Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of you don't like California, but we could have some interesting solutions coming out of the financial mess the state is in. First, the governor said he wants to eliminate all welfare in the state, and now he's suggesting a flat tax.

Some of you who now hate California may end up being envious of the state if these things pass.

Schwarzenegger suggests state consider flat tax | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I know a lot of you don't like California, but we could have some interesting solutions coming out of the financial mess the state is in. First, the governor said he wants to eliminate all welfare in the state, and now he's suggesting a flat tax.

Some of you who now hate California may end up being jealous if these things pass.

I would like it if I still lived in Irvine but I am not jealous. We have no state tax income here in TX. BTW I don't hate CA or Californians, especially since all my family lives there and all my friends and their families.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
everywhere should have a flat tax, but then we hear the "fair share" argument that makes no sense.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
I won't be envious. We don't have a state income tax at all.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
We have no state tax income here in TX.
We posted the exact same thing at almost the exact same time. We Texans just love to make that known, don't we?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
We posted the exact same thing at almost the exact same time. We Texans just love to make that known, don't we?
I have only been here (TX) 1-1/2 years so I don't think I could call myself a Texan but the answer is yes! CA can have their flat tax but it won't help the horrendous economy much. It really stinks because CA used to be a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I won't be envious. We don't have a state income tax at all.
True. I wish that was the case here. I actually like Oregon's system best: A moderate income tax with no sales tax. I hate sales taxes. There are now some cities in California where the sales tax is over 10%. It's crazy.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
There are now some cities in California where the sales tax is over 10%. It's crazy.
Our sales tax is capped at 8.25%, in addition to no state income tax.

Now don't get me started on property taxes....entirely different story...

Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:

Some of you who now hate California may end up being envious of the state if these things pass.

I think a fair tax would be better

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
True. I wish that was the case here. I actually like Oregon's system best: A moderate income tax with no sales tax. I hate sales taxes. There are now some cities in California where the sales tax is over 10%. It's crazy.
I wish CA would start thinking about the people. It has chased so many corporate headquarters out to other states, so many industries down to Mexico and families to other states. I am glad I got out while the housing was still good. It allowed me to live much more comfortable in TX but I still worry about my family and friends. It is really getting tough for so many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies