Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times

Advertisements

dang burdell, we are thinking alike for the moment, i like it I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Lightbulb the system-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Do you listen to Rush on a regular basis? Rush does not call women femi-nazis. A term like that is referred to radical feminists in the N.O.W. organization.

While we are at it, lets get rid of Keith Olbermann on MSNBC who commonly makes fun of the president, pull the plug on The View, get rid of Jon Stewarts Daily Show...is this what you want? I rarely find myself in agreement with these people and could easily find the stuff they say offensive. How thin skinned are you?

Possibly my error then. Rush strikes me as a misogynist. I am not thin-skinned at all- but any public person using derisive comments should be ready to face up to the consequences. Granted, Imus is probably the fall guy- but this is the system- he played in it-he's a big boy.

Now the lawyers will be encircling, for sure. That is how civil litigation works in the good ole USA.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM

i hope they catch Rosie ODonnell but the system doesnt work that way, they are trying to get rid of the conservatives not the liberals

Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Watched it once-iI hate "The View". That would be great if they changed its format and used a woman with education. But that's show-biz. It is all hype.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
john stewart, anderson cooper, the view, katie couric, ken olberman, tavis smiley, all news channels since we cant have an opinion any longer
Opinions are fine, but derogatory remarks about people who are not well known, or not a public figure, is a different category. I think those in politics or entertainment know they're open to crude and rude comments and they probably don't have much opposition to it since it gets them free press one more time. Calling a young lady "ho" is way beyond a matter of free speech.

I never even knew who these girls were until all this came up, but after seeing and hearing them, I admire them more and more. They've shown just how classy they are and how off base Imus was.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
i hope they catch Rosie ODonnell but the system doesnt work that way, they are trying to get rid of the conservatives not the liberals

Dang Jack! Just when we were thinking alike ya go and get all partisan on me Imus is a conservative?

And just for the record, either Sharpton OR Imus could call me a white devil honky bastid, I can honestly say I won't be scarred for even a single nanosecond

Old 04-12-2007, 02:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think it just another indication of how sadly misplaced priorities are in this country. That this is a classic case of making a mountain of a molehill. It's sad that this incident has gotten more media attention than the poor care offered combat wounded veterans or the attempted cover-up of deaths like Pat Tillman's.

I hope they publish a list of the knee-jerk advertisers pulling their ads, I will be happy to send each a letter explaining why I will avoid their products.

And apparently the Reverend doesn't believe in the concept of forgiveness, what a true man of God,
Agree 100%. This is ridiculous imho. This man has made jokes about gays and has gotten no big backlash, same with latin americans, etc. I know someone is going to take this the WROOOOONG way but the african american community has one of the absolute best noise machines in the nation. It's sad that it is used this way. Suspension and scrutiny + new show regulations would have been enough. Imus isn't some monster he does A LOT of charity work for children with cancer, and the like. This is just sad. BTW I am not racist before some fool attempts to make the claim I am. I am a gay male with black friends and a latin partner...so don't even try to make that claim.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:07 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Quote:
LOL, care to back that up with some sort of evidence?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:33 PM

me neither burdell. I didnt think Imus was a conservative either, someone said he was a registered republican, that might be so, he is not a conservative though, perhaps a moderate or a liberal or libertarian but he supported Kerry so i am not sure he is all that libertarian.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:36 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Now the lawyers will be encircling, for sure. That is how civil litigation works in the good ole USA.

Now I'm not claiming this is known about this particular case but in general we know it happens. Should the system work this way when cause for action is artificially created through scripted response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies