Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

As a fairly leftist black man, when Thomas was first nominated to the Supreme Court, I was skeptical. I believed he was appointed simply because he was a conservative, and that Thomas had become a conservative in the age of Reagan/Bush I simply because he saw opportunity. When Thomas was being confirmed, I cringed at some of the revelations (Anita Hill, etc.) that came out in his hearing. When he was sworn in, and during his early years as a Justice, I followed and read his opinions, and wondered why he believed and ruled the way he did. So I made it my business to read as many books, biographies and articles on Thomas' background as I could. The research revealed a deeper side to Thomas. I understood him more after reading about him. I still do not agree with him as a jurist, and have some beefs with the manner in which he got where he is. I also believe he is an ideologue who has allowed his position and image to be used by the rabid, racist right wing.

But all in all, despite what I see as flaws in Clarence Thomas, I respect the man immensely. His story is one we can all learn from. Bottom line is, he enjoys a position of power in American society, and a personal lifestyle, that is the envy of many. And I have no choice but to admire the way he achieved it - even if I do not agree with most of the things he has said or done. This is all a game, and he has mastered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:06 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Because the Democratic Party and the news media told them to hate him. Any black person that does not wallow in misery, whine about being owed something by government, and is not angry at the white man, is considered a race traitor, and must be vilified. This is the type of person the democratic party wants all minorities to emulate.
Yet another utterance that demonstrates a complete ignorance of Black Americans; who we are; our experiences; our sociology; our history.

So I'll ask you the same question that I've asked others who can't seem to help but generalizing Blacks: On what do you base your knowledge of Black Americans to the extent that you can make such a statement?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
As a fairly leftist black man, when Thomas was first nominated to the Supreme Court, I was skeptical. I believed he was appointed simply because he was a conservative, and that Thomas had become a conservative in the age of Reagan/Bush I simply because he saw opportunity. When Thomas was being confirmed, I cringed at some of the revelations (Anita Hill, etc.) that came out in his hearing. When he was sworn in, and during his early years as a Justice, I followed and read his opinions, and wondered why he believed and ruled the way he did. So I made it my business to read as many books, biographies and articles on Thomas' background as I could. The research revealed a deeper side to Thomas. I understood him more after reading about him. I still do not agree with him as a jurist, and have some beefs with the manner in which he got where he is. I also believe he is an ideologue who has allowed his position and image to be used by the rabid, racist right wing.

But all in all, despite what I see as flaws in Clarence Thomas, I respect the man immensely. His story is one we can all learn from. Bottom line is, he enjoys a position of power in American society, and a personal lifestyle, that is the envy of many. And I have no choice but to admire the way he achieved it - even if I do not agree with most of the things he has said or done. This is all a game, and he has mastered it.
The last sentence is so, so true. Thomas, for all of his inadequacy, incompetence, and inexperience did what anyone in that position should do: he realized that he was out of his league; he kept his head down; and, until relatively recently, kept his mouth shut.

Again, this guy wasn't an affirmative action hire. Real affirmative action requires competence and qualifications. Thomas was and is merely a token. And not only is he merely a token, he's the worst kind of token: a self-loathing one.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,000 times
If you truly hated racism and bigotry, you wouldn't make this incredibly paternalistic comment about blacks voters. Black people know exactly what is in our best interests, we know who supports us and and we definitely know who does not.

Additionally, I find it very telling that conservatives have so much adoration and respect for certain types of black people, specifically those who will demean other blacks, ignore the impact of race/racism and generally distance themselves from the black community. So it is crystal clear why CT so highly regarded by you and not by us.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Because the Democratic Party and the news media told them to hate him. Any black person that does not wallow in misery, whine about being owed something by government, and is not angry at the white man, is considered a race traitor, and must be vilified. This is the type of person the democratic party wants all minorities to emulate.

The democrats, and the liberal media did not gush all over the "compelling life story" of Clarence Thomas or Miguel Angel Estrada, like they are doing today with Sotomayor. Because they were the hated conservatives, and refuse to wear the cloak of minority status that the libs set out for them.

I hate racism and bigotry, and the modern day Democrat wallows in it. Sotomayor is a perfect example of this. Its like she is some kind of a performing circus bear, for doing well in life and academically, "Oh look..... look how she walks up on her hind legs. How cute, she's like a real person."

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Yet another utterance that demonstrates a complete ignorance of Black Americans; who we are; our experiences; our sociology; our history.

So I'll ask you the same question that I've asked others who can't seem to help but generalizing Blacks: On what do you base your knowledge of Black Americans to the extent that you can make such a statement?
I'm saying, this is the caricature of a black man that the liberals want to paint. How else can they maintain power over minorities if they refuse to be seen this way? Some blacks do appear to think like this, I've seen them on TV, calling conservative blacks all kinds of horrid names, simply because they are conservatives, but implying that it is all about them some how betraying their race.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
The last sentence is so, so true. Thomas, for all of his inadequacy, incompetence, and inexperience did what anyone in that position should do: he realized that he was out of his league; he kept his head down; and, until relatively recently, kept his mouth shut.

Again, this guy wasn't an affirmative action hire. Real affirmative action requires competence and qualifications. Thomas was and is merely a token. And not only is he merely a token, he's the worst kind of token: a self-loathing one.
He is self-loathing. But he is also conniving, calculating and cunning, and while those are not necessarily good qualities, they have made him very effective. My opinion of CT was solidified a few years ago after reading the letters to the editor of Emerge magazine, which had run an exhaustive profile and analysis of Thomas. A reader wrote in and said that while Thomas had been perceived as kowtowing to The Man, that perception was wrong. Thomas was not bowing down to The Man; he IS The Man. And that is true.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:

So, Thomas was only a token? You have just illustrated one reason to get rid of affirmative action, because it gives people a reason to diminish the reasons behind a person's success.

Take the firefighters in New Haven, they passed a real test, that "requires competence and qualifications" and were denied promotion, because of people who want affirmative action.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Isn't the reason blacks dislike him is that he ditched that black Anita for a strawberry blonde trophy wife?

Wasn't that the real anger of Anita?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
I'm by no means acting holy at all.Who could be for abortion?Well that would be pretty much every democrat except a few blue dogs.The only ones talking for same sex marriage are dems,name one republican.Not for one second are dems more pro-family.And taking god out of schools is most assurdly a liberal agenda.Now I'm just saying any black I went to school with,worked with or ever knew don't agree with the liberal agenda yet they vote for it.Why?If you vote democrat you vote for these things because it is their leaders polocies
Where, oh, where to begin?
I'll just pick one fun fact:
Steve Schmidt - one of John McCain's campaign advisors,
News: McCain adviser calls on GOP to back gay marriage - Politics (http://www.politics.com/news/9595/ - broken link)

As for Mr. Thomas, he was nominated for the simple reason that he is black. I just love all of the people who claim that President Obama is only where he is because of AA, yet somehow refuse to project the same 'deficiency' on Clarence Thomas. Age alone would make Thomas much more of a beneficiary of AA than the president. And the fact that he refuses to accept the value of that process and chooses to blame it for his own deficiencies (i.e. not being able to get a job after graduation from Yale) just as he blamed Anita Hill for his inability to control himself denotes, at least to me anyway, someone of extremely shallow character who should not be in any position to make decisions that impact millions of Americans.

With regard to his service on the Supreme Court, I cannot think of a single memorable decision that he has produced, though I suppose that could just be a result of the MSM covering up his brilliance

Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
Some of my best friends are black.......you know, that guy at work....what's his name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies