Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 04:33 PM

297 posts, read 348,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
No one should ever be thin skinned or offended over a great argument or debate.

There are those of us in this world that may tend to bring up all or any angles when it comes to debate.

I don't believe that genetics plays any kind of role here, and with that, I'll add that there was a day, in our not so distant past, that science taught that the world was flat.

I'm always the forever skeptic when it comes to things like science.
Yes, scientific knowledge constantly evolves and allows us to better understand our world. Do some googling and you might find a lot of your "theories" are either without merit or outdated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:44 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
No the point is that there is a function homosexuality plays in evolutionary processes. A gay gene has already been identified as detailed in the link i provided for you. The fact that you want to relegate gays to apes has nothing to do with this argument. Humans are great apes btw.
I wouldn't relegate gays to apes, but for the sake of argument, how many in this world would?
Given the current state of our society, and society around the world in general, I'd bet that 90% would be relegating in such a way as this, that is, if science proved, beyond any doubt, that genetics were at play here.

For all of the intellect and brilliance that gays might possess, I'm left wondering why, these types of things aren't even mentioned by them.

How would the world, as a whole, respond to the news that evolution, in all of it's unique and facinating ways, somehow seemed to have unleashed a gay gene upon those it thought to make extinct.

And what if, for the sake of argument, the world then looked upon gays as being a part of their own separate hominid species?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
One big difference between interracial marriage laws and same-sex marriage laws:
There are now 10 different types of laws regarding same-sex marriage. There's no way this is going to last. It's creating a legal mess that's only going to get worse as more states and countries recognize same-sex marriage.

Look at this map to see the patchwork of laws across the country:

Gay Marriage Timeline - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 06-03-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
I wouldn't relegate gays to apes, but for the sake of argument, how many in this world would?
Given the current state of our society, and society around the world in general, I'd bet that 90% would be relegating in such a way as this, that is, if science proved, beyond any doubt, that genetics were at play here.

For all of the intellect and brilliance that gays might possess, I'm left wondering why, these types of things aren't even mentioned by them.

How would the world, as a whole, respond to the news that evolution, in all of it's unique and facinating ways, somehow seemed to have unleashed a gay gene upon those it thought to make extinct.

And what if, for the sake of argument, the world then looked upon gays as being a part of their own separate hominid species?
The gay gene(s) is not going to make the world extinct - it is found in common percentages in the animal kingdom. It is a mechanism for population control and the culling of unnecessary genetic material. It is as integral to the evolutionary process as reproduction itself. I agree, the majority in this world wouldn't take it well...in our history there was resistance to many prevailing theories that had eventually been proven factual - but it is what it is

I suggest you further research the genetic causality for homosexuality in nature - and do so with an open mind - not a closed one!!

Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, you're saying that some of us are comparable to apes. I don't know too many people who wouldn't be offended by that.

I am curious: Why do you participate in so many of the gay-related discussions? Trust me, I'm not at all saying (as some would) that you have latent homosexual interests, but the subject obviously interests you on some level. You must find it amusing, or repelling, or intellectually curious - or something like that.
From the time that I was a youngster. I've had a drive to learn, or know, or to try and figure out why or how things work.

The gay issue doesn't, at times, make a whole helluva lot of sense ... it's an evasive subject, whereas, something like, oh, lets say, plate tectonics isn't.

I read quite a bit, and with that, I'll say, that on many levels, the arguments for or against the presumed gay cause just don't seem to add up ... so I dig around.

Gays usually get all offended and their feelers get hurt, while on the other side of it, nongays/christians get their noses all out of joint and get all pissed off.

It's an intriguing study that's for sure, and it's unique, inasmuchas neither side seems to know much about it at all. But yet, everybody gets all up in arms about it.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I could see that argument being made, but since an individual's sexual orientation is not easily categorized, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to classify gays as a separate species.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The gay issue doesn't, at times, make a whole helluva lot of sense ... it's an evasive subject, whereas, something like, oh, lets say, plate tectonics isn't.
How is it "evasive". What is it evading?

Quote:
It's an intriguing study that's for sure, and it's unique, inasmuchas neither side seems to know much about it at all. But yet, everybody gets all up in arms about it.
Well, yes, because you're talking about a core part of who people are. It's not the same as criticizing the way someone dresses, or even something as personal as their religion.

You might have some unusual sexual interests. (I'm not talking about anything illegal - just legal, but unusual sexual interests.) If someone told you that your interests were a result of a birth defect or that nature screwed up in designing you, you might be able to ignore them, but it might also bother you enough to speak up and defend yourself.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I could see that argument being made, but since an individual's sexual orientation is not easily categorized, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to classify gays as a separate species.
But what if it weren't that difficult to determine afterall?

Tests are done inutero every day all around the world, and if indeed this was all just a genetic argument, as some have claimed it to be, then who's to say that the separate species argument couldn't eventually come to fruition?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM

297 posts, read 348,968 times
Quote:

Tests are done inutero every day all around the world, and if indeed this was all just a genetic argument, as some have claimed it to be, then who's to say that the separate species argument couldn't eventually come to fruition?
We are not a separate species. There is evidence to suggest that there are definate physiological differences, however:

BBC NEWS | Health | Scans see 'gay brain differences'

Eventually, enough proof will be discovered to definitively prove what gays already know: Being gay is definately NOT a choice.

Think about it logically for a second. If it were merely simply some form of compulsive sexual desire, would millions of people around the world be willing to die simply to fulfill a physical desire?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Well, I don't believe that it's entirely genetic. There's increasing evidence that it has more to do with hormonal levels in a mother's womb than anything else.

I do believe that if the cause can be determined, it will quickly lead to a push to "cure" it. It could be impossible to do, or it could be very easy. Time will tell.

I have little doubt that most parents would prefer a heterosexual orientation for their children. If it becomes possible to guarantee heterosexuality, however, society would have to address whether or not there would be any disadvantages to doing this. Many studies show differences in talents and capabilities between gay men and straight men. If homosexuality is eliminated, would those differences in capabilities also disappear, and if so, would we be worse off because of it?

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 06-03-2009 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies