Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:25 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
Actually he is busy repairing our image and is being received well over in the Middle East and Europe. Bush did a grand job of ruining our image and reputation throughout the world... President Obama is indeed a breath of fresh air...
Really? I guess our image under Clinton was great when things like the Cole was bombed and the first attack on the WTC was attempted. I guess those were just misunderstandings and our image was fine then, right?

If you can read between the lines and get to the point that Obama is in fact "apologizing" for America in a round about way, then you are living in denial. Why can't we just be America and not try to appease other countries? I don't see anything good about the European model but I see lots of good in our country and how it was built. Maybe we just need to get back to basics and just be people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:27 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you may agree with obama that america has been arrogant and dismissive towards europe, but i do not.

President Chirac lectured the US leader on why Europe found America's attitude to these subjects overbearing and self-serving. Their discussion was described as "frank", which is the standard diplomatic code for a failure to agree. On the environment, in particular, the French President said all countries should learn to reduce pollution and the consumption of "resources that cannot be renewed".

'Friends' act by Bush and Chirac fails to heal rift - Europe, World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/friends-act-by-bush-and-chirac-fails-to-heal-rift-652439.html - broken link)

The rejection by the United States yesterday of a stronger agreement on the banning of germ warfare is perhaps the clearest indication yet of the extraordinary and dangerous self-absorption which sometimes appears to lie at the very heart of American policy. First Kyoto and missile defence – now, biological weapons. George Bush's cavalier defiance of world opinion is sometimes little short of breathtaking.

President Bush's arrogant negotiating style is all take and no give - Leading Articles, Opinion - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leading-articles/president-bushs-arrogant-negotiating-style-is-all-take-and-no-give-679020.html - broken link)

When the meeting finally got under way, the former KGB spy unleashed a tirade against Washington's plans to station a missile defence shield in Europe, all within earshot of reporters. Dr Rice and Mr Gates were taken aback by Mr Putin's open mockery of the missile plan, which is at the centre of frosty relations between Russia and the West.

Putin snubs Bush team then issues arms threat | Mail Online

European leaders frequently bristle about American behavior, but President Bush's abrupt decision this week to abandon a treaty on global warming has provoked even more than the usual level of anger and frustration.

''Irresponsible,'' ''arrogant,'' even ''sabotage'' are just a few of the charges that Europeans have leveled at Mr. Bush since he announced his refusal to follow through on the treaty, the Kyoto Protocol. And European Union representatives will take their case in favor of the accord to Washington on Monday, though their arguments are not expected to prevail.

Bush Angers Europe by Eroding Pact on Warming - The New York Times

FOXNews.com - Bush Scolds Dissenting NATO Allies, Dismisses Iraqi Overtures - U.S. & World

Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Really? I guess our image under Clinton was great when things like the Cole was bombed and the first attack on the WTC was attempted. I guess those were just misunderstandings and our image was fine then, right?

If you can read between the lines and get to the point that Obama is in fact "apologizing" for America in a round about way, then you are living in denial. Why can't we just be America and not try to appease other countries? I don't see anything good about the European model but I see lots of good in our country and how it was built. Maybe we just need to get back to basics and just be people.
America is not a seperate planet ....it's is part of this world and this world is way too small to NOT want to create friends and allies, countries who realize that to succeed we need all the help we can get.

Or would you prefer building more hatred and misunderstanding with the bush condescending-chest-pounding-caveman-bravado BS that didn't win many true friends.

Would you prefer more conflict and wars??? REALLY!!!????

Old 06-06-2009, 07:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
President Chirac lectured the US leader on why Europe found America's attitude to these subjects overbearing and self-serving. Their discussion was described as "frank", which is the standard diplomatic code for a failure to agree. On the environment, in particular, the French President said all countries should learn to reduce pollution and the consumption of "resources that cannot be renewed".

'Friends' act by Bush and Chirac fails to heal rift - Europe, World - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/friends-act-by-bush-and-chirac-fails-to-heal-rift-652439.html - broken link)

The rejection by the United States yesterday of a stronger agreement on the banning of germ warfare is perhaps the clearest indication yet of the extraordinary and dangerous self-absorption which sometimes appears to lie at the very heart of American policy. First Kyoto and missile defence – now, biological weapons. George Bush's cavalier defiance of world opinion is sometimes little short of breathtaking.

President Bush's arrogant negotiating style is all take and no give - Leading Articles, Opinion - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/leading-articles/president-bushs-arrogant-negotiating-style-is-all-take-and-no-give-679020.html - broken link)

When the meeting finally got under way, the former KGB spy unleashed a tirade against Washington's plans to station a missile defence shield in Europe, all within earshot of reporters. Dr Rice and Mr Gates were taken aback by Mr Putin's open mockery of the missile plan, which is at the centre of frosty relations between Russia and the West.

Putin snubs Bush team then issues arms threat | Mail Online

European leaders frequently bristle about American behavior, but President Bush's abrupt decision this week to abandon a treaty on global warming has provoked even more than the usual level of anger and frustration.

''Irresponsible,'' ''arrogant,'' even ''sabotage'' are just a few of the charges that Europeans have leveled at Mr. Bush since he announced his refusal to follow through on the treaty, the Kyoto Protocol. And European Union representatives will take their case in favor of the accord to Washington on Monday, though their arguments are not expected to prevail.

Bush Angers Europe by Eroding Pact on Warming - The New York Times

FOXNews.com - Bush Scolds Dissenting NATO Allies, Dismisses Iraqi Overtures - U.S. & World
Thanks for at least getting these into the record, ovcatto.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Let me ask, does anyone really think that France or Germany cares about the United States? Does anyone know how much in foreign aid we give each year to countries throughout the world? These simple rhetorical questions are ignored daily by America Apologists.

Organizations such as the UN are eunuchs in the global community and countries such as France and Germany were knee deep in corruption with Iraq in the oil for food programs and yet we are supposed to placate them and Arab nations whom we protect daily.

Maybe we don't need to be the world's policeman any longer since our hand seems to be bit constantly. Let's let the countries in conflict ruin each other, fight their own wars and such and we won't find the weak need to apologize for anything.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you may agree with obama that america has been arrogant and dismissive towards europe, but i do not. again, this thread is more of a thank our soldiers thread, SINCE THIS IS THE D-DAY ANNIVERSARY!

by the way, i don't think obama is working with all of europe on his giant spending bonanza since germany has objected vociferously to the spending plan. i might add that germany has the best credit rating in the EU so that should tell you something.
Then the thread should not have started with an attack on the President, if one does so they open the door to rebutals.
As for D-Day, it should have had a thread dedicated to it and the BS left at the door, those that endured it deserve better than this thread. IMHO.
Casper

Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Let me ask, does anyone really think that France or Germany cares about the United States? Does anyone know how much in foreign aid we give each year to countries throughout the world? These simple rhetorical questions are ignored daily by America Apologists.

Organizations such as the UN are eunuchs in the global community and countries such as France and Germany were knee deep in corruption with Iraq in the oil for food programs and yet we are supposed to placate them and Arab nations whom we protect daily.

Maybe we don't need to be the world's policeman any longer since our hand seems to be bit constantly. Let's let the countries in conflict ruin each other, fight their own wars and such and we won't find the weak need to apologize for anything.

Well, you did answer one of my questions....you think the U.S. IS a seperate planet.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
America is not a seperate planet ....it's is part of this world and this world is way too small to NOT want to create friends and allies, countries who realize that to succeed we need all the help we can get.

Or would you prefer building more hatred and misunderstanding with the bush condescending-chest-pounding-caveman-bravado BS that didn't win many true friends.

Would you prefer more conflict and wars??? REALLY!!!????
I don't think I ever said I wanted more conflict. My point that you seemed to miss was that we were hated under Clinton and Bush and we will continue to be hated under Obama. But I would rather be hated and have some convictions and integrity. Not this chest thumping bravado that you talk about which doesn't exist. Again, we provide aid and protection for so many throughout the world, we still maintained talks with many nations and stood up to them when it mattered. I would rather operate from a position of strength over weakness. I am sure that is why all of these other nations are happy now.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well, you did answer one of my questions....you think the U.S. IS a seperate planet.
I do? Thanks for putting words in my mouth. We are a separate country who seems to help out more than anyone in the world. I don't think you really have many points but that is mine.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
I don't think I ever said I wanted more conflict. My point that you seemed to miss was that we were hated under Clinton and Bush and we will continue to be hated under Obama. But I would rather be hated and have some convictions and integrity. Not this chest thumping bravado that you talk about which doesn't exist. Again, we provide aid and protection for so many throughout the world, we still maintained talks with many nations and stood up to them when it mattered. I would rather operate from a position of strength over weakness. I am sure that is why all of these other nations are happy now.
Obama is trying to lessen that hate directed toward us, which hate Bush absolutely and deliberately exacerbated for eight long years.

This builds a strong and inexpensive foundation for "help[ing] out more than anyone in the world" seems to me.

Is that a good thing, or should he not bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies