Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

FOX News is good at one thing: Presenting opinion packaged as news.

In this they excel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Those of us with eyes and ears have known MSNBC was a pack of liberals, who were no longer interested in presenting the news in an unbiased manner, we knew everything slanted left, and they were unashamed about it. Not just their political commentators, but the entire network is left.

MSNBC President 'Explains' Why His Network Went Hard Left | NewsBusters.org

Here are a few quotes:

"But it was more organic than a conscious strategy to go left," Griffin concludes. "A vision of smart progressives just began to emerge ..."

"We have no daily talking points; we also have [the more conservative-oriented] 'Morning Joe' program -- so it's clear we have no political 'line,' if you will -- but sure, we now have a progressive flow."

A morning show? Really? A morning show is more of a morning entertainment show, not hard news, but this means they are not biased?
The conflict with NBC is perpetuated by Bill O'Reilly, a man who is nothing more than a loud, pompous, inexperienced charlatan who somehow has an audience that responds to his on air rantings and ravings with Palov like predictability, much of it illustrated here (usually illustrated by a profound lack of hard knowledge).

However, the seriousness (and deadly nature) of his powers of persuasion on the mentally deficient was on display in Wichita, Kansas recently, maybe you heard about it

Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The conflict with NBC is perpetuated by Bill O'Reilly, a man who is nothing more than a loud, pompous, inexperienced charlatan who somehow has an audience that responds to his on air rantings and ravings with Palov like predictability, much of it illustrated here (usually illustrated by a profound lack of hard knowledge).

However, the seriousness (and deadly nature) of his powers of persuasion on the mentally deficient was on display in Wichita, Kansas recently, maybe you heard about it
Yes his influence is so great that Mccain won North Carolina, Virginia and Florida ... Oh wait.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yes his influence is so great that Mccain won North Carolina, Virginia and Florida ... Oh wait.

No, it was Bush/Rove that cheated on the elections, not McCain/Palin. By the time that dynamic duo took the wheel, the bus had crashed, the ship was going down, and no amount of political chicanery on the part of Rove was going to change anything, Republicans were (and remain) toast

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Those of us with eyes and ears have known MSNBC was a pack of liberals, who were no longer interested in presenting the news in an unbiased manner, we knew everything slanted left, and they were unashamed about it. Not just their political commentators, but the entire network is left.

MSNBC President 'Explains' Why His Network Went Hard Left | NewsBusters.org

Here are a few quotes:

"But it was more organic than a conscious strategy to go left," Griffin concludes. "A vision of smart progressives just began to emerge ..."

"We have no daily talking points; we also have [the more conservative-oriented] 'Morning Joe' program -- so it's clear we have no political 'line,' if you will -- but sure, we now have a progressive flow."

A morning show? Really? A morning show is more of a morning entertainment show, not hard news, but this means they are not biased?
I think he says that they are biased to the left... just like Roger Ailes will tell you that they are biased to the right... next question.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:14 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Why are we using the OP's goofy source??

Here's a real one:

The New York Times > Log In

"Having a prime-time lineup that tilts ever more demonstrably to the left could be risky for General Electric, MSNBC’s parent company, which is subject to legislation and regulation far afield of the cable landscape. Officials at MSNBC emphasize that they never set out to create a liberal version of Fox News.
“It happened naturally,” Phil Griffin, a senior vice president of NBC News who is the executive in charge of MSNBC, said Friday, referring specifically to the channel’s passion and point of view from 7 to 10 p.m. “There isn’t a dogma we’re putting through. There is a ‘Go for it.’”

Fox News consistently denies any political bias in its programming. But whether by design or not, MSNBC is managing to add viewers at a moment when its hosts echo the country’s disaffection with President Bush."

Ratings, folks: it's about ratings.

That's because they're capitalists, and sometimes, capitalism does work- if only by sheer chance.
They found a niche audience by doing something nobody else does:

They tell the truth, or at least a limited version of it.

That's the alpha and omega of it.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
So, which foreign sources do you use in that "diverse set"?

I ask because once you clear US airspace, they break it down as "The US Media", and the opposite, "The Objective Media."
What the hell matter does it make what the sources are if one uses a variety of sources to come to a conclusion?

Are you suggesting that there is some certainly specific news sources that must first be filtered or approved by you in order to constitute tangible news?

Look, if Fox or MSNBC says a plane crashed in NY city, then I believe it. If that same report says that some left/right wing militant was responsible for it crashing, then I might take issue. I don't give a damn who said what, as if it has plausible merit and evidence to support any given conclusion, then it should be taken into consideration. This means that even totally unrepeatable sources of information are capable of providing credible information, even if it isn't their standard bearer.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
You know I use to be like you and watched cnn and even watched Joe on msnbc in the am.

So then I said yeah know let me check Fox out I say they are this and that but never really watched them. Come to find out they are balanced. If they have a republican on they have a democrat on to counter it. I have even seen times where its 2 democrats against 1 republican.

Fox uses a lot of the split screens for that purpose.

I remember a time I was waiting on my husband at the barbershop and this guy that was going on about voting for Obama then brings up the women that cut the b in her face. Well he tells the guy cutting his hair you know that women did that to herself and Fox only reported it one time that she did that to herself. I had to call him out on it because I had gotten sick of hearing Fox report that she did that to herself

bottom line I think folks that keep referring to them as faux news doesnt have a clue and never really watches them to know
Actually, I watch Fox News quite a bit and simply having guests on does not make them balanced.

It lies in the stories they cover, the questions they ask, the unsolicited commentary from people at the anchor desk whose job is supposed to be focused on reporting the news.

Fox is a joke if you're looking for balanced news. Seriously. I'm not a liberal, but it's a joke the way they slant stories, only cover negative stories on Obama. Perhaps the worst offender is that angry little man on the morning show, but I guess he's free to spout his opinion because it's designed to be entertainment.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 PM

It's more than a little sad that MSNBC is the standard for "hard left" in this country, does the "hard left" present stories like this one?

Morning Joe journos can't name a successful unionized company, even though one signs their paychecks | Media Matters for America

This crap pops up on MSNBC everyday. On FOX it dominates their every storyline, they are big business, pro war, anti environment and cater to the wealthy in their every business report, to say nothing of spending the past 8 years exaggerating every threat this country faces in the world.

How many times has FOX been critical of Israel? How many times have they shrieked of the threats that Israel has faced?

Sadly, there are people who still think of FOX as a legitimate news organization and the media as being "liberal", no doubt told to them by propagandists that saturate the airwaves and television

Dumbing down of America on every channel

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Ratings, folks: it's about ratings.

That's because they're capitalists, and sometimes, capitalism does work- if only by sheer chance.
They found a niche audience by doing something nobody else does:

They tell the truth, or at least a limited version of it.

That's the alpha and omega of it.
More and more Americans sick of being lied to = MSNBC ratings going up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies