U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,177,531 times

Advertisements

I don't think Obama is going to have much success unless he sells out the US, Israel, and all the Western Democracies to appease the Muslim countries of the Middle East.

I am not saying he won't just hoping he does not.

Don't lecture us: Arabs tell Obama

CAIRO (AFP) – "Obama is just a prettier face. I'm sure his intentions are in the right place but I don't expect much from the man," a Cairo electrician said on Wednesday as US President Barack Obama began his much-anticipated Middle East trip.

And on a more practical note.

"What's he going to do for us? Lower the price of bread? If he does, then he's welcome here," said 38-year-old cafe worker Ahmed Abdel Salam.

Don't lecture us: Arabs tell Obama - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090603/wl_mideast_afp/usmideastdiplomacyarab_20090603200137 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:53 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,961,082 times
Well, it is a start. Who knows, we might be liked by somebody for once in a while.

I would rather fail at extending an olive branch, than continue on a path that will no doubt, **** off 1.5 billion people.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM

5,165 posts, read 5,307,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Well, it is a start. Who knows, we might be liked by somebody for once in a while.

I would rather fail at extending an olive branch, than continue on a path that will no doubt, **** off 1.5 billion people.
Yeah Olive branch. How do those innocent afghanis feel about this Olive Branch Obama is pretending to extend?

AP source: US broke bombing rules in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_us_afghanistan - broken link)

Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 PM

746 posts, read 845,270 times
Barry is going to seal his own fate if he continues his hate rant and apologizing talk.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM

5,165 posts, read 5,307,900 times
Quote:

There is no olive branch that any mid east country will accept. Unless it involves the United States leaving the middle east all together.
So quit buying the Obama rhetoric that somehow he is going to bring peace to a region that has been in battles for 1000 years.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,653,538 times
Quote:

Old 06-03-2009, 07:59 PM

21,349 posts, read 14,258,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
Barry is going to seal his own fate if he continues his hate rant and apologizing talk.

Hate rant and apologizing talk.

How does that work, does he first preach hate and then apologize, or apologize first, and then get his hate on?

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM

6,381 posts, read 12,236,933 times
The stage is set, we are on the wind down. Obama has no clue on how to be and effective President and is selling his soul (Ours as a Country) all over the world. Meanwhile at home, his followers are still so enamoured by his "Glow" they can't see the forest because the trees are in the way.

I would guess it will take a U.S. City going up in a mushroom cloud before they start to see the "Light" isn't....

Jimmy Carter should be pretty happy now that he isn't going to be #1 on the worst President list.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,925,804 times
I don't think "doomed" is a good word to describe one trip. No one expects that one trip is going to turn around 8 years of "benign neglect" that Bush showed toward the Middle East. It's not the end, it's not even the beginning of the end, but it can be the end of the beginning".

Not to fault Bush for all the problems in the ME but let's review the bidding on what he did:

1. Unleashed Ariel Sharon on the Palestinians. No one on the Arab side was going to consider the US as an honest broker with Bush's overly pro-Israel stance. Since the Palestinian issue is a uniting one for everyone in the ME this was a mistake.

2. The whole idea of a "war on terror" personified by "Islamofascists". This made the invasion of Iraq look like a way to teach the "backward Arabs" a lesson. The entire neocon idea of invading Iraq as a "good thing" was laughable, or cryable.

3. Lumping all "extremist" groups together was similarly bad. Bush made no distinction between "nationalist" resistance groups like Hamas and Hezbollah, and Al-Queda. This tended to strengthen the extremists.

4. Demonizing Iran and Syria. Bush probably had good, ideological reasons to do so, but he thought that doing so would let him line up moderate Arab states against them. Like a lot of his ideas this one was a disaster. Iran is stronger than ever and the idea of a Sunni coalition against Iran and Syria didn't work because they and the rest of the region are still upset over Palestine and are seen as defenders and supporters of Hamas and Hezbollah.

5. The whole idea of "reform and democracy"in the ME. Great idea, but to get anything done he needed the support of Egypt and Saudi Arabia, so he had to dial back that plan and rhetoric. And of course when Hamas was elected he refused to deal with them. So much for "democracy" in the ME.

Not blaming everything on Bush, but don't plan on one trip reversing 8 years of failed policy.

Thanks to Gary Kamiya at Salon.

golfgod

Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,961,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
There is no olive branch that any mid east country will accept. Unless it involves the United States leaving the middle east all together.
So quit buying the Obama rhetoric that somehow he is going to bring peace to a region that has been in battles for 1000 years.
You can't lump what all Muslims want from the US Government.

I love Chinese food.

My mom hates it.

We're both American.

So quit trying to group everybody on the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies