Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,764,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I don't know. I thought cities could legalize gay marriage without state government intervention.

Either way, same-sex marriage will be legalized in Georgia one way or another.

Nope, the whole state has to have it.

The only thing some cities can do is develop a domestic partnership registry [provided their state did not ban it] in which couples can register to receive certain legal protections within the city.

This can sometimes help a person obtain health insurance for their spouse if the company they work for provides health insurance for domestic partners.
The only downside is that the couple will be taxed for receiving health insurance while a married heterosexual couple is not received for any employer-based benefits they receive for a spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,207,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
jees, yet another gay thread..
AFAIK, threads are neither gay nor straight. Unless you know something the rest of us don't.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 AM

271 posts, read 181,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Atlanta will probably legalize gay-marriage pretty soon. The issue was brought up some days ago.

I don't live in that cesspool so i really don't care. I am leaving Georgia soon anyways.Where i live homosexuals know better than to flaunt their disgusting lifestyle in public.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:41 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,309,632 times
Why are states burning time and money on this issue right now? Most are beyond tapped.
Priorities?

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Why are states burning time and money on this issue right now? Most are beyond tapped.
Priorities?
Adding a Domestic Partnership registry in the same office as the marriage license counter ain't costing anything. And, BTW, Nevada legislature (both houses) just announced the veto override and, as of October, 2009, Nevada will have domestic partnership available for both opposite sex and same sex couples! Whahoo!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Nevada will pass a bill to allow gay marriage sometime soon. good one Nevada
Ah, I would not hold your breath waiting.

NV voters have previously OVER WHELMINGLY turn down same sex marriage.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,408,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Pam's House Blend:: BREAKING: Nevada Senate Overrides Governor's Domestic Partnership Veto

Emphasis mine.

This is a great day for same-sex couples in Nevada.
Looks to me like it applies to opposite sex partners who live together as well.

Big deal.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,764,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, you know I have mixed feelings on the kids issue. Sorry. I'm starting to think through it some more, though, and I without a doubt don't support taking away rights from those who have kids biologically, nor do I support restricting gay couples from legal protections.

YouTube - 10 Couples: Jan and Lauren

I couldn't help but think of you when I watched these.

Quote:
We are a family just like any other family.

YouTube - Maryland's Same-Sex Couples Seek Justice For Their Families

Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,444,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am dissapointed it's not marriage but something is better than nothing.
The legislature couldn't pass it if it was marriage because the people of Nevada already voted on the issue.
It's a step in the right direction anyway. This will take time, but eventually gay marriage will be legal. The narrow minded bigots will fight it the entire way, but their voices will be marginalized as time goes on. We'll see it in our life time.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's a step in the right direction anyway. This will take time, but eventually gay marriage will be legal. The narrow minded bigots will fight it the entire way, but their voices will be marginalized as time goes on. We'll see it in our life time.
Keep in mind that MANY States have now codified in their States Constitutions, the definition of "Marriage" as between one man and one woman.

The number of States doing this is increasing tremendously and, in 2010, something like 20 more states will have similar measures on their ballots.

IMO, you will NOT see wide spread same sex "marriages" in the United States for many, many decades - if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies