U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,749 posts, read 8,799,115 times
Reputation: 6445

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: News

Yep--nevermind if you are even remotely qualified, if you got the cash, Obama has the job. Un freakin believable!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 AM
 
Location: South Fla
9,644 posts, read 8,611,983 times
Reputation: 1942
Doesnt that sound a bit like pay to play

The president acknowledged in a news conference in January that donors might get plum postings.

That sounds kinda like Blago

So glad this is change I can believe in
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 AM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,882,861 times
Reputation: 939
Default From the Article

"Since John F. Kennedy became president in 1961, about one- third of ambassadorships have gone to campaign donors or other politically connected individuals, according to the American Academy of Diplomacy.

Between January 2001 and January 2007, President George W. Bush named 124 people to foreign posts. Fifty-three had raised at least $100,000 for his presidential campaigns, according to the Center for Public Integrity, a Washington-based watchdog group.

On Jan. 9, when Obama conceded he wouldn’t abandon the practice, he said, “It would be disingenuous for me to suggest that there are not going to be some excellent public servants but who haven’t come through the ranks of the civil service.”

Do you EVER read the links you post? Where was the faned outrage when Bushy and the rest of the Presidents were doing it? Where was the outrage when Obama said he would continue the practice? More to do about nothing. I see another First Lady eyelash thread coming
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 AM
 
823 posts, read 1,991,784 times
Reputation: 424
What exactly is unbelievable? These are titular positions. Ohhh someone who donated a lot of money to Obama's campaign is now the ambassador to Denmark! BFD. When it came to countries where the ambassador actually might matter (China, India, etc) he picked well qualified people.

When he picks someone he went to high school with to run the Department of Agriculture (*cough* Palin *cough*) I will worry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,749 posts, read 8,799,115 times
Reputation: 6445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
"Since John F. Kennedy became president in 1961, about one- third of ambassadorships have gone to campaign donors or other politically connected individuals, according to the American Academy of Diplomacy.

Between January 2001 and January 2007, President George W. Bush named 124 people to foreign posts. Fifty-three had raised at least $100,000 for his presidential campaigns, according to the Center for Public Integrity, a Washington-based watchdog group.

On Jan. 9, when Obama conceded he wouldn’t abandon the practice, he said, “It would be disingenuous for me to suggest that there are not going to be some excellent public servants but who haven’t come through the ranks of the civil service.”

Do you EVER read the links you post? Where was the faned outrage when Bushy and the rest of the Presidents were doing it? Where was the outrage when Obama said he would continue the practice? More to do about nothing. I see another First Lady eyelash thread coming
Yes i did. All I heard for 8 years was how evil Bush is for practicing "Cronyism". As I suspected, according to most liberals, it was wrong for Bush to do it, but ok for Obama to do it. Am I right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,597,606 times
Reputation: 1392
I've always wanted to live in a banana republic!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,357 posts, read 13,878,171 times
Reputation: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Bloomberg.com: News

Yep--nevermind if you are even remotely qualified, if you got the cash, Obama has the job. Un freakin believable!
Pretty standard fare for politics; politicians have really itchy backs that need scratching.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,597,606 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yes i did. All I heard for 8 years was how evil Bush is for practicing "Cronyism". As I suspected, according to most liberals, it was wrong for Bush to do it, but ok for Obama to do it. Am I right?
Just keep the lemmings fed, warm and dumb and you can do whatever your want!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
 
34,990 posts, read 34,744,534 times
Reputation: 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Bloomberg.com: News

Yep--nevermind if you are even remotely qualified, if you got the cash, Obama has the job. Un freakin believable!


Are you this naive? If you'd read your own article you'd know this is just SOP.
Between January 2001 and January 2007, President George W. Bush named 124 people to foreign posts. Fifty-three had raised at least $100,000 for his presidential campaigns, according to the Center for Public Integrity, a Washington-based watchdog group.

One was Roland Arnall, the founder of Ameriquest Mortgage Co., a subprime lender, who served as ambassador to the Netherlands. Ameriquest and its subsidiaries gave $1 million to Bush’s 2005 inaugural committee.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 AM
 
10,543 posts, read 12,011,673 times
Reputation: 2798
Certainly not a change....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top