U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM

10,543 posts, read 12,023,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This the problem with the Bushianic philosophy with divides the world into black and white, no gray, no nuance no complexity, either you're with us of agin us logic.

Your argument presupposes that there are only two types of Muslims (and I am being generous) those that are extremist and those that aren't. Of course this fails to recognize that there are literally millions of Muslims who are neither. The issue before us, and which Obama has attempted to address, is how to convince the millions of Muslims who reside ideologically in the middle, to take sides against religious intolerance and extremism.

So far the extremist only account for the smallest percentage of the Islamic world, but like any group, if the perception is that the west in general and the U.S. in particular is hostile to their religion and culture, through our actions and our words that small percentage will continue to grow larger and more deadly with every successive generation.

So which path would you prefer to continue down, the road of demonization or the road of peace and reconciliation?
So the strategy he has shown is to fight the extremists, recognize and state that they are a minority, and reach out to the moderate Muslims. How original!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,323,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"I do so recognising that change cannot happen overnight. No single speech can eradicate years of mistrust, nor can I answer in the time that I have all the complex questions that brought us to this point. But I am convinced that in order to move forward, we must say openly the things we hold in our hearts, and that too often are said only behind closed doors. There must be a sustained effort to listen to each other; to learn from each other; to respect one another; and to seek common ground. As the Holy Koran tells us, "Be conscious of God and speak always the truth." That is what I will try to do to speak the truth as best I can, humbled by the task before us, and firm in my belief that the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart."
"Obama and his administration have sowed new seeds of hatred against America.
"He has followed the steps of his predecessor in antagonising Muslims ... and laying the foundation for long wars."

-Tape purported to be of Osama bin Laden-

"Shun Obama, his Middle East trip was at the invitation of the 'torturers of Egypt' and the 'slaves of America'.
Obama is a criminal who is not welcome in Egypt".

-bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, to the Egyptian people-

Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM

41,314 posts, read 39,632,610 times
Quote:
Obama WILL finally reconcile WEST and EAST, US and Muslim countries
One speech should do it, right?

Quote:
So the strategy he has shown is to fight the extremists, recognize and state that they are a minority, and reach out to the moderate Muslims. How original!
This sounds vaguely familiar.

Oh, right! That was bush's strategy as well.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:03 AM

236 posts, read 343,000 times
Quote:
This the problem with the Bushianic philosophy with divides the world into black and white, no gray, no nuance no complexity, either you're with us of agin us logic.

Your argument presupposes that there are only two types of Muslims (and I am being generous) those that are extremist and those that aren't. Of course this fails to recognize that there are literally millions of Muslims who are neither. The issue before us, and which Obama has attempted to address, is how to convince the millions of Muslims who reside ideologically in the middle, to take sides against religious intolerance and extremism.

So far the extremist only account for the smallest percentage of the Islamic world, but like any group, if the perception is that the west in general and the U.S. in particular is hostile to their religion and culture, through our actions and our words that small percentage will continue to grow larger and more deadly with every successive generation.

So which path would you prefer to continue down, the road of demonization or the road of peace and reconciliation?

Thank you dear ovcatto!
US needs more people like you!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,776,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
"Obama and his administration have sowed new seeds of hatred against America.
"He has followed the steps of his predecessor in antagonising Muslims ... and laying the foundation for long wars."

-Tape purported to be of Osama bin Laden-

"Shun Obama, his Middle East trip was at the invitation of the 'torturers of Egypt' and the 'slaves of America'.
Obama is a criminal who is not welcome in Egypt".

-bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, to the Egyptian people-
I dont get the point of this post.

236 posts, read 343,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
One speech should do it, right?
Have you considered a chain reaction? This is the first push!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealace View Post
I too am thrilled to have Obama as our President. Finally.....we have a man who is a peacemaker!!!!!
And what exactly did GW Bush do before 9/11 to make you think that he was a war mongerer?
The times make the man and Obama will unfortunately be unable to live up to your expectations of him.

25,235 posts, read 14,073,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
how do you then explain his ramping up military operations in afghanistan?
Being a peacemaker does not mean he is not going to fight those that attacked this nation and will again if not dealt with. He is finally getting our military actions back on track after our little detour to Iraq. President Obama is obviously a believer in Diplomacy, something Junior failed to learn from his father. Will we still have to fight the war on terror such as in Afganistan, unfortunately, yes. But, will we now have a chance to unite the world behind peace instead of war and division? Well, we sure have a better chance now verses what we had over the last eight years. Now that is change I can live with, how about you, or would you prefer more isolation and war?
Casper

Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 AM

12,811 posts, read 8,823,071 times
Quote:

It is sad if you truly believe that. "Black and white" gets things done, shades of grey just leads to Bueracracy, red tape , and confusion.

"Peace and reconcilliation"? Thats just a nice way of saying "Pandering and capitulation" AKA the UN

Old 06-04-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont get the point of this post.
Were you not quoting Obama's recent speech? If not then I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies