Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:36 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,337,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, they have substandard wages, no benefits and dangerous working conditions only because illegals will work for those substandard wages, no benefits and in dangerous working conditions.
in area's that have had few or no illegals or legal aliens?

From what I've heard, many of these companies, had to go out and get (import) people to work the jobs in the past. [i could be wrong]
Since the locals didn't want the traditionally low paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM

974 posts, read 1,584,375 times
That is the problem Planine. They were not traditionally low paying until big business stepped in and bought up the little guys. Then outsourced for illegals so they could keep their bottom line as low as possible and their profit margin as high as possible.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
That is the problem Planine. They were not traditionally low paying until big business stepped in and bought up the little guys. Then outsourced for illegals so they could keep their bottom line as low as possible and their profit margin as high as possible.

Now, that sounds like the real problem.......

Old 05-28-2009, 02:09 PM

519 posts, read 687,629 times
The reduction in illegal border crossings since the beginning of the recession should be a stark reminder that there is no loyalty to America with these folks, only $$$$ and oppurtunism. If they really wanted to be American's, they'd be coming in droves recession or not. If you want to come to my country, at least be willing to show that you're willing to be patriot. Otherwise, I have no use for you. At all.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,619,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

From what I've heard, many of these companies, had to go out and get (import) people to work the jobs in the past. [i could be wrong]
No, no and no. Locals would be willing to work, but for union wages. These towns and surrounding areas are not ghost towns. My bil has worked in packing houses the entirety of his adult life. He was able to support a family of six on his wages. Is the work for everyone? No. But there are legal workers who would be happy to support their families by doing the work.
Granted, many of the youth are more interested in getting away - going to college, living in a city. But not all, and certainly not enough do to excuse the importing of illegals.

It boils down to greed and unethical business practices and nothing more.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM

974 posts, read 1,584,375 times
Well said Camping. If I could rep you again I would. Unfortunately I have to spread the love. If we busted big businesses arses, we would see a drastic drop in illegal immigration. No work/no illegals guaranteed.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,418,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, Americans WILL take those jobs if they paid a fair wage. With Illegals, employers can pay whatever they want because the illegals can't say a thing about it as they'll just be deported. Substandard work places, substandard pay, no benefits etc etc... yes, most Americans will not work in those conditions. Employers take advantage of that labor force to fill their bottom line.

I'd be willing to pay a higher price for food/cleaning/motels/objects etc. if the workers could make a decent wage.
Even dangerous working conditions in some instances.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
But many of these place have and always will be substandard pay, no benifits, dangerous working conditions, etc. Some will take the jobs (but they are not going to move 1500 miles or drive 50 each way to get to a 7 dollar a hour job).
Ah no,... but in the rural areas that they are in they do employ those in that area which otherwise they might not have employment.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
No, they have substandard wages, no benefits and dangerous working conditions only because illegals will work for those substandard wages, no benefits and in dangerous working conditions.

Are you really under the impression that no US citizens live by a packing house? Or wouldn't want to move to a small town in the middle of nowhere if they had a job with good pay, benefits and were assured of a safe working environment?
Maybe this comes as a shock to you, but many of the people in this part of the country either grew up on a farm, had relatives who worked a farm and/or hunts. Blood and guts are not scary or gross to them.
They can handle it. What they cannot handle is working for crap wages no benefits and in a dangerously ill maintained slaughter house.
That is it - that is the difference between illegals and citizens and legal immigrants. In fact, many Sudanese who have immigrated here legally work in unionized packing houses.
Now, they wouldn't work in the Kosher packing house that was recently busted for hiring only illegals but that would be because the Kosher plant was only paying the illegals $5 an hour with no benefits, no adherence to OSHA safety regulations plus there was an operating meth lab on the premises!
What plant would you work for, Plannine? And what plant do you suppose made more money?
That is what it boils down to -- money for business owners who do not care that they are screwing over legal workers and the communities surrounding these plants.

Much like the hell some businesses got in the 70's and 80's for illegally dumping toxic material into rivers and streams, now we have businesses saving a buck by hiring illegals to the detriment of the community.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Well I can assure you have heard wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies