U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM

16,797 posts, read 29,000,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
If UPS or FedEx actually wanted to compete with USPS, they'd be talking about how they wanted to take on bulk-rate, library, and non-profit mail as well as first-class. That's what USPS provides, you know. Broad-based mail service under a pricing structure that maximizes service, not profit. Private sector worshippers would like to cherry-pick. They're too lazy to pick any but the low-hanging fruit. The rest is just left to rot on the tree.
USPS-FedEx Agreement Delivers First-Class Service

The USPS has been using FedEx to move the mail from Point A to Point B for a few years now. Strange bedfellows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,111,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I am confused why the post office is in the OP. For 44 cents they take a letter from my house in Atlanta to my brother in San Francisco in two days. That is excellent value.

Let's not forget it was the private sector left to its own devices that caused the market meltdown and the credit crisis.
Correction ... It was the government's meddling into the private sector that ultimately lead to our current crisis.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Can't tell the difference between paying your fair share and extortion either, eh? You're just not having a good day.
And who makes the determination of what constitutes our "fair share"?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If the government had done a little more messing with the mechanisms of the free market between 2001 and 2008, we wouldn't have ended up in the sad shape we're in today. Now that the big bad free market has run us right off the rails, it just throws up its hands. Who does that leave to pick up the pieces?
By mandating that lending agencies relax their lending criteria to accommodate those who are low income or have bad credit, the government created the environment that ultimately led to our present economical crisis.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Welcome to NC!
and GoBLUE!! RR better not mess up another season for me..lol...

Back on topic...lot's of folks say the Government messes everything up without giving credence to the many things it does well...rarely do you see any of them turning in their soc number and opting out of the Government's benefit package.
Do we even HAVE that option???

Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 PM

31,007 posts, read 19,495,190 times
Government has provided police protection, public health, emergency response systems, water and sewage, public transportation, education, social security, medicare,FDA, roads and highways, national and state parks, etc.............

You want to pay for all of this out-of-pocket to a private company? I guarantee you will pay way more than taxes!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's with the hostility? I do it for security purposes. Though I have mentioned the name of the state where I live (Colorado) frequently.

Maybe I've learned a few things in my 60 years.

And here's a good story for you. My daughter has had her camera in the shop since some time in April. She is leaving on a trip tomorrow morning. The camera had to be sent out of Denver, and she paid extra to have it sent via UPS to arrive in Denver today, and guess what? It will not arrive at the camera shop until tomorrow morning, after her plane has left. The same thing happened when my DH had some money sent via Fed Ex. It was supposed to arrive in time for us to put it in the bank one day, it arrived after business hours that day. Again, we paid extra to get it there in time to put it in the bank. So much for the highly vaunted "private enterprise".
And how about the two weeks I spent trying to get a package redelivered to my home ... The number they gave on the notice listed the local Post Office number which turned out to be nothing more than a voice mail directing me to the 800 number. I've called that number multiple times over a two week period and they finally got someone to call me from the local post office. The rep left me a voice mail stating that they could not locate the package and left me a number to contact him. I tried calling the rep at the number he provided but was directed to a voicemail that was full so leaving a message was not an option. At this point, I was ready to just give up on ever getting that package but fortunately, the rep caught me this past Saturday. After telling me that they were not able to locate the package, he placed me on hold to check one more location and promptly found my package sitting in a corner of the office. All this aggravation over a package that cost me less than 10 dollars. Things that make you go Arrrggghhh!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
And I could trade horror stories about the USPS.
Not the point.
Do you honestly believe a monopoly (in this case the USPS) is in the best interest of the consumer?
Competition is what drives excellence.
So simple.
Exactly! Monopolies are rarely a good thing. Think about the quality of phone service we have since the phone industry got deregulated and the Bell monopoly was broken up. If I'm not happy with my current carrier, I can always switch to another company and they know it which is why the costs have came down.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:

It isn't intended to earn a profit. It's intended to provide broad-based mail services while breaking just about even over the long haul. You want them to earn a profit? Jack the first-class rate up to 55 cents. Heck, make it 60 cents. Mission accomplished. That's what a private sector entity would do.
We are getting closer to the 55 cent mark on postage ...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Icon of laissez-faire free-market capitalism charged

The Securities and Exchange Commission yesterday charged former Countrywide chief Angelo R. Mozilo, who ran the nation's largest subprime mortgage lender, with fraud, making him the most prominent executive accused of illegality in connection with the financial crisis.

Mozilo was one of the masters of the housing boom, steering Countrywide as it moved into new, perilous markets in pursuit of profit, making risky loans to borrowers with checkered credit histories or without proof of income or employment. By the first half of 2007, the company funded about one of every five home loans, and mortgage industry observers say its reach in the Washington region was deep.

As Countrywide made loans, then bundle and sell them to Wall Street, the firm helped saddle the books of banks and other firms with ill-fated mortgage investments, sowing the seeds of today's crisis.

And right-wingers complain about DMV and the Post Office. Hello???
And why did they extend those risky loans to those with checkered credit histories? Could it have something to do with government mandates to extend credit to low income and those with bad credit histories ...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies