Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
How has residential real estate faired down that way?
Lots of restaurants closing, mostly the expensive ones. North Hills, one of the upper echelon walking malls (beautiful as it is) had several closings. Some overpriced French place took over a failed business. Don't expect it to last long. Carolina Ale House (local chain) is experiencing far less business. A downtown high rise project is cancelled and no one knows what'll happen to it. St. Lawrence Homes is BK. NC State has to reduce their budget by 18%. Not sure about UNC/Duke. Wake County public schools have a hiring freeze. IBM and Nortel laid off thousands from Research Triangle Park.

Even with all of that...so far, so good. I just believe it's more the eye of the storm. People still feel good about living here. My humble opinion is that it won't last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
I've noticed an increase in RV's, boats, and motorcycles on the market. I'm no economist, but the way I see it, if a family had the means to afford recreational vehicles before and now all of a sudden need cash flow, that means that the current recession is reaching deeper than recessions of past. When folks that generally have disposable income to buy toys are feeling a pinch, that means the core of our country's economy may be at a very critical juncture.

Just because people have boats, motorcycles, and other recreational vehicles doesnt mean they have or had money. I know lots of people that own those things that have no business owning them. I know people that live paycheck to paycheck and are scrounging for change come payday that own boats and motorcycles.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:29 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No, I have several boyfriends.
You go girl!

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Just because people have boats, motorcycles, and other recreational vehicles doesnt mean they have or had money. I know lots of people that own those things that have no business owning them. I know people that live paycheck to paycheck and are scrounging for change come payday that own boats and motorcycles.

YouTube - Pay Your Carnote! The Repo Man Strikes Again

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I live in Kansas City and I really havent seen much effect. The only thing that has really impacted me is that my company cut raises this year, other than that, everything is as normal. I know a couple of people out of work but other than that everyone I know is still employed like they were before and doing everything they normally do.

The OG said that the media is making it seem better than it really is. I say the media is making things worse than they really are.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

Anyhow, my prediction is that we are only looking at the beginnings of a different way of life in the U.S because economically Corp U.S is dying and places like China and Dubi are now taking over. As a matter of fact, Dubi now has the worlds tallest building along with the modern city architecture projects and China/Russia wants talks to suggest a new world curency.

A friend of mine got offered a dolphin training gig at a hotel in Dubai and now she's KICKING herself for turning it down... Dubai is insane... they're building amusements parks, giant hotels, manmade islands etc etc.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
A friend of mine got offered a dolphin training gig at a hotel in Dubai and now she's KICKING herself for turning it down... Dubai is insane... they're building amusements parks, giant hotels, manmade islands etc etc.
lol, it's not too late they are just beginning! I was looking online at this huge hotel/resort in the middle of the ocean over there in the Dubi area and there was a listing of new jobs that needed to be filled.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post

That's just disgusting. A big dude like that throwing a women to the ground over a replicable car.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Dubai is in trouble now though. Not hitting the big MSM sites but news is there about it.

Dubai takes an economic nosedive < Financial crisis leaves euro with new popularity | Expatica The Netherlands

Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
lol, it's not too late they are just beginning! I was looking online at this huge hotel/resort in the middle of the ocean over there in the Dubi area and there was a listing of new jobs that needed to be filled.
My wife is an RN. Do you know what they are offering for that position? How about $250K for a six month assignment. We thought about it for a few hours but couldnt bring ourselves to live that far from family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies