Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,514,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
dingdingdingding! we have a winner!
please pick up your choice of stuffed animals as you exit the booth.

Just dont pick up the monkey or someone will call you racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Just dont pick up the monkey or someone will call you racist.
of that, there is no doubt whatsoever

Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,620,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
dingdingdingding! we have a winner!
please pick up your choice of stuffed animals as you exit the booth.
I think I'll take the stuffed elephant.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Because it makes liberals seem like they are all for civil rights, when in actuality they just push it to get the minority vote.
Seeing how affirmative action was supported by both Democratic and Republicans, I am not sure, strike that, I have no idea as to what you base your claim on. As an example I point to Nixon's Philadelphia Plan as one of the most sweeping affirmative action plans ever devised.

But, to answer the OP. Affirmative Action was never a sweeping national mandate, instead it was a program implemented on as needed basis, as long as their is need within the criteria set by the Supreme Court, it will remain a viable policy although I will be the first to argue that it is an ever diminishing necessity.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
No, we don't.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Well, white guys don't need it any more.

Please tell me about how affirmative action has harmed you and raised your racial tension.

George Will had an interesting column on affirmative action and it's affect on the workplace. One of the unexpected side effects of affirmative action was that employers had to discard tests to qualify potential employees and to qualify existing employees for promotion. When the results of the tests consistently resulted in higher scores for whites, employers were sued for discrimination. Even if the employer was eventually vindicated, the expense of lawsuits made the adminstration of the old employment tests a costly exercise.

But employers still had an interest in hiring employees capable of performing the work. If they couldn't test the potential employees' skills, they had to use some other mechanism for ensuring that the employee was capable. So they turned to educational degrees. And the trend has grown exponentially over the past few decades, so that college degrees are required for even entry-level positions. Job experience is devalued if it is not accompanied by educational background.

While I think that devaluing actual on-the-job experience is a bad thing, a lot of people would say that having a better educated workforce is a good thing. But better education doesn't always tie in to better employees. First of all, college is expensive. People coming out of college need to pay off loans. There is an expectation that just having a degree merits better pay. Shouldn't pay be based on job performance, not educational background? The increased pay requirements drives employers labor costs up, that gets passed on to consumers.

Since our colleges are essentially a private school program, and private school programs inherently favor the wealthy, when you base employment on educational background, you are setting up a system where the impoverished are routinely and systematically discriminated against. Poverty sustains poverty in a world where the basic requirement for getting a good job is beyond your reach. Scholarships address to this to a certain degree, but not consistently or completely. The dependence on college degrees as qualification for jobs actually contributes to the growing disparity in this country in income.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I think I'll take the stuffed elephant.
Here ya go!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
How do you see any difference between placing incompetent affirmative action employees and the standard cronyism and nepotism that has always pi$$ed me off?

If any system has to run stupid, I kind of like the effect of color added to the white pig crony system. Case in point, Bush's FEMA director.

Either way though, incompetence becomes the god. GWB established that!
"White pig crony system"...now that sounds racist. I am so offended ..You seem very angry .
I wonder if the admins will ban you..probably not.

lol so every white person in the work place is from cronyism and nepotism...now that is funny.

Oh and before you blame GWB's Fema director...make sure you throw some blame on Gov. Blanco and Nagin...only fair

Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Title says it all....why.

I mean I'll give you many yrs back you may have needed it..maybe...but now...plz.

Aff.action, why..This is just a job killer not creator.

Why should a company or Govt. agency have to hire a person who is NOT qualified,why ?

Why not take a test and who passes gets the job and who fails doesnt..pretty simple.

I worked many yrs for the City of N.Y. and witness this Aff. Action B.S. 1st hand.....I have seen people passed over for promotion many times because they were NOT the right color or backround.

All that comes out of Aff. Action is a less productive work force,plain and simple! I say this not because minorities are less qualified (because some liberal fool will say this is what I mean) but if you educated people instead of giving hand outs we would have a work force that would rival any in the world. Instead Aff. Action rewards the less educated and punishes the people who tried hard to get educated and move up in the work force.

I have also seen minorities who scored among the highest on tests but because there scores were HIGHER than other minorities were also passed over for there promotions..again it comes back to rewarding failure!

Aff. action is a sad joke.....and I can tell you this...Aff. Action just causes more racial tensions !

Votes.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:03 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Why should a company or Govt. agency have to hire a person who is NOT qualified,why ?
Do you even know what affirmative action is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies