U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 03:27 PM

39,995 posts, read 24,253,880 times

Advertisements

JD Salinger attorneys are attempting to "freeze" publication of a sequel to the famous Catcher in the Rye book.

What's interesting about this case is that while the courts have ruled in favor of parodies and other adaptations of books, this case rests on Salinger's rights to the character, Holden Caulfield, which he created. Since the "sequel" isn't a parody or adaptation, the storyline is independent of the work it claims to continue. If the storyline is independent, then the use of the character seems purely exploitive. Did this new writer add anything to the character or story, or simply use the character's name in an effort to sell more books?

Lawsuit targets 'rip-off' of 'Catcher in the Rye' - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 03:33 PM

3,288 posts, read 3,966,804 times
I dunno, is the storyline really independent? It's Holden Caulfield as an old man, it seems like the property in that case would still require his permission in order for it to be written.

I mean, the story is independent but he's kind of riding on the wave of past work. I dunno, seems like a muddy Inellectual Property case.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM

39,995 posts, read 24,253,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I dunno, is the storyline really independent? It's Holden Caulfield as an old man, it seems like the property in that case would still require his permission in order for it to be written.

I mean, the story is independent but he's kind of riding on the wave of past work. I dunno, seems like a muddy Inellectual Property case.
I think Salinger's case is bolstered by the fact that he's never sold rights to the book. He's maintained the integrity of his Intellectual Property over the years.

I really think that this new author has to prove that the use of the Holden Caulfield character is key to his storyline, and not just a marketing tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies