Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh, come on now! The highlighted portion is pure bovine scatology!

It may be b s, but underlying the pro-life movement is a presumption over and over again that the infant's interests trump the mother's. Over and over again are posters who criticize women who choose to abort as being either morally bereft or intellectually challenged. Pregnancy can be a joyous celebration of life. It can also be an overwhelming burden.

Dr. Tiller respected that women, as the persons who will most certainly bear the burden of pregnancy, as well as most likely the burdens of child-rearing, should be afforded the privacy to decide when those burdens are too overwhelming. Dr. Tiller respected that women are intelligent adults fully aware of the ramifications of the responsibilities of motherhood, and he enabled women to make this difficult and serious choice.

Late-term abortions by their very nature are rare and often threatening. Any women that has chosen not to abort during the first two trimesters either wants that child or has not been in a position to make any choices. The problems with either the fetus's health or the mother's were not anticipated for whatever reason. Dr. Tiller provided an expertise that, like it or not, is something that is needed. There are times when late-term abortions are necessary to save the life of the mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Oh, come on now! The highlighted portion is pure bovine scatology!
How is that? When assessing the issue you are assessing the value of life at various stages. There are cases where the woman's life is at risk if she doesn't have an abortion, or 2 lives (the mother's and the child's) would be impacted negatively by the pregnancy. Attempting to completely ban abortion under these cases does give the fetus's life higher priority than that of the mother.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I watched this fascinating American Experience episode ( I'm sure you can watch it online) about how IVF was "invented". I guess the anti-choicers tried in vain to insert their moral authority in that realm without success. When, if you think about it, if you don't believe in a woman's right to choose an abortion, then they really shouldn't believe in a couple's right to make an embryo outside the womb, right??? Louise Brown will be 31 soon ...

Maybe if Dr. Tiller had worked with petri dishes instead because the anti-choice movement seems to have left that issue behind.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
How is that? When assessing the issue you are assessing the value of life at various stages. There are cases where the woman's life is at risk if she doesn't have an abortion, or 2 lives (the mother's and the child's) would be impacted negatively by the pregnancy. Attempting to completely ban abortion under these cases does give the fetus's life higher priority than that of the mother.
I - ME, had to make the decision if my wife lived - or died. I - ME, had to decide to abort our child and save the life of my wife or, keep my wife on life supports until our child could be born, and lose my wife.

I have been in this situation and it is the hardest, most gut wrenching thing I ever, ever did.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I - ME, had to make the decision if my wife lived - or died. I - ME, had to decide to abort our child and save the life of my wife or, keep my wife on life supports until our child could be born, and lose my wife.

I have been in this situation and it is the hardest, most gut wrenching thing I ever, ever did.
Of course it is a difficult decision, no one is arguing that. The issue is that you had the right to assess that value and make that decision, and that's what is being preserved by the pro-choice side of the argument.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Of course it is a difficult decision, no one is arguing that. The issue is that you had the right to assess that value and make that decision, and that's what is being preserved by the pro-choice side of the argument.
It's sad that the anti-choice movement thinks that pro-choice people automatically side on the side of abortion .... maybe that's a good place to try to change minds ...

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It's sad that the anti-choice movement thinks that pro-choice people automatically side on the side of abortion .... maybe that's a good place to try to change minds ...
I think the issue is both sides try to demonize eachother and it's a waste of time.

At the end of the day both sides are trying to protect fundamental rights:

1. Preservation of life.
2. Freedom of choice.

Neither of these is wrong or more valuable by any rule set, there is just a collision between these two values. There are also groups trying to push alternative agendas and it bloats the scope of the issue and leaves groups open to being demonized.

Let me put it this way:

Side A is for preserving the life of the fetus. Since one is not on this side and is on the pro-choice side of the argument they are not for this.

This is not true, but is the belief of people on side A.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Try debating that issue in a Kansas thread like I did. All I got was threatening comments and personal attacks I figured... time to close the thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:07 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:

Undoubtedly. I hope never to have to face such a choice, as I am sure all of us do.

However, at least you had a choice that you could make instead of a decision imposed upon you by someone else.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Nice shot, Scott!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies