Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you make a choice to be straight?
Yes 14 15.22%
No 16 17.39%
I just was 60 65.22%
Don't know yet 2 2.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Male/female unions are the natural order of things and does not have to choose, whereas going against the natural order is abnormal and is a choice.
So you refuse to answer the question. No surprise. The more anti gay a person is, the more they say it is a choice, yet they do not claim to have made a choice to be straight. If you are not gay or lesbian, how do you then know if a gay person made the choice? Why as a straight person do you think that you know about more gays than gays do themselves? I have never met a gay man or lesbian that said they chose to be gay, but I do know several straight, or ex straight, people that switched teams. Though that would technically make them Bi even though they bat for the other team now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:24 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have asked this every time I hear the statement that gays made the choice to be gay. When did you choose to be straight?
Two questions:

1) In ancient greece there was noticeably more gay and bisexual activity. Does that mean there were somehow a higher quantity more genetically gay people in ancient societies?

2) If gay people don't pass on their genes (as this requires a male and a female), how do they replicate their genetic predisposition towards "gayness"?

If your presumption is that people are irreversably and uncontrollably determined by their genes, does that mean that in the future we will be able to eradicate the "gayness gene" with genetic engineering and therefore there would be no more gays?

Sounds like a shoddy attempt at genetic determinism. I choose free will (and common sense) over determinism.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:25 AM
AUM

34 posts, read 18,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
So you refuse to answer the question. No surprise. The more anti gay a person is, the more they say it is a choice, yet they do not claim to have made a choice to be straight. If you are not gay or lesbian, how do you then know if a gay person made the choice? Why as a straight person do you think that you know about more gays than gays do themselves? I have never met a gay man or lesbian that said they chose to be gay, but I do know several straight, or ex straight, people that switched teams. Though that would technically make them Bi even though they bat for the other team now.
You have more patience than I. Anyone who says that people choose their sexual orientation is sorely lacking in their knowledge about human sexuality. I think of them as being on the fringe - much more so than anyone with same-sex attractions.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 AM
AUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Two questions:

1) In ancient greece there were noticibly more gays and bisexuals does that mean there were somehow more genetically gay people in ancient societies?

2) If gay people don't pass on their genes, how do they replicate their genetic predisposition towards "gayness"?

If your presumption is that people are irreversably and uncontrollably determined by their genes, does that mean that in the future we will be able to eradicate the "gayness gene" with genetic engineering and therefore there would be no more gays?
Why do you assume that sexual orientation is solely genetic? There's increasing evidence that it's determined by hormonal levels in a mother's womb. It may also be a combination of hormonal levels and a genetic predisposition.

Even if it is genetic, there are always plenty of people with same-sex attractions who are also attracted to the opposite sex and go on to have children. Obviously, gays aren't required in order for homosexuality to continue to flourish. Heterosexuals are doing a great job of producing them all on their own.

Last edited by AUM; 05-28-2009 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUM View Post
Why do you assume that sexual orientation is solely genetic? There's increasing evidence that it's determined by hormonal levels in a mother's womb. It may also be a combination of hormonal levels and a genetic predisposition.
Doesn't sound like an intelligent statement. Hormones are an expression of genes. All bodily functions are determined by genes. Either your actions are determined by your genes or you are determined by your free will. Which brings me back to my two questions you failed to answer.

Quote:
Even if it is genetic, there are always plenty of people with same-sex attractions who are also attracted to the opposite sex, and go on to have children. Obviously, gays aren't required in order for homosexuality to continue to flourish. Heterosexuals are doing a great job of producing them all on their own
You failed to answer the question. Most gays in fact, do not pro-create with heterosexuals. Thats why they are gay. Unless they are bi-sexual then the definition changes.

Your right gay's are'nt required for homosexuality to flourish. Even though they can't replicate their genes they still seem to be present within most societies. Which brings us to the enigma of my two questions you've failed to answer.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 AM
AUM

BayDude, I can't answer your questions because I believe they're based on fallacies.

What determines sexual orientation is very complicated. No one has the exact answers, but I trust the doctors and scientists who research these things for a living, and according to most sources, there's increasing evidence that hormonal levels play a big role in determining sexual orientation.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 AM

451 posts, read 1,228,172 times
I'm stight, but I don't think I made a choice. I"m attracted to nice hips and thighs. I don't think you have a choice in your attractions to looks, smells and site. I don't think a person makes a choice, I don't ever remember being at that fork in the road. I'm sure most of the homophobes don't either.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I can't answer your questions because I believe they're based on fallacies.
Ok answer this question, if possible: How are those questions I just posed based upon fallacies and upon what fallacies are they based? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUM View Post
BayDude,

What determines sexual orientation is very complicated. No one has the exact answers, but I trust the doctors and scientists who research these things for a living, and according to most sources, there's increasing evidence that hormonal levels play a big role in determining sexual orientation.

Let me translate that for you
: I can't answer the questions and hence tap-dancing around it and othewise trying to throw murk and fog into the actual issue.

There we go.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:05 AM
AUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Ok answer this question, if possible: How are those questions I just posed based upon fallacies and upon what fallacies are they based? Thanks.

Let me translate that for you
: I can't answer the questions and hence tap-dancing around it and othewise trying to throw murk and fog into the actual issue.

There we go.
I answered the questions as best I could. I'm sorry if you didn't understand me.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I blame the classic, debbie does dallas for making me a straight man, and for turning me on to the illest funk of all time.

YouTube - Debbie Does Dallas _ The Shower Scene
Goodness, when Debbie hit the big screen, I was four year out of the military and at least 10 years past puberty... yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies