Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times

Advertisements

What is a not for profit?
Is anyone donating their time? I don't believe so.
Were or have you ever been 18 and pregnant? If not then you may not have a good frame of reference. What kind of supportive "partner" would be in favor of this. Live a little longer, you may see it for what it is.
I do appreciate your reasonable response.
Was this doctor working at planned parenthood? I have not purposely looked into it because I find it reprehensible that a doctor would take a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:31 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Were or have you ever been 18 and pregnant? If not then you may not have a good frame of reference. What kind of supportive "partner" would be in favor of this. Live a little longer, you may see it for what it is.
Was this doctor working at planned parenthood? I have not purposely looked into it because I find it reprehensible that a doctor would take a life.
Yes, PP is not for profit - they charge for services on a sliding scale, and operational costs are paid through these charges and through donations. The people who work there are paid salaries, and the volunteers are unpaid. The person who holds your hand through the process, holds back your hair while you vomit from the meds, makes sure you have all your questions answered, helps you get ready to leave, and walks you through the protesters shouting at you - that would be a volunteer.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yes, PP is not for profit - they charge for services on a sliding scale, and operational costs are paid through these charges and through donations. The people who work there are paid salaries, and the volunteers are unpaid. The person who holds your hand through the process, holds back your hair while you vomit from the meds, makes sure you have all your questions answered, helps you get ready to leave, and walks you through the protesters shouting at you - that would be a volunteer.
I understand not for profit.
Do you as a volunteer ever follow up with the person you just shared such an intimate moment with?
Easy to ride the hero bus for 45 minutes. They have to live with it for 50 years.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Time to start visiting the church services of Operation Rescue leaders.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Not for profit means exactly what it says -- not for profit. They cannot make a profit. And yes, people donate their time to Planned Parenthood or work for a reduced rate. Others actually donate money to it because it's a not for profit and they get a tax deduction for it.

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by "What kind of supportive 'partner' would be in favor of this." but I will say that I know couples around that age who made a decision together -- some chose to abort, some to sustain the pregnancy. In all the case I know, the choice made was the first choice of the woman, but that's specific to the cases I know. These are what I would call "supportive partners" I also know of other cases where the man pressured the woman into an abortion but the woman made her own choice. These men often turned out to be neither supportive nor partners.

Quote:
This particular doctor had his own clinic and did not work for Planned Parenthood. Considering that many of the abortions he preformed saved the life of the pregnant woman (and in some cases, girls) I would find not preforming an abortion reprehensible.

But then, I firmly believe that a woman has a right to control her own body.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Then I bow to your right.
I stand for life in all forms and stages.
I have a right to this also.

BTW, did this doctor save these "lives" at no charge?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Quote:
Do you as a volunteer ever follow up with the person you just shared such an intimate moment with?
Easy to ride the hero bus for 45 minutes. They have to live with it for 50 years.
If you understand what a non-profit organization is, why did you ask the question? I believe that is called trolling.

I believe Tiller had his own clinic. It was probably a "professional corporation", which is how most medical practices are organized. It was probably a for-profit organization. The same is probably true of your own doctors' practices.

Why do you disparage the poster for volunteering. What have you done for the "pro-life" side lately?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
I don't think that followup has ever been asked for, honestly. Most women are simply relieved that the procedure is over and they can go back to their normal lives, once the aftereffects are gone. They tend to be nervous about having an unfamiliar procedure - heck, lots of women are nervous at going to their 20th gynecological exam! Not that there is never sadness; who can help but wonder at what might have been, had the circumstances been different?

You know, I've never had a child. I've never been able to - got pregnant once, and lost it at about ten weeks. I never had the money for medical intervention of the degree necessary to even have a hope of success, either. Sometimes this knowledge, that I will never be a mother, makes my cry, even now. But I would never presume that my desire to be a mother is every woman's desire, nor that my judgment is better than another woman's judgment for what is best in her life. That is why I am pro-choice.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you understand what a non-profit organization is, why did you ask the question? I believe that is called trolling.

I believe Tiller had his own clinic. It was probably a "professional corporation", which is how most medical practices are organized. It was probably a for-profit organization. The same is probably true of your own doctors' practices.

Why do you disparage the poster for volunteering. What have you done for the "pro-life" side lately?
Of course I understand what non profs are.
I am not trolling. I am asking a question if this doctor made his living on these abortions.
Did he have an OB practice?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Of course I understand what non profs are.
I am not trolling. I am asking a question if this doctor made his living on these abortions.
Did he have an OB practice?
I guess I'm mystified why you'd ask what is non-profit if you already knew the answer. I don't know if the guy had an OB practice. What difference would it make to a pro-lifer if he made 1/4 of his income, or 1/2 his income, or all his income from abortions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies