comes from an affluent background. Not all members of a particular group think alike. Let's all remember that.

Last edited by Verdor; 06-03-2009 at 12:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies