Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

Why are 90% of black Americans so alienated from the GOP? I have a few African-American friends who actually sound very Republican but would never vote for the GOP. On social issues (like the family and gay rights) black Americans can be the most conservative segments of society. Questioning my friends on why this is, I could not get a straight answer other than they are "racist." Why really are African-Americans alienated from the GOP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:21 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Oh the GOP's problem is a lot more than just blacks.

2/3rds of Asians vote Dem. 2/3rds of Hipanics vote Dem. 2/3rds of all other minorities vote Dem.

I would guess it' because the GOP doesn't want to educate their kids. The GOP doesn't want to provide a minimum safety net for their mentally disabled, their elderly.

The GOP is against raising the minimum wage, against health care, against worker safety legislation, against clean air standards.

That's just for starters.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:43 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh the GOP's problem is a lot more than just blacks.

2/3rds of Asians vote Dem. 2/3rds of Hipanics vote Dem. 2/3rds of all other minorities vote Dem.
Where is he getting these statistics?

Quote:
I would guess it' because the GOP doesn't want to educate their kids. The GOP doesn't want to provide a minimum safety net for their mentally disabled, their elderly.
Wrong. They want school choice for their kids. And there is a minimum safety net. Its called charity. Its just not the job of government.

Quote:
The GOP is against raising the minimum wage, against health care, against worker safety legislation, against clean air standards.
They are against government interference in the marketplace. They favor free-market principles, oh you know, the ones that made our country great and prosperous?

Does government and taxation create prosperity? What does congress produce other than laws? Does the department of motor vehicles produce motors?

Get a clue.

Quote:
That's just for starters.
A horrible start to a horribly put together case. Try again and bring actual facts next time. Not distortions.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I could not get a straight answer other than they are "racist." Why really are African-Americans alienated from the GOP?
When it come to being straight forward, I always find that a one word answers is about as straight forward as answers can be, so, either you aren't listening or you are willfully ignoring the answer.

Now you can argue the validity of your friends perceptions, but perceptions, when it comes to alienation are reality but the bottom line is that African American's despite their social conservatism will generally side with those who they perceive to be their supporters.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Where is he getting these statistics?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/118937/Re...spx?CSTS=alert

Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

the bottom line is that African American's despite their social conservatism will generally side with those who they perceive to be their supporters.
In other words, they prefer group-think to individual analysis and thought.

Black-Americans do not need anyone's "support", they just need equal treatment. Nobody is going to bend over backward for your interests.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Thanks for the data. Let me see if I can find a more accurate data source.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
In other words, they prefer group-think to individual analysis and thought.

African-Americans do not need anyones "support", they just need equal treatment.
I see you are asking for another mental butt whooping.

Group think?

You seem to assume that because a consensus comes to the same opinion based upon individual experience that this is group think. I submit that when 90% of individuals come to the same conclusion based upon copious information that such a conclusion moves into the realm of common and accepted knowledge.

Any African American with half a brain, or sense of personal self-esteem after spending, oh let's say a couple of hours, perusing the post of conservative Republicans here on CD, a few clips of the leading Republican pundits and commentators, would be hard pressed to come away with anything other than the impression that conservatives have little interest in the issue confronting African Americans if not down right hostility to their interest.

Now the Republicans may have fooled you, but to paraphrase a famous Republican, you can fool some of the brothers all of the time, but you can't fool most brothers ever.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the data. Let me see if I can find a more accurate data source.

Translation: let me search for a source that agree with my opinion.

My Man,

Gallop is about as objective and as reputable as they come.

GOP Losses Span Nearly All Demographic Groups

The Institute of Politics at Harvard University recently released data from an online survey of 2,525 18- to 24-year-olds. Among the survey’s more notable statistics are those concerning party affiliation among Asian-Americans: 47 percent identify themselves as Democratic, 15 percent Republican and 39 percent independent — making them more Democratic than any other ethnic group except African-Americans in the survey.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7503.html

"Hispanics view Democrats as more concerned about their problems, with 57 percent who are registered voters identifying as Democrats and 23 percent as Republicans, according to the survey."

http://www.sbslawfirm.com/CM/News/Hi...-GOP-wanes.asp

Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
If the left keeps pushing gay marriage, both the black and hispanic communities will come to the "right" conclusion (See what I did there, huh, huh?)

Seriously, though, the social issues will be will be the deciding factor. Mark my words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies