Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Surely you can understand that he is trying to speak to people who DO believe the Koran is a holy book.
Yes, as I said, he was playing to the crowd. I was in Saudi Arabia for over ten years and spent a year in Iran during the Shah's time. I found that Moslems generaly know more about the Bible and Christian theology than the average Christian does. They respect a belief in God in those of other faiths, but can see through hypocrisy and despise atheists. I am not suggesting that Obama is not sincere in his faith, but he has said things that make his beliefs unclear and seemingly contradictory. This would cast doubt on other things he says. He has reversed himself on many things already in just these few months (do I need to cite some Google results for that? ) and is beginning to look weak and indecisive to me (and presumably others-no online source for this either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Did he renounce Christianity somewhere in his speech, or indicate that he values Islam above Christianity?

Here's the transcript: The White House - Press Office - Remarks by the President at Cairo University, 6-04-09

They all know perfectly well he is a Christian.

Would the goal of the speech have been achieved if he had not acknowledged at least a basic understanding of Islamic values or not touched on issues that are important to Muslims?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:13 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not if you are a Christian.
Anyone doubt the Christianity of Pope John Paul II?

Quote:
Only the Bible is holy. Not the Koran, or Bhagavadgita, or Tibetan Book of the Dead, or Sai Baba or Rajneeshes writings.
You are about 40 years behind the theological thinking of progressive Christians.

From Vatican II

"Religions, however, that are bound up with an advanced culture have struggled to answer the same questions by means of more refined concepts and a more developed language. Thus in Hinduism, men contemplate the divine mystery and express it through an inexhaustible abundance of myths and through searching philosophical inquiry. They seek freedom from the anguish of our human condition either through ascetical practices or profound meditation or a flight to God with love and trust. Again, Buddhism, in its various forms, realizes the radical insufficiency of this changeable world; it teaches a way by which men, in a devout and confident spirit, may be able either to acquire the state of perfect liberation, or attain, by their own efforts or through higher help, supreme illumination. Likewise, other religions found everywhere try to counter the restlessness of the human heart, each in its own manner, by proposing "ways," comprising teachings, rules of life, and sacred rites. The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men.Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself.(4)"

Quote:
The Bible proclaims that Jesus is the Son of God. The Koran denies that Jesus is the Son of God. Both cannot be true.
Well you are on shaking ground here since there are more than enough contradictions within the Bible to cause its veracity to be called into question.

[/quote]Obama has stated that he is a Christian. His words deny that claim.[/quote]

Only for the religious extremist be they Christian, Muslim or whatever. Most of the rational religious works have adopted a broader sense of ecumenicism, which even as a permanently "fallen" Christian and the son of a theologian seems to strike me as being a bit more Christ like.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:15 AM

Deusianne provided Cairo speech transcript:
I reply:
Thanks for the transcript but I listened to his speech; I try to hear them all, he is, after all, our President.

Delusianne said "They all know perfectly well he is a Christian."

I reply:
I would be comforted if I knew that with assurance.

I'm not against Obama; he is the Captain of the boat we are all in. I wish I could advise him on a few things though. I don't think he's getting good counsel. Anyway, don't bother responding, I'm done here. Thanks for your opinions.

Resume the Obama adoration fest.

Last edited by Bideshi; 06-06-2009 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

You are about 40 years behind the theological thinking of progressive Christians.
I am. In fact, about 2000 years behind, and thank God for it!

But I didn't mean to turn this into a religious thread. My point is that Obama seems to try to be all things to all people and that won't work.

I said I was going and I really am now. I pray that Obama will receive good counsel and sound guidance. I believe he is a good, decent man that is in a bit over his head. Who wouldn't be?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I'm sending you a DM about this.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-06-2009 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: cut the rant.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:

But I didn't mean to turn this into a religious thread. My point is that Obama seems to try to be all things to all people and that won't work.

I said I was going and I really am now. I pray that Obama will receive good counsel and sound guidance. I believe he is a good, decent man that is in a bit over his head. Who wouldn't be?
If you can come up with those 'link or links to articles or videos that illustrate your claims, "[t]he world is snickering at us in derision right now", and "[Moslems] see the contradiction in what he said"', I'd be much appreciative.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
I dare say that god had little to do with anything, by the way, do you still confine your wife to a hut during her menstrual cycle?

Leviticus 15:19

Quote:
My point is that Obama seems to try to be all things to all people and that won't work.
I guess he is just one of those foolish Christians, atoning for sins, seeking forgiveness, seeking peace, you know ye who is without sin, judge not lest ye be judged that kind of silly stuff.

Quote:
I believe he is a good, decent man that is in a bit over his head. Who wouldn't be?
Can we get an amen?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:45 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Surely you can understand that he is trying to speak to people who DO believe the Koran is a holy book.
He is a politician, we have all heard politicians talk to different crowds and they always patronize them, its what they do.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He is a politician, we have all heard politicians talk to different crowds and they always patronize them, its what they do.
Did you think he came across as patronizing? I havent seen that impression looking around at different responses to it.

Could you quote from the transcript the sections that made you feel this way?

The White House - Press Office - Remarks by the President at Cairo University, 6-04-09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies