Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do yoy stand on unions
Support unions in all industries 44 47.83%
Think unions have the time and place but should not be everywhere 20 21.74%
Do not support any union 25 27.17%
could care less 3 3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,178 times

Advertisements

I agree, where is my money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
Well I am assuming you have never worked in retail. In an office setting maybe it is. But in my experience...hard work is rewarded. Mediocre work is not. Every company I have worked for I have been a manager becasue I am probably the hardest working person there. But like I said before it is not hard to out shine a teenager who has poor work ethics or someone who is bitter becasue they didnt get a night off so they could go out drinking.

Most disgruntled employees are only disgruntled becasue they refuse to see it from the employers side. Everyone wants the company they work for to bend over backwards for them...this is idiotic...you would not have a job if it wasnt for them...so shut your trap...get to work.

I have managed everyone from pimple faced teens with poor attitudes to older men and women who know the quality of a hard days work. I have never had an issue with an employee when I was a manager and I continue to not have any issues as a business owner. Why? becasue I require the same thing from everyone even myself. Come to work, leave personal stuff at the door. I have always had a competitive attitude that if you make it fun, its easier. Every day I tell my employees to set a standard for how many sales to make, then ask them to beat it the next day. If you can keep a steady sales chart, I throw a $100 in your paycheck.

Now would it be fair for me to give this same reward to someone who does barely anything? Would it be fair for an associate who does barely anything to seek a union for representation just becasue they want the same thing as a hard working associate...hmmm...I think not and that employee would be terminated. To this day I have only had to fire two people. Becasue I have a zero tolerance rule for drama, and for people who stir things up. gossip...doesnt exist in my company. I tell my associates that if they see an employee that is being desruptive that they can coach the associate or they can tell me...either way it needs to be solved. If all my employees where being slackers and not doing their job...I'll fire the lot of em and hire new ones...I could care less if it makes you broke. You know what is expected of you, just becasue you decide that you should be paid more for doing less, isnt my problem. If I hear that an employee is talking to a union...Their gone!
Just because you do something doesn't mean most managers do it too. I have worked for lots and lots of managers. Some of them were pretty good at what they did. I am not suggesting that a manager needs to bend over backwards for employees or allow them to slack off, come in tardy 3 days a week or break rules. I have worked for managers that were firm but were FAIR too. If they expected you to "go the extra mile" for them, they did likewise for you. If they expected the best out of those that worked for them, they gave their best and, when things went south, they didn't hide in their office and throw their employees under the bus. But such managers are few and far between. Most of them just do what they have to do to get by, blame problems on everybody but themselves and blame employees when goals are not met instead of their own leadership- or lack thereof. That is why unions are needed. Unions protect employees from unfair treatment by ass managers. Unions make managers do their job. If the boss wants to fire, suspend or B form an employee, he has to make a case for doing so.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
This as well happens I am not saying it doesnt...but you then have the associate who thinks his standing at a cash register for 4 - 8 hours should be paid $12+ and hour...sorry but this is the easiest job possible...if you want to be paid more you need to work for it...and managers and CEO's do work for it in most cases...they solve the issues that most lower lever workers would not want to be faced with. Everyone wants a free ride...everyone...some just realize that you have to work for everything and nothing is handed to you...Hard work should be rewarded and laziness should be punished...medioracy shouldnt exist...there is no gray areas when it comes to lazyness and hardwork.

You have to be kidding me! Managers CAUSE more issues than they solve. Like my company- they NEVER have once asked the EMPLOYEES like me who work there everyday and see the waste and inefficiency generated by stupid management and work procedures- "what can we do to increase productivity and save money?". Not once. Because if they did, I could save them a million a year right now.
But they will hire "efficiency experts" to come in and shadow us all day with a stopwatch to try to figure it out when we will give them the same info for FREE.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I do, all the time. Wal*Mart rocks!
There are things about Wal*Mart I like. I shop there. And they have saved my ass a few times (where else can you buy a car battery at 11:30 PM when yours just bit the dust?). But I do not buy groceries there except milk and soda. Help in the store is non existing, nobody knows where anything is and they have such a huge rate of employee churn- at least at the one by me- that I think the most senior employee there is probably a year at best. Contrast that with Kroger. The same 2 ladies at the deli counter for years and years. They know my wife and know what she wants even before she gets to the counter. I don't mind paying a few cents more for that level of care.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
[quote=GregW;9115753]You complain of freeloading lazy employees. Have you ever looked at managment?quote]

Boy, isn't that the damn truth?!?! I work a government union job, and not only is it heavy in layers of management, but a lot of THEM are a huge waste in tax-payers money.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 PM

[quote=Bluesbabe;9160093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You complain of freeloading lazy employees. Have you ever looked at managment?quote]

Boy, isn't that the damn truth?!?! I work a government union job, and not only is it heavy in layers of management, but a lot of THEM are a huge waste in tax-payers money.
There is a lots of waste there but it is getting better on the customer service side at least. Here they started a new thing- the drivers license offices used to be M-F from 9 to 5 meannng if you wanted to do business there, you took off work. Now they changed to Tues-Friday from 9 to 7PM. That is one less day employees have to work, one less day the state has to pay to air cond and light buildings and MORE time for us to use the place.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You have to be kidding me! Managers CAUSE more issues than they solve. Like my company- they NEVER have once asked the EMPLOYEES like me who work there everyday and see the waste and inefficiency generated by stupid management and work procedures- "what can we do to increase productivity and save money?". Not once. Because if they did, I could save them a million a year right now.
But they will hire "efficiency experts" to come in and shadow us all day with a stopwatch to try to figure it out when we will give them the same info for FREE.
Well I dont know what retail or grocery store you work for but I am sure that if you offered a suggestion to a manager a good manager then you would be heard.

are you telling me that all low level workers are honest hard working people who dont want a union to protect them for being lazy. I think that managers should judge employees based on the performance of the hardest working people...no not all employees will be able to keep up but they should have to try...otherwise there is nothing stopping someone who has worked for the company 20+ years and is due for retirement soon from slaking off when there is a union involved...Business's should be allowed to run their business in accordance to the law and without an outside company(union) tell them what to do. And if you dont think unions are companies...think again they report revenue and file taxes like any business. They are in the business to make money just like the business they are dragging to the ground by forcing them to keep on lazy, poor attitude workers. If you want to be lazy...find a job that allows you to slack off or that is so easy that your slacking off doesnt show because everyone is the same.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 AM

I just want to clear this up...This thread is about unions in retail, grocery, and restaurants. Everything else needs to stay off of this...these are the only places I dont think that unions should be.

Also, I know that unions will be here no matter what. But I think that you should not be forced to join the union to work for a company...it should be a choice made by each employee...I think that would be fair. Allow workers to opt out of the union and keep their jobs. These workers will then go on the companies non-union merit scale. Thus giving hard working associate a fair chance over seniority. But dont just make it a one time choice allow the employees to opt out or in once at any time of their employment. Does that not seem fair? does this not allow everyone to be happy except the union who actually wants control of the company? I feel that this would both satisfy managers and employees.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Also, I know that unions will be here no matter what. But I think that you should not be forced to join the union to work for a company...it should be a choice made by each employee...I think that would be fair. Allow workers to opt out of the union and keep their jobs. These workers will then go on the companies non-union merit scale. Thus giving hard working associate a fair chance over seniority. But don't just make it a one time choice allow the employees to opt out or in once at any time of their employment. Does that not seem fair? does this not allow everyone to be happy except the union who actually wants control of the company? I feel that this would both satisfy managers and employees.
I live in a right to work state - you cannot be forced into union membership in order to get employment.

Currently we have a Union trying to get into unionizing a particular Grocery Store - a Family Store - been around for some 60 plus years. The store have a very low turn over of employees - they pay above average wages etc. So, the Union has made very little headway.

Recently, the Union started to make claims about practices at this particular store that the union claimed could hurt the health of its customers and the workers. The only problem is, their claims were totally BOGUS - and were proven BOGUS by outside, independent entities. But, the claims did hurt the companies business -

The company went on the "attack" though - and has shown to the public, and the companies workers, that the Union will do anything to get their foot in the door - even LYING about things. And now, the Union is being sued by this company for slander.

Unions are a waste IMO. Situations like I described are not uncommon. Several years ago there was a strike against some food stores in Southern California - went on for a long time. And when it was settled - the Unions actually lost benefits for their members - BUT, the Union local President was driving a brand new Mercedes!

Unions: They are bad for the workers. They are bad for America.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I live in a right to work state - you cannot be forced into union membership in order to get employment.

Currently we have a Union trying to get into unionizing a particular Grocery Store - a Family Store - been around for some 60 plus years. The store have a very low turn over of employees - they pay above average wages etc. So, the Union has made very little headway.

Recently, the Union started to make claims about practices at this particular store that the union claimed could hurt the health of its customers and the workers. The only problem is, their claims were totally BOGUS - and were proven BOGUS by outside, independent entities. But, the claims did hurt the companies business -

The company went on the "attack" though - and has shown to the public, and the companies workers, that the Union will do anything to get their foot in the door - even LYING about things. And now, the Union is being sued by this company for slander.

Unions are a waste IMO. Situations like I described are not uncommon. Several years ago there was a strike against some food stores in Southern California - went on for a long time. And when it was settled - the Unions actually lost benefits for their members - BUT, the Union local President was driving a brand new Mercedes!

Unions: They are bad for the workers. They are bad for America.
I agree...but we both know that until business's stand together on this matter that it will never change...I dont get how the government has the right to allow an outside party(union) to control how a business does things. Why is it that a company cant state this is a non union business and never will be and leave it at that...if they employees dont like it then leave...if you are being treated unfair then prove it and make you case where it belongs...in court not by disrupting the business by striking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies