Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Hispanics do not vote as a block the way some other groups do. I find it refreshing that hispanics think for themselves and you cannot predict how they will vote.
From what I've seen and heard Cuban-Americans largely vote republican and other Latino groups largely favor the democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I see this being a complicated confirmation hearing. I'am waiting to see how Sonia Sotomayor explains some of her opinions and judicial decisions.
I don't see it as complicated. 59 Democrats, Snowe and a few other Republicans will make this quick.

Here are a list of Senate Republicans still serving who voted for her previous conformation.

Bennett (R-UT)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Hatch (R-UT)
Judd (R-NH)
Lugar (R-IN)
Snowe (R-ME)

It is doubtful that many will change their votes without some very compelling reasons and Snowe has already said she approves of the choice of Sotomayor.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I don't care for it either, but that's politics. She hasn't done anything to be opposed. She's been a judge with a long career and tough on crime.
Race aside, she has had over 60% of her decisions overturned by higher courts, that alone should disqualify her based on her lack of abilities to follow the Constitution of the United States.

That should be the measure of her getting the job or not... And I would say not....

Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Race aside, she has had over 60% of her decisions overturned by higher courts, that alone should disqualify her based on her lack of abilities to follow the Constitution of the United States.

That should be the measure of her getting the job or not... And I would say not....
starlite, do you realize how incredibly few of her decided cases were even taken up on appeal by the Supreme Court? She decided hundreds of cases, 380 to be exact, and only five were taken on appeal. Of those five, three were reversed.

Justice Alito had two of his cases taken by the Supreme Court. They reversed both of them. A 100% reversal rate! Get him off the bench!

You're starting the petition, right?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
The Repubs don't want to lose the Hispanic vote.
The repubs get a Spanish vote? The Cuban Americans maybe but what other Spanish vote? They don't vote repub. They vote with the hand out crowd.

I bet you can guess why the Cubans vote Republican.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
The repubs get a Spanish vote? The Cuban Americans maybe but what other Spanish vote? They don't vote repub. They vote with the hand out crowd.

I bet you can guess why the Cubans vote Republican.
The hand out vote??? Like tax cuts, along with expanded gov. services, like the republicans offer???? Don't make excuses anymore if you care for your party...The republicans are alienating "EVERYONE" from latinos to moderates ( RINOS).

Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
The hand out vote??? Like tax cuts, along with expanded gov. services, like the republicans offer???? Don't make excuses anymore if you care for your party...The republicans are alienating "EVERYONE" from latinos to moderates ( RINOS).
We don't get he hispanic vote and never will and we don't want the moderates you can have them. We need some real conservatives not RINOS. Tax cuts for people that don't pay taxes, yeah that's a big help to those who do.

He's where the judge gets her talking points from.........the club she belongs to..........

laraza.com

Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
We don't get he hispanic vote and never will and we don't want the moderates you can have them. We need some real conservatives not RINOS. Tax cuts for people that don't pay taxes, yeah that's a big help to those who do.

He's where the judge gets her talking points from.........the club she belongs to..........

laraza.com
Put down the whiskey, drink a few glasses of water, and go to sleep.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:

laraza.com
The smear campaign continues. Two disasgerous elections for you for alienating these same groups and republicans continue the same way of thinking...I guess you're complaining about the current pres. but obviously don't understand that this way of thinking is why your party lost...as far as I'm concerned keep it up.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:

laraza.com
Looks like we've got them, which is why your party failed so miserably in the last election.

Can you explain about the tax cuts for people who don't pay taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies