Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times

Advertisements

I care less either way.

I'm more concerned with other issues- that are more important to me...Like people losing jobs, losing their homes, not able to feed their children,etc, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
OK.

Let's leave everything up to the will of the people.

Sounds like a great idea for a country.

I'm actually with you on this.

The only thing we'll leave off the table is religion, a personal issue that people can decide for themselves. Everything else is open to the power of the people. Let's do it! And I'm serious, too.

Do things that way and we might end up with NO marriage at all. Might not be the worst thing in the world, either.
you can't half ass it... throw it all in...
if america people want state sanctioned religion.. let them vote it in.. or if they want to abolish religious rights... let the people be heard!!!
Lets vote on everything that comes our way..
and see who starts screaming and complaining then..
the scary precedent on gay marriage.. opens the doors for such challenges...
you may be part of a slim majority on this issue, but I'd be willing to bet.. you're a minority on many others and you just might come out of it with fewer rights.. and a good wakeupcall...
while we're at it.. lets change marriage back to one man and one woman of the same race...
everyone with a spouse that is not the same race as you... you're no longer married if it passes...
it's what the people want.. they disapprove of it... sorry

Old 05-29-2009, 10:45 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
For starters maybe because I haven't said any of those things. But that's OK. You don't have to listen to me. And now I won't listen to you. See how it works? It wasn't my doing.
If you were to read my post again and see that I put you in quotation marks, it was to signify that I was not intending you in general, but the mass that has made the negative determinations about gay people. Do not take it personally dude.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,153 times
Quote:
OK.

Let's leave everything up to the will of the people.

Sounds like a great idea for a country.

I'm actually with you on this.

The only thing we'll leave off the table is religion, a personal issue that people can decide for themselves. Everything else is open to the power of the people. Let's do it! And I'm serious, too.

Dangerous... the will of the people has always been transient and not set on an enduring foundation or logic for that matter. In many cases it is based on emotional whims of the day or month or year. Ask Abraham Lincoln about the will of the people. If he had respected that, the United States would not be the country it is today.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
If you were to read my post again and see that I put you in quotation marks, it was to signify that I was not intending you in general, but the mass that has made the negative determinations about gay people. Do not take it personally dude.
It's no big deal... But unlike the other poster who I did misinterpret and did apologize to, your response was very clearly directed at me. Quotes notwithstanding, I asked why people who want to be heard so much won't listen to the other side, and your response was a very clearly stated why should we?

Again, I don't take it personally, but if that's the way you feel then that's the way you feel. And I did not say you shouldn't feel that way anyway. You are right that people have been very hateful with their comments. I haven't been an angel myself, but I'm trying to take a better approach. But people aren't listening to each other and it's coming from both sides of this and every other argument here. I guess it's just the way things are.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Dangerous... the will of the people has always been transient and not set on an enduring foundation or logic for that matter. In many cases it is based on emotional whims of the day or month or year. Ask Abraham Lincoln about the will of the people. If he had respected that, the United States would not be the country it is today.
Fair enough. I hope you can appreciate where the statement came from though, because it came with good intentions.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you can't half ass it... throw it all in...
if america people want state sanctioned religion.. let them vote it in.. or if they want to abolish religious rights... let the people be heard!!!
Lets vote on everything that comes our way..
and see who starts screaming and complaining then..
the scary precedent on gay marriage.. opens the doors for such challenges...
you may be part of a slim majority on this issue, but I'd be willing to bet.. you're a minority on many others and you just might come out of it with fewer rights.. and a good wakeupcall...
while we're at it.. lets change marriage back to one man and one woman of the same race...
everyone with a spouse that is not the same race as you... you're no longer married if it passes...
it's what the people want.. they disapprove of it... sorry
I hear you. See post #66.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 AM

355 posts, read 447,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I care less either way.

I'm more concerned with other issues- that are more important to me...Like people losing jobs, losing their homes, not able to feed their children,etc, etc...
Homosexual marriage legitimizes a lifestyle that is morally reprehensible. It clearly goes against what is stated throughout the Bible.

To borrow a line from the old saying, if God favored homosexual relations he would have created Adam and Steve along with Adam and Eve.

On your other point --

After four or eight years with Obama at the helm you will be sorely disappointed to find that even more people will lose their jobs, their homes, and won't be able to feed their families.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I hope you can appreciate where the statement came from though, because it came with good intentions.
Oh i'm not even getting into the whole gay marriage debate with this ... I mean in general I'm not sure we should run along with that suggestion willy nilly

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Homosexual marriage legitimizes a lifestyle that is morally reprehensible. It clearly goes against what is stated throughout the Bible.

To borrow a line from the old saying, if God favored homosexual relations he would have created Adam and Steve along with Adam and Eve.

On your other point --

Seriously, I highly question an individual who knows what god favours! Let us leave the judgement of people to god. I'm sorry to knock you off your pedestal - but I know i am not engaging in a debate with god here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies