Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You shouldnt jump to conclusions so easily. The issue is much more complex than whether or not finances will be the cause
Fine, then please educate me as to why people would possibly want to leave their suburban lives (where there ARE jobs) to go live in an apartment with no land, no room for their children to play, and they give up freedoms to travel where/when you want because they then rely on public transportation. Waiting for a good response for your doomsday scenario against the subburbs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 08:30 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, thats EXACTLY what I said.

And I have been saying here for SIX + months, that fear caused the market to sell off, to the point that it was oversold..
Sorry, I misread you post.

As for fear driving the market - I'VE said all along that Bush panicked the markets with his "deer in the headlight" appearance when the financial meltdown happened.

Ken

Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Clearly, investors disagree with your silly "Doom and Gloom" assessment.

I suspect your job of spreading fear and panic is going to get harder and harder as the year progresses.

Ken
I'm not too terribly concerned either way, as I'm good to go regardless of direction.

I'm flattered you think my realistic outlook (as you like to call it "doom and gloom") is dangerous and pervasive enough to compel you to post articles sporting rose colored glasses.

Considering that oil is going up, foreign stocks are going up, the dollar is going down, and gold is going up, I'm doing quite well regardless. FAR better than US investors.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Fine, then please educate me as to why people would possibly want to leave their suburban lives (where there ARE jobs) to go live in an apartment with no land, no room for their children to play, and they give up freedoms to travel where/when you want because they then rely on public transportation. Waiting for a good response for your doomsday scenario against the subburbs..
Because of travel limitations. Have you ever ridden your bike to work before? How many Americans can get from their home to their workplace on something that uses no oil?

You are a perfect example of what is called "sleepwalking towards the cliff".

Oh, and that does not factor in Mother Nature, either. Your head will explode if I even start discussing that

Old 06-06-2009, 08:41 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Well, I think that there is SOME truth to what Odanny said. I think that rising energy costs will put more of a focus on higher density living. Certainly I've seen that trend here in the Seattle area (though clearly part of the reason for that has been the high cost of land) - and it IS true that in places like Phoenix the furthest out developments have generally been the hardest hit during the housing collapse - mostly because people are reluctant to buy too far away from their work.

I would not expect to see any "total collapse of suburbia" as a nationwide trend though - in part because as suburbia grows it also creates jobs of its own and becomes no longer simply a "bedroom community" but a rather a city in it's own right - that has been VERY obvious here in the Seattle area.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 06-06-2009 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Clearly, investors disagree with your silly "Doom and Gloom" assessment.

I suspect your job of spreading fear and panic is going to get harder and harder as the year progresses.

Ken
Don't worry....

"He'll never win the Election"

Old 06-06-2009, 04:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
There is going to be a major change in the way Americans live in the upcoming years, and Americans are nowhere near ready for it. Oil consumption is increasing all over the world and supply is running out, Oil is a finite resource that will not last forever. It's availability becomes increasingly less with each passing day, and will remain that way until it is gone. We are purposefully built, since the end of WWII, as a society that needs oil to live and to function each day. And not just the transportation that it provides, but the gas for tractors to fill your plate with steroid and pesticide laden foods and keep your home cool in the increasingly hotter summer months.

Someday, large swaths of present day suburbia will be vacant. We are broke and indebted to the Chinese for I dont know how many trillions of dollars and are presently engaged in two wars, neither of which can ever be "won" by any reasonable measurement.

It's gonna be a bumpy ride, and its gonna get bumpier.
THere is PLENTY of oil left.... much of it is in your own back yard though it will be expensive to extract - but the potential is there.. Aside from that - i'm sure Canada will give the U.S first dibs to our tar sands - there's enough there to keep you guys going for decades

By that time - Oil will only be a necessity if the attitude of the day is that it is a necessity - it doesn't have to be.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
THere is PLENTY of oil left.... much of it is in your own back yard though it will be expensive to extract - but the potential is there.. Aside from that - i'm sure Canada will give the U.S first dibs to our tar sands - there's enough there to keep you guys going for decades

By that time - Oil will only be a necessity if the attitude of the day is that it is a necessity - it doesn't have to be.
Another problem is the kind of oil that is going to be left is the kind that is increasingly hard to refine, and takes alot of energy to do so. The cost of extraction and refining will increase as well. Those tar sands are terrible on the environment, consume a ton of energy to refine and lead to clear cutting large swaths of Alberta to get at it.

As far as oil "not having to be a necessity" there is no magic bullet on the horizon. We are not presently working towards an alternative with any enthusiasm or foresight of what is in store for us.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:10 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
Another problem is the kind of oil that is going to be left is the kind that is increasingly hard to refine, and takes alot of energy to do so. The cost of extraction and refining will increase as well. Those tar sands are terrible on the environment, consume a ton of energy to refine and lead to clear cutting large swaths of Alberta to get at it.

As far as oil "not having to be a necessity" there is no magic bullet on the horizon. We are not presently working towards an alternative with any enthusiasm or foresight of what is in store for us.
I agree about what you said re: Alberta Tar Sands - it isn't the best source of oil - but still cheaper to extract than the oil shales. There is a big enviro impact - I concur.

Its funny i watched a documentary titled "who killed the electric car' and there was pretty snazzy looking electric car GM built in the 90's called the EV1 and it was an viable battery powered car with limited mtce -- good range and speed... the whole premise behind the show was who killed it .. the consumer, big oil, the automotive manufacurers etc.... very interesting. My point is I think there is a way - just not a collective will.... too bad.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Sorry, I misread you post.

As for fear driving the market - I'VE said all along that Bush panicked the markets with his "deer in the headlight" appearance when the financial meltdown happened.

Ken
I've been saying it for six months now, the market was over sold, so any short term recovery is simply a recovery of the market, not the economy..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5641114-post168.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies