Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:23 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Universal healthcare is cheaper and it covers everyone.

In 2008, the United States will spend 17 percent of its gross domestic product (GDP) on health care. It is projected that the percentage will reach 20 percent by 2017.1
Although nearly 46 million Americans are uninsured, the United States spends more on health care than other industrialized nations, and those countries provide health insurance to all their citizens.3
Health care spending accounted for 10.9 percent of the GDP in Switzerland, 10.7 percent in Germany, 9.7 percent in Canada and 9.5 percent in France, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.4

NCHC | Facts About Healthcare - Health Insurance Costs (http://www.nchc.org/facts/cost.shtml - broken link)
With over 306 MILLION people in the US, its pretty hard to compare it with the countries above and imply it would even remotely work if implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
So, somone one please remind me why it is our governments responsibility to provide a universal healthcare system.
Because healthcare involves life and death situations. You know, like if your house was on fire, or being burglarized, or if the nation was being attacked.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM

519 posts, read 688,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Because healthcare involves life and death situations. You know, like if your house was on fire, or being burglarized, or if the nation was being attacked.
That's the weakest argument i've heard yet. Life or Death situations? Isn't that what LIFE is all about? So government should insulate you from fate?
I disagree. Shat happens. That's life. If you don't prepare for the worst, that shouldn't be the governments fault (or responsibility). Government is supposed to be a framework, not a lifeline. Unfortunately it's the lifeline mentality that is turning this nation into a Nanny State.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
With over 306 MILLION people in the US, its pretty hard to compare it with the countries above and imply it would even remotely work if implemented.
Fine.

Compare it with all of western Europe, Japan, Canada and Australia, if it will make you feel better.

Why would the population have any effect? Is our military less effective than Canada's because of our larger population?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Learn English.

A "right" doesn't have to come from a legal document or Constitution.

right - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary[2]

I can claim a right that does not exist in US legal law. Many slaves, and blacks did this remember???? Women did this when they couldnt vote....remember????
Comparing the right to vote with the right to government provided healthcare. You're really grasping aren't you?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
That's the weakest argument i've heard yet. Life or Death situations? Isn't that what LIFE is all about? So government should insulate you from fate?
I disagree.
So, you support the private sector taking control of police, fire and the military?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Fine.

Why would the population have any effect?
Is this a trick question?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
Quote:
So, you support the private sector taking control of police, fire and the military?

that already have in many cases.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
I see, so if you did NOT have healthcare & became sick, you'd be ok if you were turned away or given a bill for let's say $4,000. for some bloodwork & an office visit. Yeah, I'm sure you'd be juuuust fine w/that scenario. Like the hollering wouldn't be heard from timbuktu.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:31 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Is this your opinion or do you have data to back up this odd theory of reverse economies of scale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies