U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,177,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yep, I understand. If I were inclined to have a spouse and children, I'd have to think long and hard about remaining in California.
My son is out visiting us from Newport Beach. He has said the same thing. Being single with a pretty good job he has no desire to move but he realizes that when he settles down he may have to make a tough decision. That is sad because my wife and I had a choice, many young people won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,173,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I was not pushing TX,
I think our bragging makes us look like we're "pushing TX." I guess we just can't help ourselves.

There are benefits and drawbacks to every state, city, county, etc. That's the way it is.

I will say that I'm sick of people moving here. It's almost a constant flood.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think our bragging makes us look like we're "pushing TX." I guess we just can't help ourselves.

The problem is we have enough people here already and the constant stream of people moving in....we don't need any more. If we were smart, we'd actually try to make TX seem like the worst place on the planet.
I know that you are somewhat poking fun but I am concerned about TX becoming more like CA. I do not like nanny state environments. That is one reason why leaving CA was easier for us. I got tired of all the laws against everything under the sun. I remember when they passed the helmet law. Why should I not be able to ride without a helmet if I choose to. I am not even saying I do/would but if I wanted to I should be able to. I don't smoke, never have, never will. I will eat where I fill most comfortable. If restaurants want my business they will have to accommodate my needs. I don't want the government telling them. If I want to eat donuts made with trans fats I should be able to. I am an adult and I am perfectly capable of making decisions by myself. Sorry to get on my soapbox but I am an old hippie that turned conservative but kept my don't tell me what to do attitude.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I know that you are somewhat poking fun but I am concerned about TX becoming more like CA. I do not like nanny state environments. That is one reason why leaving CA was easier for us. I got tired of all the laws against everything under the sun. I remember when they passed the helmet law. Why should I not be able to ride without a helmet if I choose to. I am not even saying I do/would but if I wanted to I should be able to. I don't smoke, never have, never will. I will eat where I fill most comfortable. If restaurants want my business they will have to accommodate my needs. I don't want the government telling them. If I want to eat donuts made with trans fats I should be able to. I am an adult and I am perfectly capable of making decisions by myself. Sorry to get on my soapbox but I am an old hippie that turned conservative but kept my don't tell me what to do attitude.
I agree...for the most part. I read an article in the paper the other day describing several "nanny-type" bills the TX Legislature passed in its session that ended on Monday.

Texas has, by and large, avoided these type of laws thus far. It's a real concern.

The Democrats in the Legislature filibustered bills on illegal immigration and abortion, but the bills regulating tanning salons, how to fold the state flag, and the like sailed right through.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,945,066 times
Quote:
If I want to eat donuts made with trans fats I should be able to. I am an adult and I am perfectly capable of making decisions by myself.
I have libertarian leanings myself, but I do think the government can help in certain areas. For example, you mentioned trans fats. Most food producers didn't start removing trans fats from their products until the government required them to disclose the amount of trans fat on nutritional labels.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The Democrats in the Legislature filibustered bills on illegal immigration and abortion, but the bills regulating tanning salons, how to fold the state flag, and the like sailed right through.
You've got to be kidding.

When someone tells me how Texas government stays out of people's lives, I'll be sure to bring that one up.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You've got to be kidding.

When someone tells me how Texas government stays out of people's lives, I'll be sure to bring that one up.
They didn't make it illegal to fold the flag the wrong way. They simply put the "official" way to fold the flag into the law.

That bill took a day or two, thus preventing the Legislature from addressing issues such as school funding, illegal immigration, abortion, etc. A tactic.

Bills to impose a statewide smoking ban and to allow DWI checkpoints did not pass, so I'd say freedom won overall.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I have libertarian leanings myself, but I do think the government can help in certain areas. For example, you mentioned trans fats. Most food producers didn't start removing trans fats from their products until the government required them to disclose the amount of trans fat on nutritional labels.
I have no problem with full disclosure because we can't make an intelligent decisions without information. I am all for educating people but let the people make their own decisions. That is the proper role of the government.

I am probably older than most on the forum but I can remember when liberals were all about letting people alone, less government intrusion and conservatives were more about regulations, etc.. It feels like it has been turned upside down. When I was young, liberals would have had a fit with things our government has done, is trying to do. It is strange to be old enough to have experience this change.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I can remember when liberals were all about letting people alone, less government intrusion and conservatives were more about regulations, etc.. It feels like it has been turned upside down. When I was young, liberals would have had a fit with things our government has done, is trying to do.
That's interesting, because a lot of conservatives here have expressed frustration with the Republican Party of the last several years. They remember a time when the Republicans were for less government intrusion.

Of course, others have argued that both parties are now for more government intrusion than they've ever been before. They differ in a few ways in the areas they intrude, but it's still intrusion, nonetheless.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Of course, others have argued that both parties are now for more government intrusion than they've ever been before. They differ in a few ways in which areas they intrude, but it's still intrusion, nonetheless.
Exactly. It's all a struggle for control - control over differing aspects of people's lives and/or control over big business. It's becoming worse on both sides.

Also, both the Democrats and Republicans on the federal level want to interfere with state and local government as much as possible, albeit in different ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or