Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm all for that. Civil unions for everyone. Get "married" in a church.

Agreed. If for some odd reason this was passed (civil unions for all) what would people do if they came upon a gay couple who said they were happily married for 5 years? Would people stand up and say 'NO, YOU AREN'T MARRIED, YOU'RE CIVIL UNIONED!!!'. Same with an Atheist couple? People will still say they're married, so really it doesn't matter. It's just a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed. If for some odd reason this was passed (civil unions for all) what would people do if they came upon a gay couple who said they were happily married for 5 years? Would people stand up and say 'NO, YOU AREN'T MARRIED, YOU'RE CIVIL UNIONED!!!'. Same with an Atheist couple? People will still say they're married, so really it doesn't matter. It's just a word.
Yeah! Sheesh.....we can't even seem to stop "dialing' a phone....how we gonna get used to not being 'married'?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Instead California sent a message to the world, loud and clear, that we will not give up our morals and we will fight tooth and nail to defend our families, children and posterity against that which we believe to be morally incorrect.
uhh..no. Not even close.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:15 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Vengeance? What is this, "Red Dawn"? LOL, ahhh, you conservatives, you're just so, I don't know, ridiculous. Let's put it this way: you are putting up a brick wall of stubborness in allowing gays to get married. Who sounds vengeful in this situation? Hmmm......yep yep, me thinks its you conservatives.
Im just saying. I live in California and have seen first hand the sort of vitriol and divisiveness coming from the campaign to legalize same sex marriage.

Especially after they lost. California is not in their back pocket like they thought and that realization pissed them off.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
uhh..no. Not even close.
I realize that being reminded that California is a state with millions of morally upright people is irritating to those who would rather we bowed down to lowered values but such was not the case on Novembe 4, 2008.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
It appears that with the recent ruling in CA gay marriage is in the news, again. I thoroughly enjoy how the media plays this issue up time and time again while ignoring any possible solutions and/or other problems.

How about this proposal...no one gets married unless it's by a church. In the eyes of the state, everyone gets a "partnership" or whatever they'd like to call it for tax purposes.
How about Civil Unions? Oh wait, they already have that.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post

I think they should let the religious groups hold onto the word "marriage" if it makes them feel better. In the end it is only a word.
Actually, it is intelligent to hold on to a meaning of a word for communication breakdown occurs when we begin to ignore formal definitions in formal settings. That dope and off the hook G?

Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I realize that being reminded that California is a state with millions of morally upright people is irritating to those who would rather we bowed down to lowered values but such was not the case on Novembe 4, 2008.

Morals and values have noting to do with this.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Morals and values have noting to do with this.
Actually it has to do with Marriage and its definition. In the minds of most Californians, Marriage finds its roots in faith.

So if we can separate Marriage from government, morals and values will effectively have nothing to do with civil unions.

But so long as Marriage itself is up for debate, then you are seriously mistaken to say that morals and values have nothing to do with it.

They have everything to do with it.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im just saying. I live in California and have seen first hand the sort of vitriol and divisiveness coming from the campaign to legalize same sex marriage.

Especially after they lost. California is not in their back pocket like they thought and that realization pissed them off.

I live in California as well, and I've seen the same vitrol and devisiveness coming from the campaign for 'protecting marriage'.

I saw churches taking 'donations' to paint 'yes on 8' on peoples cars. The yes on 8 campaign (with donations from out of state churches, tax free of course) was able to broadcast commercials that blatantly lied and twisted the truth to further their agenda. I didn't see one lie from the No on 8 Crowd.

It was a dirty campaign and it's unfortunate that the yes on 8 crowd couldn't play fair, but that just goes to show you... "Good people will do good things, and bad people will do bad things. But for good people to do bad things -- that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies