Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:18 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Can you tell us if the glass steagall passed congress with a veto proof majority???

Thats right your republican congress passed it with a veto proof majority.
Like I said;

It doesn't take a teabagger to realize that both the Democrats and the Republicans have got their heads up their arears these days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 PM

532 posts, read 859,122 times
Default The blame game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Since all the GOP seems to do is bellyache, I'd love to hear how they would deal with this financial crisis that Bush left behind.

Also I'd like to know if they were up in arms over Bush's earlier stimulus plans and why they weren't stapling teabags to their heads back then?

Lets hear it, please be as thorough as possible.
Bush is gone. Obama is in charge now. I don't care what Bush would do. What I want to know, is what is Obama going to do. He doesn't seem to have anything better in mind than Bush did. More spending--more debt--no good changes yet. He is obviously ruining our country, even worse than Bush did. I am a fan of neither--but so far, he is making Bush look almost good, by comparison.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Like I said;

It doesn't take a teabagger to realize that both the Democrats and the Republicans have got their heads up their arears these days
Just pointing out the misconception in your post that it was Clintons fault. he had no choice but to sign it by law.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberta View Post
Bush is gone. Obama is in charge now. I don't care what Bush would do. What I want to know, is what is Obama going to do. He doesn't seem to have anything better in mind than Bush did. More spending--more debt--no good changes yet. He is obviously ruining our country, even worse than Bush did. I am a fan of neither--but so far, he is making Bush look almost good, by comparison.
Obviously to who??? It seems by the polls that hi approval is basically wingnuts disapprove and everyone else approves.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Just pointing out the misconception in your post that it was Clintons fault. he had no choice but to sign it by law.
No misconception;

It was Clinton's watch, and he didn't take it to the people like Reagan or JFK would have.

Both JFK and Reagan, were great Presidents ... because they had the balls to cry foul when congress chose to run amok.

A good President will take his case to the people when Congress attempts to pull a stunt like that ... neither Clinton or Bush were good enough Presidents to do that.

The Republican Congress wanted to be rid of Glass/Steagall just like the Democratic Congress pushed the sub-prime over the edge ... a recipe for bipartisan disaster ... for roughly 15 years, even up to today ... we've got worthless and gutless Congressional members and Presidents ... all of them on the take, corrupt, and worthy of the bipartisan disgust of Americans all across this country

It's like I said;

It doesn't take a teabagger to realize that both the Democrats and the Republicans have got their heads up their arears these days.

I don't support either the Democrats or the Republicans ... they are both as worthless as a teat on a constipated bull.

Last edited by bigskydude; 06-06-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I was never in favor of Bush bailouts.

And, if Clinton wouldn't have signed away the very last portions of the Glass/Steagall Act, we wouldn't be in this monitary mess now.

Banks should never be allowed to underwrite their own securities.

Glass-Steagall Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Was The Glass-Steagall Act?

bill clinton repeal of glass stegall and the financial crisis « a blog about whatever

William Kaufman: Shattering the Glass-Steagall Act

It doesn't take a teabagger to realize that both the Democrats and the Republicans have got their heads up their arears these days.
I'm asking what you would propose RIGHT NOW TO FIX THIS. That's the point of the entire thread.

Ya know..."Lets hear it."

Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
So Republicans again, here is your chance. I'm asking you to provide me with your outline of what we should do now to fix the mess our country is in.

So far nobody has done that. This thread is your opportunity to explain to everybody here what you think she be done.

Any takers? Be specific.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'm asking what you would propose RIGHT NOW TO FIX THIS. That's the point of the entire thread.

Ya know..."Lets hear it."
Part of the fix could involve putting Glass/Steagall back into place ... repeal TARP on Constitutional grounds, quit printing paper money, recall the debt on the other bailouts and tell Congress to knock-it-the-f**k off.

Oh, and electing a President that's got some cojones might be a good idea too.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:14 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
When I asked how anything would have been different with a McCain/Palin presidency, there were hardly any responses and the thread died.

Go figure.

We would not be apologizing to every third world dictatorship under the sun for liberating the oppressed subjects of one of those dictatorships. We would not have borrowed nearly a trillion dollars for a campaign slush fund being sold as a stimulus bill. We would not have quadrupled the deficit with a huge increase in spending for just about every area of the budget except missile defense. The interceptor system in AK was scaled down, and a prototype 747 with a missile destroying laser was scrapped at a time when new nuclear power N. Korea is testing a delivery system that could hit California. That's prudent! We would not have nationalized banks, auto manufacturers and ACORN. We would at least be discussing school vouchers although the Democrats in Congress would never take the side of students over the NEA.

I could probably go on about taxes, trimming the fat from the budget and producing our own affordable energy, but it doesn't really matter because America isn't ready to hear that just yet. What America is willing to hear is that the difficult economic times and national security issues that have come along are the fault of one person. No need to stop spending money we don't have or say no to unqualified credit applicants since that would require us to say no to some of the left's favorite groups. No call to risk offending Muslims by listening to their phone calls, detaining them or having a more intimate and honest discussion with them. No need to go outside the UN to defend ourselves from unconventional enemies or act pro-actively in our own defense.

These things will come about on their own when the time is right, but not before. What will change between now and then is the level of pain we endure. We haven't experience enough pain yet. GWB is the victim of his policies success. Were we to have been hit a second time on the magnitude of 9/11, we would still have a few Hollywood turn-coat apologists calling for more dialog with our non-uniformed enemies, but the average American would still remember why we were standing shoulder to shoulder. Now it's just Oprah and CNN calling the shots.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
bush is an idiot. no doubt about it. the government should stop the bailouts. they should lift corporate taxes on the $12 trillion currently invested overseas. the money would be brought home and invested domestically if the taxes weren't so brutal. the most important thing to do is to pay down the national debt, and strengthen the dollar.
Bush is an idiot? Bush called for GSE oversight reform back in 2001. Guess who opposed it? Think the Democratically controlled Congress will go along with corporate tax reductions? The Fed is currently buying our own debt with monopoly money because the Saudis and Chinese don't have enough confidence to take on more of it. Don't look for that dollar to get stronger anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies