Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,954,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.
This is my point and it is very simple - i CAN'T help my sexuality. I can have the opinion that is inferior, equal to or superior to heterosexuality but that opinion is irrelevant to the desire that i have within and I see no logical reason to suppress it. I Can't change it so why should i suppress it and why shouldn't i be able to marry the person I love. These are all simple things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,431,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I quickly looked at it and will have to read more - i don't deny it but my example about the chimp holding her dead baby is valid.

Aside from that of course i don't advocate these behaviours that cause harm, but i think i've made the case for the natural inclination of behaviour and connecting the animal and human kingdom in that regard. Having said that, i do think a rational person would have to agree that there is no harm done in two people of like sex engaging in sex or getting married.
No, two like minded homosexuals engaging in abnormal sex together hurts nobody but them.

Two like minded homosexuals marrying upsets cultural mores that our civilization has held for eons, and confuses gender roles and behaviors in society (i.e. the Boy Prom Queen) in order to make them appear "normal".

Old 05-31-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
This is my point and it is very simple - i CAN'T help my sexuality. I can have the opinion that is inferior, equal to or superior to heterosexuality but that opinion is irrelevant to the desire that i have within and I see no logical reason to suppress it. I Can't change it so why should i suppress it and why shouldn't i be able to marry the person I love. These are all simple things.
You should be free to live your life as you choose.

The fact remains that same sex marriage is permitted in some states and not in others. Civil unions exist where marriage doesn't. What is the problem with that?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
No, two like minded homosexuals engaging in abnormal sex together hurts nobody but them.

Two like minded homosexuals marrying upsets cultural mores that our civilization has held for eons, and confuses gender roles and behaviors in society (i.e. the Boy Prom Queen).

You are making an inference that two like minded homosexuals engaging in sex together hurts anybody including themelves - you don't know you are not engaging in homosexual activity to know this.... right!? Regardless, hardly enough to base societal laws upon.

Don't get me started on cultural mores held for eons... there are alot of animalistic human cultural mores society has held onto for eons that make poo flinging look civil...

Shall we look at Papua New Guinea and their cultural mores of providing the male essence of older males to younger males - or are you going to deny they are human.

As for gender roles all i can say is thank god for Universal Suffrage - you should have been there to see it!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
You are making an inference that two like minded homosexuals engaging in sex together hurts anybody including themelves - you don't know you are not engaging in homosexual activity to know this.... right!? Regardless, hardly enough to base societal laws upon.

Don't get me started on cultural mores held for eons... there are alot of animalistic human cultural mores society has held onto for eons that make poo flinging look civil...

Shall we look at Papua New Guinea and their cultural mores of providing the male essence of older males to younger males - or are you going to deny they are human.

As for gender roles all i can say is thank god for Universal Suffrage - you should have been there to see it!
In the United States it is unacceptable for two men or two women to marry in many states. I am not concerned with New Guinea's cultural mores because they do not apply to my culture in the United States.

I don't pass any judgment on foreign cultures because I don't live in their societies. If I did, then I would have a different world view. There is also a tradition of cannibalism in Papua New Guinea - I don't agree with people eating people but for ritualistic reasons they have, we don't have that tradition in the USA, nor do we have a tradition of offering up boys to older men.

The poo flinging parties that the cave men had were bound to fall out of favor.

Again, what's the problem with civil unions? They are available in states where marriage is not.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 05-31-2009 at 12:20 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:

The fact remains that same sex marriage is permitted in some states and not in others. Civil unions exist where marriage doesn't. What is the problem with that?
I honestly just don't see the point in the inequality among states - it makes no sense. You are all American right... since i've come on this site I see a nation in such division.. The best parts of your country are -unity, freedom and equality...

Old 05-31-2009, 12:18 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,124,976 times
Quote:

What if I said you can drive,but you can't vote? That's the problem! Just because someone is a homosexual does NOT make them a lesser person so why should they settle for partial rights. Women used to have partial rights then we came to our senses;black people too,so why not gay people?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
What if I said you can drive,but you can't vote? That's the problem! Just because someone is a homosexual does NOT make them a lesser person so why should they settle for partial rights. Women used to have partial rights then we came to our senses;black people too,so why not gay people?
No. A civil union is the same thing as "marriage" what's the problem with civil unions?

Marriage for straight people.

Civil unions for gay people (in states where "marriage" is not allowed).

It's already been well established that a civil union accomplishes exactly the same thing as "marriage" does for straight people.

It has to be a "state by state" issue, feds are out of it. What's wrong with civil unions in states where marriage is not allowed?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,124,976 times
Quote:
No. A civil union is the same thing as "marriage" what's the problem with civil unions?

Marriage for straight people.

Civil unions for gay people (in states where "marriage" is not allowed).

It has to be a "state by state" issue, feds are out of it. What's wrong with civil unions in states where marriage is not allowed?
If I told you that you could only have a civil union with your counterpart you'd be upset too.Why can you get married in one state and not another if you are gay? I thought this was the UNITED STATES of america? If we are not going to be united on laws then why not just become 50 separate countries? As for your original comment,a civil union is NOT the same as a legal marriage and you do not get the same certificate.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If I told you that you could only have a civil union with your counterpart you'd be upset too.Why can you get married in one state and not another if you are gay? I thought this was the UNITED STATES of america? If we are not going to be united on laws then why not just become 50 separate countries? As for your original comment,a civil union is NOT the same as a legal marriage and you do not get the same certificate.
Huh?

The certificate?

Are you saying the certificate doesn't look the same? Who the hell frames a marriage certificate? You file it away with important papers and chances are don't ever look at it again after you handle all the legal name change things with drivers license credit cards etc.

The process is the same.

The goal accomplishes the EXACT SAME THING.

No it's about forcing your agenda on people who don't want any part of it. Just admit that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies