U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,600,789 times

Advertisements

Answers to Your Questions For a Better Understanding of Sexual Orientation & Homosexuality

Much like things like lobotomies, research is what caused them to remove it from the DSM-IV.

Quote:
Is homosexuality a mental disorder?

No, lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations are not disorders. Research has found no inherent association between any of these sexual orientations and psychopathology. Both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality. Both have been documented in many different cultures and historical eras. Despite the persistence of stereotypes that portray lesbian, gay, and bisexual people as disturbed, several decades of research and clinical experience have led all mainstream medical and mental health organizations in this country to conclude that these orientations represent normal forms of human experience. Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding. Therefore, these mainstream organizations long ago abandoned classifications of homosexuality as a mental disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM

This explains it very well:
http://www.psychiatryonline.com/DSMP...y_Revision.pdf

Quote:
For a mental or psychiatric condition to be considered a psychiatric disorder, it must either regularly cause subjective distress, or regularly be associated with some generalized impairment in social effectiveness or functioning. With the exception of homosexuality (and perhaps some of the other sexual deviations when in mild form, such as voyeurism), all of the other mental disorders in DSM-11 fulfill either of these two criteria. (While one may argue that the personality disorders are an exception, on reflection it is clear that it is inappropriate to make a diagnosis of a personality disorder merely because of the presence of certain typical personality traits which cause no subjective distress or impairment in social functioning. Clearly homosexuality, per se, does not meet the requirements for a psychiatric disorder since, as noted above, many homosexuals are quite satisfied with their sexual orientation and demonstrate no generalized impairment in social effectiveness or functioning.
The only way that homosexuality could therefore be considered a psychiatric disorder would be the criteria of failure to function heterosexually, which is considered optimal in our society and by many members of our profession.

However, if failure to function optimally in some important area of life as judged by either society or the profession is sufficient to indicate the presence of a psychiatric disorder, then we will have to add to our nomenclature the following conditions: celibacy (failure to function optimally sexually), revolutionary behavior (irrational defiance of social norms), religious fanaticism (dogmatic and rigid adherence to religious doctrine), racism (irrational hatred of certain groups), vegetarianism (unnatural avoidance of carnivorous behavior), and male chauvinism (irrational belief in the inferiority of women).

Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,984,983 times
It was taken out of the diagnostic manual a few versions ago as it should have been.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,756,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
since i am old i remember when it was removed---it was due to homosexuals not wanting the stigma of a mental illness and yes there was quite a bit of pressure placed on the medical community to have it removed led by renown gay psychiatrists----homosexual orientation was considered a natural part of human developmental phase and thereby called a personality disorder when one did not develop past that phase to a hetersexual orientation---no response needed here--just giving info on what was the thought on being homosexual a few years ago

and by the way some mini lobotomies are being done today for a variety of medical /psychiatric disorders---look it up

Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,951,915 times
I agree with the article completely. This is not much different than the Global Warming activist threatening and retaliating against any scientist that disagrees with them.

If same sex was a normal pairing they too would produce offspring.

I would elaborate but I am sure there will be at least 10-20 more gay threads throughout the day.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I agree with the article completely. This is not much different than the Global Warming activist threatening and retaliating against any scientist that disagrees with them.

I would elaborate but I am sure there will be at least 10-20 more gay threads throughout the day.
I guess when people are sterile and married, they are not in a normal pairing.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
since i am old i remember when it was removed---it was due to homosexuals not wanting the stigma of a mental illness and yes there was quite a bit of pressure placed on the medical community to have it removed led by renown gay psychiatrists----homosexual orientation was considered a natural part of human developmental phase and thereby called a personality disorder when one did not develop past that phase to a hetersexual orientation---no response needed here--just giving info on what was the thought on being homosexual a few years ago

and by the way some mini lobotomies are being done today for a variety of medical /psychiatric disorders---look it up
Not in the same manner lobotomies were performed decades ago, and not for the same reasons. They're not icepicking teenagers brains for being "defiant" any longer.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM

13,694 posts, read 15,593,568 times
Quote:
Another lesson is that same-gender sex activists are so desperate to cover their deeply dysfunctional condition that they will stop at nothing to hide the facts from the public. Award-winning writer and same-gender sex activist Randy Shilts describes the denial among men that have sex with men, about their unhealthy lifestyles causing AIDS to be epidemic among them when he writes, “…the desperation of denial: how when something is so horrible you don’t want to believe it, you want to out it out of your mind and insist it isn’t true, and how you hate the person who says it is.” (And the Band Played On, 1988, p. 182) Desperate denial –this seems to be what drives the deceit, psychological manipulation, and intimidation of both scientific groups and the public.
It's a sick lifestyle.

I can't believe that only 32% of the APA voted for removing it from the list of disorders because 7,000 members didn't vote at all.

The intimidation and outright manipulation tactics used by the "Gay Crusaders" are still being employed today. I am surprised that a group of psychiatrists allowed the lunatics to control the madhouse.

Amazing.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:25 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I guess when people are sterile and married, they are not in a normal pairing.

That is a medical condition, not a mental or abnormal condition.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM

13,694 posts, read 15,593,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or