U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,775,255 times
Reputation: 1348

Advertisements

I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.

Anyway, here's an interesting read, regarding college and successful CEO's:

CEOs-Without-College-Degrees: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: a bar
2,563 posts, read 5,035,364 times
Reputation: 2640
A college degree helps you get a foot in the door, nothing more. I work in IT, and most of the guys I work with don't have college degrees. If you're a reasonably intelligent, driven person, you have a great shot at success.

I'm also a leftist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
 
8,743 posts, read 10,247,730 times
Reputation: 3385
And as if Conservatives NEVER mock people who did not go to college.

Stupid thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 6,927,098 times
Reputation: 2314
Sonrise, you've got your facts (and your drawers) twisted. Leftists and progressives don't put a degree on a pedestal. Can you find any posts on this forum that says they do?

What we do find laugable is those on the right who constantly denigrate "book larning", higher education and prestigious awards. I've seen many on the right call the Pulitzer Prize worthless, and it's axiomatic among the right that the Nobel Prize, particularly as applied to Paul Krugman or Al Gore is "a popularity contest".

There's probably no need for me to get into those who decry "Darwin's theory" as "just a theory".

Years ago I read an article comparing and contrasting some college educated people with non-college grads. I'm not going to research it now (it was in the early '70s IIRC) but I do remember one glaring example;

Richard M. Nixon, college graduate, law school graduate. Most distrusted man in America.

Walter Kronkite, not a college graduate. Most trusted man in America.

I guess we could update those with a couple of others.

Harry Truman, I don't think had a college degree, and Ronald W. Reagan, no college degree. A middling Democratic President often extolled by Republicans, and a middling President, (but for some odd reason) loved and worshipped by Republicans.

George W. Bush, college degree (legacy admit) and MBA (legacy admit), a lousy President, hated by Democrats and disowned by Republicans.

We could add; George Washington, no degree, could not tell a lie. William Clinton, degree and Rhodes Scholar (I know, the righties think those selection for Rhodes or Fullbright are just "popularity" picks), could not tell the truth.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,775,255 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Sonrise, you've got your facts (and your drawers) twisted. Leftists and progressives don't put a degree on a pedestal. Can you find any posts on this forum that says they do?

What we do find laugable is those on the right who constantly denigrate "book larning", higher education and prestigious awards. I've seen many on the right call the Pulitzer Prize worthless, and it's axiomatic among the right that the Nobel Prize, particularly as applied to Paul Krugman or Al Gore is "a popularity contest".

There's probably no need for me to get into those who decry "Darwin's theory" as "just a theory".

Years ago I read an article comparing and contrasting some college educated people with non-college grads. I'm not going to research it now (it was in the early '70s IIRC) but I do remember one glaring example;

Richard M. Nixon, college graduate, law school graduate. Most distrusted man in America.

Walter Kronkite, not a college graduate. Most trusted man in America.

I guess we could update those with a couple of others.

Harry Truman, I don't think had a college degree, and Ronald W. Reagan, no college degree. A middling Democratic President often extolled by Republicans, and a middling President, (but for some odd reason) loved and worshipped by Republicans.

George W. Bush, college degree (legacy admit) and MBA (legacy admit), a lousy President, hated by Democrats and disowned by Republicans.

We could add; George Washington, no degree, could not tell a lie. William Clinton, degree and Rhodes Scholar (I know, the righties think those selection for Rhodes or Fullbright are just "popularity" picks), could not tell the truth.

golfgod
Just the other day, two different posters were calling Rush a loser because he "couldn't cut it in college" as they put it; despite the fact that Rush makes $25 million/yr. College is a scam for the most part, in my opinion. You pay a ton of money for a degree then get a job that pays less then the first year of your tuition. Bachelors degrees are worthless now a days. Unless you have a masters or doctorate, you're better off working right out of high school, unless you're on a scholly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Idaho Falls
5,027 posts, read 5,525,848 times
Reputation: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.
Point to one. I dare you.

You wingnuts have no credibility because of statements like this (and that's why Rush and Hannity have no credibility either - they are masters at creating and attacking straw men).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,507,957 times
Reputation: 10298
I think it is well understood that you don't have to go to college to be successful. Interestingly enough, there are numerous Hollywood movie stars who never went to college either and are quite successful. Some of them never finished high school. Maybe those Hollywood Liberals are on to something...

...THE END.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,456 posts, read 12,692,240 times
Reputation: 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I've seen more then a few of those on the far left hold a college education on a pedestal as if it's a religion and mock those that choose not to follow that path. Ironically, it's always Rush and Hannity that get ridiculed, never Bill Gates; wonder why.

Anyway, here's an interesting read, regarding college and successful CEO's:

CEOs-Without-College-Degrees: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
I've never seen that, nice strawman though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,775,255 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Point to one. I dare you.

You wingnuts have no credibility because of statements like this (and that's why Rush and Hannity have no credibility either - they are masters at creating and attacking straw men).
Stewart spot on in the Rush video...

Post #16. How do you like your crow; broiled, bbq'd or fried? Oh, and there's more, but you just asked for one. Not holding my breath for an apology. You really live in an "us versus them" world, don't you? We're not your enemy bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Illinois Delta
5,763 posts, read 4,341,479 times
Reputation: 2060
My godfather had to go work in the coal mines in England at 13, after his father died. He was one of
the smartest men I knew, and was an autodidact...he never lost the desire to learn more, and he did
exactly that until he was stricken with senile dementia. Too many people think that they've made it through high shool, vocational school, college or whatever and don't have more to learn; I know that I will be like my godfather, curious about almost anything and learning until I drop. IMHO, it's bizarre that the party of "old money" and Ivy League educations has suddenly become anti-intellectual; they
need a good dose of William F. Buckley. It's about learning as much as possible so that you can use
logic and information-gathering to make the best decisions possible. Or reading enough to know that
there really isn't anything new under the sun, and being able to understand why the world has evolved as it has. There are people who are unaware that, for roughly 1100 or 1200 years there was
only one Church in Europe..the Roman Catholic Church. Reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales gives one a tremendous amount of information about how his contemporaries viewed that church as it had
evolved, and how people lived in Medieval times. Learning helps one to put all of these various things
together. Life is one big never-ending class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top