U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
 
8,640 posts, read 7,951,314 times
Reputation: 2854

Advertisements

The world is waking up to the disaster liberals pose. Will we go further down before people wake up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM
 
Location: The D-M-V area
13,694 posts, read 15,591,634 times
Reputation: 9519
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
Jesus christ! Comparing american and european conservatives? I've see it all now lol
Your tag says you're in Michigan.

what do you know about california?

and furthermore what do you know about conservatives in europe?

grasping at liberal straws when confronted by the opposition with a real life rational perspective.

amazing.

keep dwelling on propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Seattle Area
3,455 posts, read 6,298,712 times
Reputation: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Your tag says you're in Michigan.

what do you know about california?

and furthermore what do you know about conservatives in europe?

grasping at liberal straws when confronted by the opposition with a real life rational perspective.

amazing.

keep dwelling on propaganda.
What do you know about European conservatives, have you lived in Europe...or spent any amount of time in Europe?

If you did you would know that European conservatives are quite different than American conservatives.

Sure there are some similarities, however most American conservatives would think that the average European conservative was a Socialist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post

Sure there are some similarities, however most American conservatives would think that the average European conservative was a Socialist.
Not only that, the Labor Party is pretty much despised by the British left which during the invasion of Iraq were regularly up in arms over Tony Blair and New Labor which they considered to be nothing more than a "poodle" to Bush's neo-cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
Reputation: 14896
"Meanwhile the Liberal Democrats flopped, as part of the mainstream, while the Conservative party came first only by default of doing less badly than Labour. Its 28% was not exactly an endorsement of a party aiming to win a big majority at Westminster within a year."

Editorial: Labour in crisis: change or die | Comment is free | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 13,997,486 times
Reputation: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
One thing to remember is that European conservatives are much more "liberal" than American conservatives.

European Conservatives defend a large welfare state, high taxation and collective responsibility. To most American conservatives this would be close to Fascism.
Thanks for pointing that out, many so-called conservatives in Europe would be consider far-left in this country. Plus if no one noticed the majority of "conservative" gains in Europe are directly related to immigration issues there, not about the economy, social programs, military involvement in the current conflicts or or about religion. I wish them luck, because their future and ours are directly linked.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 06:52 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
Reputation: 14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, many so-called conservatives in Europe would be consider far-left in this country. Plus if no one noticed the majority of "conservative" gains in Europe are directly related to immigration issues there, not about the economy, social programs, military involvement in the current conflicts or or about religion. I wish them luck, because their future and ours are directly linked.
Casper
And then again, some are just plain Fascist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Florida
62,631 posts, read 34,138,335 times
Reputation: 10389
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
People I have talked to in London say they have had it with legal and illegal immigration. Some tourist areas of London are now off limits because of the violence.
Would you mind telling us which areas in London are off limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
 
Location: The Silver State (from the UK)
4,663 posts, read 7,314,891 times
Reputation: 2862
The European elections were not an endorsement of conservative politics but a protest vote against the sitting governments. Less than half of eligible voters actually bothered to vote, and in the UK the conservative party achieved about 27% of the total. Fringe parties were the biggest gainers.

As for the British National Party (that has been mentioned here a few times).. they are a right wing racist bigoted party that gained 2 seats. This will actually frighten people into voting during our national elections.. where you will see them only gaining votes from idiots.. cast back to the reality that they wouldn't be allowed to run a local supermarket, let alone the country.

Gordon Brown will lose the next election, and we will be faced with the unfortunate prospect of a clueless conservative (David Cameron) who will only prolong the recession by freezing spending, cutting welfare with no plans to create jobs, and deregulating the financial markets... excellent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Florida
62,631 posts, read 34,138,335 times
Reputation: 10389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
The European elections were not an endorsement of conservative politics but a protest vote against the sitting governments. Less than half of eligible voters actually bothered to vote, and in the UK the conservative party achieved about 27% of the total. Fringe parties were the biggest gainers.

As for the British National Party (that has been mentioned here a few times).. they are a right wing racist bigoted party that gained 2 seats. This will actually frighten people into voting during our national elections.. where you will see them only gaining votes from idiots.. cast back to the reality that they wouldn't be allowed to run a local supermarket, let alone the country.

Gordon Brown will lose the next election, and we will be faced with the unfortunate prospect of a clueless conservative (David Cameron) who will only prolong the recession by freezing spending, cutting welfare with no plans to create jobs, and deregulating the financial markets... excellent!
The Green Party made big gains. It appears the EU Parliament has four leftist parties and a several right parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top