Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support capital punishment?
Yes 31 52.54%
No 28 47.46%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:44 AM

355 posts, read 447,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Many people are under the mistaken impression that capital punishment saves money and/or serves a deterrent.

Clearly, neither is the case as evidenced by these statistics:

Murder Rates 1996 - 2007 | Death Penalty Information Center (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007 - broken link)

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Why would anyone continue to support it, particularly when the risk of executing someone who is innocent is factored in?

Why not just lock them up and throw away the key? Is there really any value in the DP other than revenge?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/us/25death.html
Once again we read more leftist rhetoric from a self-described conservative.

Death penalties are warranted for abhorrent actions such as murder. The Bible clearly condones capital punishment for capital crimes and our laws favoring the death penalty are based on these Biblical verses.

And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
Leviticus 24:18-21

Your point about being a risk in executing the innocent is well-stated; however, life is full of risks. Simply waking up in the morning and shaving involves risks. You being a non-believer in our Lord Savior involves an enormous risk. Are you getting the message?

Locking someone up in prison for life is more costly to society when you consider the prisoners' three meals per day, healthcare, and the basic expenses of housing these societal deviants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Many people are under the mistaken impression that capital punishment saves money and/or serves a deterrent.

Clearly, neither is the case as evidenced by these statistics:

Murder Rates 1996 - 2007 | Death Penalty Information Center (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007 - broken link)

Costs of the Death Penalty | Death Penalty Information Center

Why would anyone continue to support it, particularly when the risk of executing someone who is innocent is factored in?

Why not just lock them up and throw away the key? Is there really any value in the DP other than revenge?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/us/25death.html
Unfortunately the question is not as simple as yes or no for some of us. If the legal system was fair and everyone had the same level of defense I might support it, but with today’s justice system it is just too likely an innocent person can get put to death, one is too many. Lock em up in maximum security prisons and keep them locked down for 23 hours a day, it is a living death but it is at least one where we can later release them if found to be not guilty, death is irreversible.
Casper

Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
I support the death penalty but not for the reasons one might think. My father was murdered when I was 14, but I still didn't support the death penalty and even gave an impassioned speech against the death penalty several years later in a college speech class. I know this opinion isn't popular here, but I began to change my feelings after studying the Bible. A lot of people will state that old testament law prescribed capital punishment for many things and it did. But if I understand the Bible correctly, the only offense before the law was given, (outside of the law that the Jews were given) that merited death, was "murder." This was because man was made in the image of God and his life was therefore, sacred. The scribe penalty for taking that life was death.

So today I do support the death penalty based on that biblical injunction for certain heinous murders. I am concerned, however, that too many innocent people may be executed. I do think this argument against it carries some weight. However, our lengthy appeals process does give some slack with that. On the other hand, we do have the ability today to incarcerate people in a very secure manner so that they are not loosed on society. Overall, though, I woudn't say I'm "for" the death penalty but it is legal in my state and I am not against as I was in college. I do support judicious use of it.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
No, the purpose is to kill the killers. The purpose is justice. It just needs to happen faster after sentencing. It's the appeal process that's in need of reform.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 AM

355 posts, read 447,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, the purpose is to kill the killers. The purpose is justice. It just needs to happen faster after sentencing. It's the appeal process that's in need of reform.
Very well-written and devoutly rational.

You deserve reputation points.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Not at all; the purpose is not justice, it is retribution. The appeals process is a safety net so that we don't execute the innocent. If one of your family were falsely convicted of a murder and sentenced to death, you would want that process in place so that you could set them (rightfully) free.

This is why I oppose the death penalty. Convictions are the opinion of twelve people who are presented with evidence that is, by design, weighted toward the prosecution. They draw a conclusion from the whole of the trial.

In death penalty cases, many who are accused cannot afford an attorney at all, and must use the public defender system. Public defenders have high caseloads, and frequently have little to no experience in defending a death penalty case - it's luck of the draw as to which cases they get, to my understanding.

As I recall, in Texas, a public defender slept through significant portions of his client's trial, and the Texas Supreme Court held that he got a fair trial despite his attorney's non-participation in it. Can you say that this man was truly guilty? I can't. (I don't remember what crime the man was accused.) In a death penalty case, with limited appeals, this is unforgivable.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I support capital punishment over life imprisonment.

There is a cost savings when you factor in medical care, room and board, for the life of a criminal behind bars. That's one less criminal you have to take care of till he's 80.

Exterminate him and make room for another criminal.

Charles Manson should have been dead at least 30 years ago.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Good luck taking away rights to appeals. Courts would have a huge problem with that.

Don't get me wrong - some reforms could be possible, but taking away the right would be unconstitutional.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Once again we read more leftist rhetoric from a self-described conservative.

Death penalties are warranted for abhorrent actions such as murder. The Bible clearly condones capital punishment for capital crimes and our laws favoring the death penalty are based on these Biblical verses.

And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
Leviticus 24:18-21

The Bible has no place in our laws.

And, yes, I am a CONSERVATIVE, though a relatively moderate one. Get it into that thick skull of yours. All conservatives don't go around full of hatred the way you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Locking someone up in prison for life is more costly to society when you consider the prisoners' three meals per day, healthcare, and the basic expenses of housing these societal deviants.
Wrong. The costs of the trial and appeals in a DP case greatly outweigh the costs of locking an offender up for the rest of his or her life.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Wrong. The costs of the trial and appeals in a DP case greatly outweigh the costs of locking an offender up for the rest of his or her life.
Not every prisoner can afford to foot the bill for their appeal.

That will knock the price down considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies