Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Article one section eight US constitution: Powers of Congress

"To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;"

What the liberty dollar folks are doing is unconstitutional and they should be shut down.
Now show me where the Constitution prohibits Individuals from doing the same.

Start with the 9th and 10th Amendments.

Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States

No State shall coin Money; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 04:07 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Now show me where the Constitution prohibits Individuals from doing the same.

Start with the 9th and 10th Amendments.

Section 10 - Powers prohibited of States

No State shall coin Money; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts
Actually I will start with the very next line in article 1 section 8

"To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;"

Old 06-06-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Actually I will start with the very next line in article 1 section 8

"To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;"
The most common way to "counterfeit" current coin would be to duplicate images and then use a baser metal for its substance. That's what the Government does with it's sandwich coins.

But to make a one ounce coin of .999 silver with my image on it is not counterfeiting.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
The most common way to "counterfeit" current coin would be to duplicate images and then use a baser metal for its substance. That's what the Government does with it's sandwich coins.

But to make a one ounce coin of .999 silver with my image on it is not counterfeiting.
It's not YOUR image that was on the coin in question - unless you look like Lady Liberty.

Ken

Old 06-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
It's not YOUR image that was on the coin in question - unless you look like Lady Liberty.

Ken
So will the test for this counterfeit charge follow copyright infringement rationale?

It looks similar enough to fool the general public?

Besides, fooling someone is not against the law.

Like in civil cases where the plaintiff must prove damages or loss, in a criminal case the plaintiff must prove that the defendant was attempting personal gain from fraud or violation of law.

Did anyone receiving the coins in question believe they were Government issue? Care if they were Government issue? What caused that belief?

I don't have enough facts to know what went down.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:

No counterfeiting is "Made in imitation of what is genuine with the intent to defraud i.e. counterfeit money"

It says clearly that Congress has the Power "To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;"

The highlighted part are the key words. Congress has the power regulate the value of money. As such random people cannot just make money and say it is $20 i.e. the liberty dollar image on pg .1 of the thread. (This is also the reason any play money that looks like real money is stamped "not legal tender.") The liberty dollar folks have violated Congress' right to determine the value of money and as such Congress has every constitutional right to punish these people as counterfeiters.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
No counterfeiting is "Made in imitation of what is genuine with the intent to defraud i.e. counterfeit money"

It says clearly that Congress has the Power "To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;"

The highlighted part are the key words. Congress has the power regulate the value of money. As such random people cannot just make money and say it is $20 i.e. the liberty dollar image on pg .1 of the thread. (This is also the reason any play money that looks like real money is stamped "not legal tender.") The liberty dollar folks have violated Congress' right to determine the value of money and as such Congress has every constitutional right to punish these people as counterfeiters.
Congress does not have rights it has powers.

Persons have rights.

Congress has the power regulate the value of its money, not my money.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Congress does not have rights it has powers.

Persons have rights.

Congress has the power regulate the value of its money, not my money.
Fine they have violated congress' "power" to regulate the value of money. Even so they have the power to regulate not only their money but also all foreign coin. Meaning they have the power to regulate the value of all coin, (because if it is not theirs it is foreign you cannot say Liberty dollars are both not US currency and not not US currency that does not work.) and as such they are acting within the scope of their constitutional powers.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:23 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They may very well be a form or protest, but their effectiveness as a protest is precluded by the the similarity of their minted coins to US treasury coins. If people don't know they are accepting Liberty dollars, they aren't protesting, they are being duped. The similarity causes confusion, and negatively impacts the integrity of the US monetary system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Or the fact that liberty dollars were designed to be very similar to those worthless US dollars threatens the integrity of the national currency system?
I think that's the point. But the idea that someone accepting the liberty dollars being duped is ridiculous. After all, they are getting something that is worth more than a dollar: a silver coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, that's EXACTLY the point. It crossed the line from being a private token to being counterfit US money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Someone who mistakes liberty dollars for US dollars is too stupid to live.
That is just laughable. i would rather have a liberty dollar than the fake ones that the Federal Reserve deems valid. Am I too stupid to live? Liberty dollars are MORE valid forms of currency than Federal Reserve notes. They are actual silver and gold coins for goodness sake! Federal Reserve notes are just fancy IOU notes.

Quote:
You'd think that after a few thousand years of use as money, silver coins would have been grandfathered in as cash lawful money of the United States.

I think the U.S. Constitution might have a comment about this operation.
Yep. That it's to be encouraged.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
That is just laughable. i would rather have a liberty dollar than the fake ones that the Federal Reserve deems valid. Am I too stupid to live? Liberty dollars are MORE valid forms of currency than Federal Reserve notes. They are actual silver and gold coins for goodness sake! Federal Reserve notes are just fancy IOU notes.
I'd also rather than a liberty dollar, and I don't even accept cash for private transactions anymore, except for pre-1965 dimes/quarters due to 90% silver content. I only accept silver or gold bars/coins. Technically, I think this is illegal but I'm too small an operation for anyone to notice. Other than getting a strange look and a threat from a couple of folks to report me, I'm good to go.

The question was if someone mistook one for the other as a reply to the faulty assertion liberty dollars could be considered counterfeit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies