U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Thought it was he said we weren't a Christian nation.

Did he also say we arent a muslim nation?
No, it was a miskey which I corrected..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,962,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
In our country, taking a bullet is not required to further the cause. Publicity is the weapon most often used. I am only about 33% white, while the rest of my heritage comes from two Indian tribes. Also a minority I might add. And like you, I haven't seen anyone take a bullet for me either. And I wouldn't expect them too. I fight my own battles. And none of this changes the truth of my statement.

So, you've been to a protest lately?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,486,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
What's wrong with a protest. The left does it all of the time, or did when "Dubya" was in office, and in many cases rightfully so.

Now, it's politically incorrect to protest because President Obama is in office?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM

3,375 posts, read 2,994,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Yup, the majority is so demonized and oppressed.
Ok, first of all no one said anything about "oppression" That was your own addition and quite misplaced I might add. But the majority in this country, be it racial, political, religious,etc, are demonized on a regular basis. Meanwhile, we give and give to those "less fortunate" than ourselves.

For example, the majority of American citizens are calling for the deportation of the illegal immigrants in this country. But to hear the news talk about it, we all want them to stay and get extra money for education as well. See, in this situation we have the minority, "the illegals", overruling the majority, "the citizens", and getting all the free sympathy press they could ask for. Meanwhile, we hear nothing from the opposing side except for a ten second snip in the news every once in a while.

So just as I said, we fight for the minorities while we demonize and ignore the majority. It doesn't have to be about race. It could simply be about issues such as the one I just mentioned. My statement is simply a fact based on everyday observation. And it is absolutely true. Just watch the news or read your local paper. Or better yet, offer evidence to the contrary.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Who's demonizing the majority? If it's only minorities, then the majority doesn't have much to worry about.
You would be right if the media were not whole heartedly behind anything to do with a minority. With the media on your side, you don't need large numbers to paint the picture the way you want it.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
What's wrong with a protest. The left does it all of the time, or did when "Dubya" was in office, and in many cases rightfully so.

Now, it's politically incorrect to protest because President Obama is in office?
Huh? I've just asked a hypothetical question.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,007,059 times
Quote:

For example, the majority of American citizens are calling for the deportation of the illegal immigrants in this country.
That's funny, Gallop reports just the opposite. And while this poll is admittedly 3 years old I doubt that things have change that much over time.

Majority of Americans Prefer Path to Citizenship for Illegal Immigrants

Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You would be right if the media were not whole heartedly behind anything to do with a minority. With the media on your side, you don't need large numbers to paint the picture the way you want it.
Though, things have remain relativly status quo. The rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer.

26,529 posts, read 24,949,987 times
Quote:
If the majority has everything they need, why are they worried? Is it that they see their privileges for being in the majority are disappearing and they feel threatened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Actually, I protest daily right here on this forum my friend. Every stroke on this keyboard helps get my views out there for anyone who cares to read them. As for protest, I have not attended one in atleast two years. But I was a part of a relatively small gathering in Raleigh, N.C. in late 2006. And you know what, there was no coverage on the news for that gathering. But if we had been 3 college kids chanting for "immigrant rights" it would have been on every station. Yet another example of our "free media" But I tell you, I will protest and I will speak to as many as I can on the computer and out there in the real world. Protest is an expression of freedom. One which I hold dear and wouldn't trade for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies