Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:54 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I'm not sure this link will work, but yahoo has reaction to his speech posted.
Reaction to Obama's speech to the Muslim world - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090604/ap_on_re_mi_ea/obama_muslims_quote_box - broken link)
Those are not good comments. I had expected more positive reactions than the lukewarm ones he got. Oh well, I guess a speech did not work. Let's wait to see if actions will, assuming there will be some real tangible actions.

"Obama's speech is an attempt to mislead people and create more illusions to improve America's aggressive image in the Arab and Islamic world." — A joint statement by eight Damascus, Syria-based radical Palestinian factions, including Hamas.

"Whatever wounds America has inflicted on the world, they are very deep and they cannot be erased away by only one speech." — Pakistani political analyst Siraj Wahab, speaking on Aaj TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Oh well, I guess a speech did not work. Let's wait to see if actions will, assuming there will be some real tangible actions.

You really thought a speech would work? seriously?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You really thought a speech would work? seriously?
No I did not I just hoped for a little better reaction, most seem to be negative.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
So you wouldnt be affected if a politician got up and inspired his people with remarks such as "Kill the Americans and their allies - civilians and military, wherever they may be."
Well I am not sure If this has anything to do with what I said.
I just said a Politician will not inspire me with a speech.
I am considering the source.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Those are not good comments. I had expected more positive reactions than the lukewarm ones he got. Oh well, I guess a speech did not work. Let's wait to see if actions will, assuming there will be some real tangible actions.

"Obama's speech is an attempt to mislead people and create more illusions to improve America's aggressive image in the Arab and Islamic world." — A joint statement by eight Damascus, Syria-based radical Palestinian factions, including Hamas.

"Whatever wounds America has inflicted on the world, they are very deep and they cannot be erased away by only one speech." — Pakistani political analyst Siraj Wahab, speaking on Aaj TV.
That kind of mistrust is insurmountable -- only way to get past it is as you said, actions speak louder than words.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Well I am not sure If this has anything to do with what I said.
I just said a Politician will not inspire me with a speech.
I am considering the source.
How about if a politician inspired his people with something like, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"?

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'"?

"Today Christians … stand at the head of [this country] … I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity .. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit … We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press—in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past … [few] years"?

Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How about if a politician inspired his people with something like, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"?

yeah, and in the generations since then patriotism has dwindled. And you point is????

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
He could have promised the moon and the stars but it will make no difference. These people (for the most part) do not like the US and probably never will. The same can be said with the Palestinian/Israeli relationship.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
He could have promised the moon and the stars but it will make no difference. These people (for the most part) do not like the US and probably never will. The same can be said with the Palestinian/Israeli relationship.

^^^ exactly.
In fact, in their weird way of looking at the world, this speech probably makes America look weak.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
yeah, and in the generations since then patriotism has dwindled. And you point is????
I made it a couple of pages back.
Quote:
^^^ exactly.
In fact, in their weird way of looking at the world, this speech probably makes America look weak.
I dont think so -- he got down to what every human being wants and needs, and from there led into look, both sides must be allowed to exist in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies