Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times

Advertisements

Seriously folks, is this all really a surprise? Do we not all know that MSNBC promotes a contemporary leftist view? Do we not all know that Fox promotes a contemporary rightist view?

Do people believe that there was ever a time in American history that some form of media bias didn't exist?

Here is an interesting google book with a special note on media bias prior to the 1800's and as far back as Jefferson and Washington... oh my.
Political communication: politics ... - Google Book Search

Question: Is there a problem with a media outlet having a given political bias when other outlets offer an alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I'm sure the fact that MSNBC and NBC are owned by GE has NOTHING to do with it .

GE is heavily invested in the current admin, they received bailout money, they are banking on the passage of Cap & Trade and windmills for big profits, and the GE connection list goes on and on.
GE is also heavily invested in the tools of war and the promulgation of an expansionist foreign policy and geopolitical destabilization. Hence not truly a traditional liberal position but certainly a contemporary leftist one.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Question: Is there a problem with a media outlet having a given political bias when other outlets offer an alternative?
Don't think anyone is surprised by the slant of Fox/ MSNBC, etc ESPECIALLY when one is referring to O'Reilly, etc. - they are commentators.

The sad thing is when people think they are getting the news from those who claim to be reporters. I'd love to see a poll, but I'd bet that the majority of people who watch the news on the major networks think they are getting "just the facts" news and think they are getting the news of which they should be made aware. It's sad that they are only getting the news which leads them to believe a certain way.

Take Global Warming vs Cap & Trade for instance.
Lots of shows on the news about GW. But 76% of voters have no idea what Cap & Trade is -- so sad, since it will affect every citizen in the US. Agree or disagree with it, the people should be informed.

Yea, I think there is a problem with that.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Amazing that on a political board, so very little is known about current events which make politics!

Anyone here watch the network on a regular basis the past 5 years??

Old 06-03-2009, 05:34 PM

454 posts, read 795,760 times
I don't know that anyone ever respected msnbc as a news organization, dating back to it's inception. I think what he meant to say was, "We noticed FOX news was taking in the dough, and then we looked over to the left and there was a trail of money, so we just kept following it until we hit a *really* big pile of over leftwards."

Old 06-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Don't think anyone is surprised by the slant of Fox/ MSNBC, etc ESPECIALLY when one is referring to O'Reilly, etc. - they are commentators.

The sad thing is when people think they are getting the news from those who claim to be reporters. I'd love to see a poll, but I'd bet that the majority of people who watch the news on the major networks think they are getting "just the facts" news and think they are getting the news of which they should be made aware. It's sad that they are only getting the news which leads them to believe a certain way.

Take Global Warming vs Cap & Trade for instance.
Lots of shows on the news about GW. But 76% of voters have no idea what Cap & Trade is -- so sad, since it will affect every citizen in the US. Agree or disagree with it, the people should be informed.

Yea, I think there is a problem with that.
Well I see two issues here, one being the growing lack of critical reasoning by the American public in general and the other being profit driven information services.

Give me control of one of the big three cable media outlets and I could have at least a small percentage of the American public drinking their own urine in the belief that it will restore a loss of hair or stimulate a diminishing libido within a month. So if I were to do such a thing, it comes down to who is at fault, the fool or the fool who follows them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Amazing that on a political board, so very little is known about current events which make politics!

Anyone here watch the network on a regular basis the past 5 years??
Well keep in mind, we have all levels of age, experience and understanding on these public forums, so lets not forget.

I'm curious if you have ever been privy to watching Link Tv, which while having a liberal view also provides a great deal more substantive content? Outside of that, I think it should be noted that many Americans do not yet own a computer, let alone have access and understanding to internet provided information. Thus their only source of news related information is derived from TV, cable or otherwise.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
I don't know that anyone ever respected msnbc as a news organization, dating back to it's inception. I think what he meant to say was, "We noticed FOX news was taking in the dough, and then we looked over to the left and there was a trail of money, so we just kept following it until we hit a *really* big pile of over leftwards."
You do not understand US media.

What was the lesson of Akres V Fox News?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I see two issues here, one being the growing lack of critical reasoning by the American public in general and the other being profit driven information services.

Give me control of one of the big three cable media outlets and I could have at least a small percentage of the American public drinking their own urine in the belief that it will restore a loss of hair or stimulate a diminishing libido within a month. So if I were to do such a thing, it comes down to who is at fault, the fool or the fool who follows them?

Well keep in mind, we have all levels of age, experience and understanding on these public forums, so lets not forget.

I'm curious if you have ever been privy to watching Link Tv, which while having a liberal view also provides a great deal more substantive content? Outside of that, I think it should be noted that many Americans do not yet own a computer, let alone have access and understanding to internet provided information. Thus their only source of news related information is derived from TV, cable or otherwise.
Better yet, I have access to Freespeech TV.

But, as the US market is heavily censored- a capitalistic Pravda/Tass- if you will, my main sources are foreign language sources, and the excellent C-Span, of course. (Not censored as it is not viewed as "news", although it is an excellent source for same.)

So what is your viewing experience with MSNBC?

How has it evolved since 2003?

And why?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:06 PM

454 posts, read 795,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
You do not understand US media.

What was the lesson of Akres V Fox News?

Well, since you're a fan of bluntness, the first lesson is that it's Akres v. Fox News. If you are possibly arguing that only FOX and its affliates tilt the news toward corporate sponsors, then I'd say you need to get out a bit more.

My third and final comment is that I only participate in Socratic exchanges with folks of proven credentials. Some anonymous personality on the Neenernet? Nope. You get to argue/present your point of view, not endlesly question mine.

Hth. Hand

Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
Well, since you're a fan of bluntness, the first lesson is that it's Akres v. Fox News. If you are possibly arguing that only FOX and its affliates tilt the news toward corporate sponsors, then I'd say you need to get out a bit more.

My third and final comment is that I only participate in Socratic exchanges with folks of proven credentials. Some anonymous personality on the Neenernet? Nope. You get to argue/present your point of view, not endlesly question mine.

Hth. Hand

I do not question it, I say your viewpoint (at least on this issue) is utterly baseless when juxtaposed against the facts:

Monsanto and Fox: Partners in Censorship--Sheldon Rampton & John Stauber

"The Florida dispute offers a rare look inside the newsroom at the way stories get spun and censored. It is also cracks the facade that Monsanto has erected through a highly effective, multi-million-dollar PR offensive aimed at preventing the news media from reporting the views of rBGH critics."

My point was (and is) NOT against Fox, which by now everyone knows is just a PR front for the GOP.

My point was (and is) that ALL major US media (print, radio, and TV- including MSNBC) filed amicus curae briefs with the appeals court (Akres having won at the trial court level) in support of Fox's contention that the FCC's Rule against reporting info CLEARLY opposed to facts was just a "suggestion", and not a Rule at all- although it had been on the books for decades.

Last edited by Geechie North; 06-03-2009 at 06:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies