U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 128,345 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

So, let's say then, theoretically, that they were to one day discover the specific genetic cause of homosexuality. Let's say, further, that they were able to find a way to alter it before birth(or even during the individuals lifetime) so as to prevent the expression of any homosexual traits.

Would people here support or oppose that? The debate always tends to be about whether or not it is a choice. I believe it is something individuals are born with, but what would people think if suddenly technology made it a decision of some sort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Animals eat their own and others feces also, what is your point? Why homosexuals believe that comparing themselves to animals helps their case is beyond me!
Actually, I don't think the post was meant for the incorrigibly anti-gay. It was meant for the crowd that doesn't bring up feces as part of their response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
So, let's say then, theoretically, that they were to one day discover the specific genetic cause of homosexuality. Let's say, further, that they were able to find a way to alter it before birth(or even during the individuals lifetime) so as to prevent the expression of any homosexual traits.

Would people here support or oppose that? The debate always tends to be about whether or not it is a choice. I believe it is something individuals are born with, but what would people think if suddenly technology made it a decision of some sort?
I think that would be a great new thread for you to start. I've brought it up before. It's an interesting discussion to have. I also like it because it pushes the conversation past this silliness about whether or not people choose their sexual orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 AM
 
17,853 posts, read 12,183,555 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaw45 View Post
So, let's say then, theoretically, that they were to one day discover the specific genetic cause of homosexuality. Let's say, further, that they were able to find a way to alter it before birth(or even during the individuals lifetime) so as to prevent the expression of any homosexual traits.

Would people here support or oppose that? The debate always tends to be about whether or not it is a choice. I believe it is something individuals are born with, but what would people think if suddenly technology made it a decision of some sort?
And what if those genes for homosexual traits were linked to other genes for traits that were vital in heterosexuals - like left brain/right brain communication or the ability to think rationally or whatever?

It's an interesting question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,456 posts, read 12,692,240 times
Reputation: 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Animals eat their own and others feces also, what is your point? Why homosexuals believe that comparing themselves to animals helps their case is beyond me!
Yes, but animals also have many behaviors that are similar to humans. Just because you may define something as "unnatural" does not mean that it is. It simply means you have categorized it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY for now. Hanover, New Hampshire come the fall.
99 posts, read 128,345 times
Reputation: 64
I posted a thread on my question here for anyone who is interested.

What if we discovered a genetic cause for homosexuality and gained the ability to alter it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM
 
26,182 posts, read 18,890,991 times
Reputation: 14038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
There is astounding evidence homosexuality is a natural phenomena in nature. It gives nature the option of a population control mechanism and a natural culling process.

They have actually turned on and off the 'genderblind' gene in fruit flies altering their sexuality

http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...fly-genes.html
i don't disagree that homosexuality is most likely natural, but this 'culling phenomena' really makes no sense.

what could possibly be the trigger to turn such a culling mechanism on and off in response to overpopulation, and what would be the point of expending so much metabolic energy to produce offspring with no chance of reproducing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Denver
965 posts, read 862,764 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by gghhgg View Post
hahaha we are humans we have brains animals don;t
It's been awhile since I took biology, but I seem to remember learning that many animals do in fact have brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM
 
184 posts, read 107,065 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
It's been awhile since I took biology, but I seem to remember learning that many animals do in fact have brains.
but their brains are too small so they only use spinal cord for motor functions.if human only used spina cord we ould be animals to because we would rely on instincts rather than on brain.why do you think that spinal cord is connected to brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top