Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:46 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,629 times

Advertisements

Could you just imagine if a white judge said "A white man can make a better decision then a latino women"

OOOOh the joke of all this....funny thing is that most minorities are more racist then whites haaaaa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,597,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Experience is less important than ones view on the Constitution, and on interpreting law. This woman has been overturned in 60% of her rulings when they have reached the Supreme Court, because of improper interpretation of law, or not applying the law. Lack of knowledge, in other words. One can have vast experience, and still not be capable of rendering fair and unbiased judgement, which is what a judge must do.

She believes in using the bench to "make policy" (legislate). This is what corrupts our system, and makes a mockery of justice.

When cases are decided with "empathy" toward one party (as Obama has stated he wants), then justice is not served. There simply is no justice in that case.

The firefighters case now before the Supreme Court, is a perfect example of this.
Thank you for your opinion, it is interesting, though not based in fact.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,587 times
I hope that Republicans block her nomination so they can separate themselves from Latinos and further destroy the Republican Party, or Rush Limbaugh's/Dick Cheney's Party.

Remember, its not what you say, its how you say it.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
The GOP is racist...
Yea, the "Big Tent Party" full of bitter old white guys.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 AM

327 posts, read 755,211 times
I thought Republicans were all about the most qualified (or very well qualified) person getting the job. It shouldn't be about race. Right? Now that we have well qualified Hispanic female up for the Supreme Court, they're making it about race. I wish they'd make their minds up.

In some ways, I'm really gonna hate to see this little group of ne`er-do-wells fade into obscurity. It really is highly entertaining watching this circus act self destruct. You never know what to expect next!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Have you even looked at her qualifications?? She has the MOST Federal Judiciary experience of anyone appointed in nearly 100 years!! I've read her rulings and opinions and though I may not agree with all of them, they are well thought out and based fully in law.

First the Repubs moan and complain about Obama not having enough experience, they pick a lady with a TON of experience and they don't like that either. She has the experience, the knowledge and the know-how and regardless of what 'side' she's on, I think she will make an excellent Justice!

Some people will never be happy no matter what.
I'd say the fact that her rulings have been over-turned over 60% of the time should be acknowledged and emphasized as it goes to the question of her competency.

Also, by her own words she has shown us she is a racist and gets into identity politics. But then, that's probably why this POTUS has selected her, in the first place.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
"The following is the text of the Judge Mario G. Olmos Memorial Lecture in 2001, delivered at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, by appeals court judge Sonia Sotomayor."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/us...ewanted=1&_r=2

Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Guess I am just way behind the times, but all this Latino/Hispanic/African stuff bothers me.
I always had the idea we elected/appointed Americans to public office.
These 'special' designations make it sound like they are something other than.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Could you just imagine if a white judge said "A white man can make a better decision then a latino women"

OOOOh the joke of all this....funny thing is that most minorities are more racist then whites haaaaa.
Did you read Sotomayor's full speech in order to put this sentence in context? I read the full speech and found nothing racist about that statement. I find it very interesting how so many conservatives have pounced on this statement. However, I really believe that the comments that I have heard and read show an ignorance about racism, more generally.

I looked at the modified statement that you presented. It is interesting, indeed. As a person of color, I have heard such statements all my life -- and often in many different forms. The notion of White supremacy is so commonplace in America that we often fail to critically question its impact -- and too often, take its ill-forgotten assumptions for granted. Honestly, no one really has to verbally express the modified statement that you presented. After all, it continuously gets expressed in so many other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies