U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,660,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am content with my own ability to succeed in the world. Regardless of the situation, I will come out a success. Why is that? Because I take responsibility for my actions. When I fail, I do not blame someone else or make excuses. I look at my errors and attempt to learn from them. My place in life is of my own choosing. That is none of your business, none of your concern. Your fragile little world comes crumbling down when you can not place people in the spots you think they should be. That is not a failing of society, that is a failing on your part to understand that people will make mistakes, they will make errors and if they choose not to learn from them, that is their own concern to deal with those consequences. The world you would create with your fantasy world ideal would be a cold and dark prison of abuse, of servitude and submission to your ideal.
You dont seem to have researched the actual topic, but you sure have used a lot of time and bandwidth to talk about yourself and to attack me personally.

It's everyone's concern to deal with the consequences of others' poor choices; Im sure you resent handing all your tax money over to Obama's Cadillac-wielding urban welfare queens, dont you?

You say you wont let your comfort zone be infringed upon by the gubmint; how do you feel about a draft, when a president calls for one? Would you be, or would you have been, a draft dodger? Or were you one, like XVP Chain-y, who also "had other priorities" than serving his country?

No one is plotting to put you in chains in a cold dark prison of abuse, servitude and submission. This is not 1984 and it's not a slippery slope. It's an innocuous thing that would help the US in the long run, along the lines of The President's Physical Fitness Award.

Since the pleasure of the chain-fantasy is more important to you than actually looking up the reality of this thing, I looked it up for you. No, no need to thank me.

This is the original idea:
The Obama administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation's challenges. President-elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.
Scary?

Looks to me as if he left out working Americans.

So far, Obama has signed "the Serve America Act [,which] will increase the size of AmeriCorps from 75,000 volunteers to 250,000 by 2017" and provided "$201 million in funding for the Corporation for National and Community Service to support an expansion of AmeriCorps State and National and AmeriCorps VISTA programs." Beyond that, this proposal for an exploration committee to be formed -- HR 1444 -- is as far as any civil service plans have gotten.

With the requirements of the budget, it's possible that anything resembling the original plans is not likely to get too far off the ground. So you can cling to the chains of your own choosing and breathe a tiny, inaudible sigh of relief. For the time being, anyway... Bwahahaha.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:31 AM

4,998 posts, read 1,989,352 times
Ya just gotta wonder about people that insist it can't happen here while it's happening here.

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

"They don't really mean it will be REQUIRED by ALL. Where did you get that silly idea?"

Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 AM

4,998 posts, read 1,989,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You can not force people to do better, to succeed, to get better, to be better. Only they can help themselves. You can encourage them, give incentives, use social majority to institute acceptance of behavior, but you can not... ever... force it if you wish to retain "freedom" as the foremost aspect of our society.

The fact that you do not realize this means you do not respect individual freedom, rather you respect your view on what it should be. That makes you no different than all of the oppressive dictators throughout history who also tried to paint society into a pretty little picture of their approval. Moderator cut: personal attack

Very good post!

It really does not phase me that this idea is unworkable - I'm upset Democrats are making the attempt.

I fear Obama supporters are beginning to find their inner Stanford Prison.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,274,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully there will be something in place before the next Prez election. And, there needs to be a clause stipulating that children of the wealthy and/or influential should be first in line.

I'm really, really looking forward to this. It may be the O's best move yet.

SARC OFF

Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 AM

34,990 posts, read 34,660,839 times
Rahm Emanuel has all your IP addresses, you know

Old 06-07-2009, 08:35 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,486,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Rahm Emanuel has all your IP addresses, you know
Good. If not, I'll send that sycophant little wimp my IP address via email and snail mail.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,297,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Very good post!

It really does not phase me that this idea is unworkable - I'm upset Democrats are making the attempt.

I fear Obama supporters are beginning to find their inner Stanford Prison.
This is what the people want. This is what Obama promised.
Everyone will be equal. The wealthy will be taxed to death so that the poor can reap government benefits to make them equal.
The government will take care of us..just remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or