U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,207,398 times

Advertisements

WTF is this all about?

Openly gay teen voted prom queen at LA high school - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_re_us/us_male_prom_queen - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:23 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,207,191 times
He should've been prom king. If so, I'd say good for him. But, gay or not, he is male.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,272,184 times
Good for that teen.

Shows that gay acceptance is growing. Soon, gay marriage will be allowed and EVERYONE will be EQUAL.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,630,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
WTF is this all about?

Openly gay teen voted prom queen at LA high school - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_re_us/us_male_prom_queen - broken link)
It's about being subversive, destroying cultural mores, and dashing a natural born female's chance at the memory of being Prom Queen. Because "I'm gay, I have my rights! And I want to advertise to everyone about my gayness, and I'm the real queen!".

Sick.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Good for that teen.

Shows that gay acceptance is growing. Soon, gay marriage will be allowed and EVERYONE will be EQUAL.
good for him? he's a guy. how in the world would a guy get voted a queen? this is a joke. can we say, publicity stunt?

oh, and everyone already is equal.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,630,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Good for that teen.

Actually no, they elected him as a joke.

You should read the full article at LA Times.com. There's a section where you can post your thoughts, and there is a teen who goes to Fairfax High who posted. They basically said, don't believe everything you read, don't attempt to say that we're becoming tolerant about gays because we're not adults, and we change our minds often.

Quote:
I am a student at Fairfax High, and trust me, the students who voted for him wanted to see the outcome, for better or for worst, not taking a side. I can't believe how ignorant many students there are in the school I attend, and these students where who composed most of the gay candidate's votes. Blame LAUSD, with their cuts on education and teacher layoffs. But back to the matter, sure a gay student won prom queen at our school, but that shouldn't signify what our generation will do in the future, and how society might change for or against the benefit of gay right's. We're still teenagers, and we change our minds, we regret what we did yesterday or what we did just an instant ago.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...der-roles.html

The comments section is the best.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's about being subversive, destroying cultural mores, and dashing a natural born female's chance at the memory of being Prom Queen. Because "I'm gay, I have my rights! And I want to advertise to everyone about my gayness, and I'm the real queen!".

Sick.
I think it's funny, or at best, an absurd attempt to get publicity. well, they made yahoo, so I guess it worked.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM

8,333 posts, read 9,790,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
He should've been prom king. If so, I'd say good for him. But, gay or not, he is male.
Agree. Whether gay or not is besides the point. He IS male, and should be king. Not queen.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,542,949 times
Well, good for him.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,207,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Agree. Whether gay or not is besides the point. He IS male, and should be king. Not queen.
If anything, this is bad for the gay rights cause. It makes me think they want special rules to apply only to them.

If he had been elected prom king, I would have said "that's progress."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies