U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,781 posts, read 23,755,254 times
Reputation: 6174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I know NC State is required to cut 18% from the budget for next year. Can you say freak out?

They even tried to lower Research Asst salaries by 0.5%, but the students yelled and screamed until it was aborted. It was obviously out of principle, because @ 18K/year, 0.5% is minuscule.
Out here in California, the reductions should be pretty substantial. Most of the impact will likely be at the county and city level, the state appears to be going with rotating fuloughs (don't know how that his counted in unemployment or hourly compensation statistics).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,571,264 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Come on In Obamatrons !! WHERE ARE YOU???

cricket noise cricket noise
You WANT our economy to fail! You're e-v-i-l!!!

Sorry, had to eliminate a possible Obamatron course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I know NC State is required to cut 18% from the budget for next year. Can you say freak out?
And thats what I dont get. Why cant states run a surplus on some years and bank it for a rainy day? They all have to rush out and spend their surpluses the minute they have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
They even tried to lower Research Asst salaries by 0.5%, but the students yelled and screamed until it was aborted. It was obviously out of principle, because @ 18K/year, 0.5% is minuscule.
Cant say I disagree with them, how much were those running things having their pays cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
 
5,165 posts, read 5,308,734 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Lame conclusion to draw without seeing how things would have been like without stimulus. Besides, the stimulus is not a magic wand like the kind republicans seem to have (but forgot to use while they had the driver's seat).
They told us unemployment would not go over 8% with the Stimulus so they could scare americans and get the pork filled bill passed. That does not bother you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,496,708 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Looks like tax refund stimulus benefits
Where? I didn't get mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,496,708 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Lame conclusion to draw without seeing how things would have been like without stimulus.
Did you look at that chart, the one from obama's economic team? It clearly shows the trend with/without the stimulus, and then the REALITY.

Here it is, directly from Roamer and Bernstein;

http://otrans.3cdn.net/45593e8ecbd339d074_l3m6bt1te.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Come on In Obamatrons !! WHERE ARE YOU???

cricket noise cricket noise
They will be along any minute now to blame Bush..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,824,895 times
Reputation: 12162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
They told us unemployment would not go over 8% with the Stimulus so they could scare americans and get the pork filled bill passed. That does not bother you?
No. Because I understand the situation, and the recovery package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,496,708 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
No. Because I understand the situation, and the recovery package.
So you knew they were full of crap is what you're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,346,365 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Lame conclusion to draw without seeing how things would have been like without stimulus. Besides, the stimulus is not a magic wand like the kind republicans seem to have (but forgot to use while they had the driver's seat).
Thats because the "stimulus" bill did not stimulate, it wont stimulate, it was never intended to stimulate. It just spends money without. As it not being a "magic wand", directly cutting checks to tax payers or, godforbid, tax cuts have immediate affects in lowering the unemployment rates..


But you cant give tax cuts can we? Lets go the opposite route, raise taxes on those with money and this is what happens. Sit and make excuses all day long but that doesnt change facts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top