Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

No one....and I repeat NO ONE will ever be worse than Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
He had to step in a stop them from going on strike. If you knew ANYTHING about how you are not allowed to stop the flow of people, goods or services that are vital to our country then you need to refrain from posting about it.
That is not the reason behind it. A government union going on strike was illegal, it was in the union contracts the air traffic controllers originally signed when they took the job. Reagan gave them 48 hours to break it up, they didn't, and so they were replaced.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Have any of you people ever heard of Jimmy Carter? Now he was the worst President we ever had.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No one....and I repeat NO ONE will ever be worse than Bush.
Reagan was. He turned the Republican Party into what it is today. Bush finished what Reagan started.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Reagan was not the worst President,in fact, in terms of fooling the American people, he was absolutely brilliant. In this regard he was one of the best ever, he still has the right wing fooled, as the GOP Presidential Debates proved when every candidate (except Ron Paul) paid homage to and bowed to the myth of Ronnie Reagan for the sheep like, FOX News informed rightwing

The truth about Reagan?

1) He helped create modern day terrorism. Military help and training to Bin Laden in Afghanistan led to 9/11 and the mindset that terrorists could defeat a superpower in battle, as they did to the Soviets and will eventually do to the United States in Afghanistan too.

2) He spent money recklessly, leaving huge budget deficits and throwing away BILLIONS of dollars to the defense industry on his "Star Wars" nonsense. He essentially restarted the military industrial complex and hurtled us headlong into rearming a nation that today spends more money on weapons than the rest of the world. Combined.

3) He has a bloody legacy of aiding and training right wing terrorists in Central and South America. None of his ignorant supporters even know about this, but Central and South America well remembers the bloody Reagan years.

4) Reagan ignored the AIDS crisis and fast tracked the destruction of the Middle Class. It all started with Ronnie.

Reagan was perhaps the media age's greatest fraud, and the most successful illusionist of modern history.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:55 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
4) Reagan ignored the AIDS crisis
Read my post #23 and maybe you will stop posting inaccurate claims.

Quote:
and fast tracked the destruction of the Middle Class. It all started with Ronnie.
The Middle Class were certainly doing a lot better by the end of Reagan's 1st and 2nd term than they were by the end of Cater's one (and only... thank God) term!

Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Reagan was not the worst President,in fact, in terms of fooling the American people, he was absolutely brilliant. In this regard he was one of the best ever, he still has the right wing fooled, as the GOP Presidential Debates proved when every candidate (except Ron Paul) paid homage to and bowed to the myth of Ronnie Reagan for the sheep like, FOX News informed rightwing.
You bigotry for anything not MSNBC and related to Obama is rather disturbing, and I would like to request that you knock it off so you can engage in intelligent discussion like everyone else. Despite your best efforts to perpetuate lies, Reagan continues to climb the ranks of the top 10 best presidents. However, it was not so much about his policies, but rather his optomism and strong influence on our nation as a whole both in the 80s, and up through the 90s and today.

Quote:
1) He helped create modern day terrorism. Military help and training to Bin Laden in Afghanistan led to 9/11 and the mindset that terrorists could defeat a superpower in battle, as they did to the Soviets and will eventually do to the United States in Afghanistan too.
I was not aware that Reagan helped the Ayatollah during the Iranian Revolution. It seems that Carter was the one poking the hornets nest with a stick on that one. By harboring the Shah he really turned Iran against us, and did a far better job than any revolutionaries every could of firing up Islamic extremism.

At that point in the late 70s, those who we now label as our enemies were our allies. In return for weapons and funding, they provided intel, hostage release, and kept the influence of the USSR out of the region. At the time, nuclear war was a hell of a lot more worrisome than a suicide bomber, and for that reason I do not blame American presidents from Nixon to H.W. Bush for trying to find allies in the unlikeliest of places.

Quote:
2) He spent money recklessly, leaving huge budget deficits and throwing away BILLIONS of dollars to the defense industry on his "Star Wars" nonsense. He essentially restarted the military industrial complex and hurtled us headlong into rearming a nation that today spends more money on weapons than the rest of the world. Combined.
In case you didn't know it, the Strategic Defense Initiative was not intended to be a real, viable system. Instead, it was intended as a bluff, to force an already economically weak USSR to spend excessive amounts of money on nonexistent technology. In that regard, it was a major success. Even better, research into SDI laid the foundation for modern missile intercept and defense systems - Had that funding not occurred, we would not have been able to stop any of the SCUDs from raining down on NATO allies during the first Gulf War.

The US does not have a numerically large military, our strength lies in our airpower and technology. You would not be using a computer or the internet right now if it wasn't for Reagan. I hope you don't use fiber optics, GPS, or a cell phone either. All those technologies were expanded upon by the military, and converted to civilian use by Reagan's order.

Quote:
3) He has a bloody legacy of aiding and training right wing terrorists in Central and South America. None of his ignorant supporters even know about this, but Central and South America well remembers the bloody Reagan years.
This is where things get kind of sketchy. Left wingers like to believe what you have posted here, and obviously right wingers do the opposite. From a historical perspective it is a bit more difficult to figure out. I had to do a 30 page paper on Reagan for my political science class, and it seemed like every book I read on the issue had something different in it.

One of the more popular thesis' about the incidents is that Reagan funded small bands of right wing revolutionaries in Central America (not South America). However, at the same time, left wing radicals began their meteoric rise, knowing Reagan, he could not let Communism and subsequently an ally of the USSR have a second Cuba in the Americas.

In the late 80s, propaganda emerged from the left wing groups portraying the Contras as responsible for murder of a small village in the region. It leaked to the US, and the media picked up on Iran-Contra after investigation. At the end of the affair, Contras no longer received funding, and neither did the left wing organizations, effectively ending the bloody conflict.

Quote:
4) Reagan ignored the AIDS crisis and fast tracked the destruction of the Middle Class. It all started with Ronnie.
He certainly did not ignore it, he chose not to publicize funding for AIDS programs started by him because it contradicted his campaign mantra. The middle class grew by leaps and bounds under Reagan, so your last point is moot. Also under Reagan, minorities rose to the middle class for the first time in history.

Quote:
Obama is perhaps the media age's greatest fraud, and the most successful illusionist of modern history.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
You bigotry for anything not MSNBC and related to Obama is rather disturbing, and I would like to request that you knock it off so you can engage in intelligent discussion like everyone else. Despite your best efforts to perpetuate lies, Reagan continues to climb the ranks of the top 10 best presidents. However, it was not so much about his policies, but rather his optomism and strong influence on our nation as a whole both in the 80s, and up through the 90s and today.

I was not aware that Reagan helped the Ayatollah during the Iranian Revolution. It seems that Carter was the one poking the hornets nest with a stick on that one. By harboring the Shah he really turned Iran against us, and did a far better job than any revolutionaries every could of firing up Islamic extremism.

What I just highlighted is a perfect example of "what you are not aware of"

Your conceptions are flawed, likely fed by right wing propaganda. Unfortunately for you I dont feel like explaining any of it to you or giving you a history lesson, so you likely will remain clueless on the topic.

But if you think it starts with Iran, you'd have to go back to 1953 to get your answer. Otherwise, if we are strictly talking about 1980-1988, we can focus instead on Afghanistan and Reagan's legacy of fundamentalist Islamic terrorism. Oh, and by the way, Reagan armed and trained terrorists all over the Western Hemisphere, almost none of these being Muslim terrorists

Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What I just highlighted is a perfect example of "what you are not aware of"

Your conceptions are flawed, likely fed by right wing propaganda. Unfortunately for you I dont feel like explaining any of it to you or giving you a history lesson, so you likely will remain clueless on the topic.
You can strawman all you want, but you have lost all credit with me. You can't debunk it, and the Huffington Post is not going to help you this time. I was hoping more or less than that a more intelligent left winger would come in and engage in debate, but saginasta isn't usually on until later in the evening.

Quote:
But if you think it starts with Iran, you'd have to go back to 1953 to get your answer. Otherwise, if we are strictly talking about 1980-1988, we can focus instead on Afghanistan and Reagan's legacy of fundamentalist Islamic terrorism. Oh, and by the way, Reagan armed and trained terrorists all over the Western Hemisphere, almost none of these being Muslim terrorists
If you really want to trace the roots of Islamic extremism and what they use to motivate their followers, it goes further back than 1953. The Allied invasion of Iraq is probably where I would pin the beginnings of American intervention, although it really started with Roosevelt's oil deals with the Saudis in the 1930s. Of course, this is probably a bit over your head, if you are lucky I will break it down for you, or even provide a 30 page research paper I had to write.

I also never knew Reagan was a field instructor to Islamic fundamentalist, I wonder what he taught them considering all of his military experience comes from making educational films during WWII.. Seems to me you are confusing some of the shady characters in Reagan's administration, as opposed to the man himself.

Even worse, you ignore the fact that Bush Sr. and even Bill Clinton continued the legacy of selling weapons across the globe that began with FDR before WWII. The film Lord of War brings into light the dealings by many military powers worldwide, and their barbarian attempts at influencing developing countries.

However, I don't expect you to understand. Anyone who originally used political slander to make a point probably doesn't have much to support himself by.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM

297 posts, read 349,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
He certainly did not ignore it, he chose not to publicize funding for AIDS programs started by him because it contradicted his campaign mantra.

He most certainly DID ignore the HIV/AIDS crisis for political expediency, until 1987, a full six years after the first cases were reported. He was the first President to sell his soul to the "Religious Right":
Presidency, U.S. - The Body

The reasons for his silence can be debated; The fact that he chose to remain silent cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies